Automatic shifter issues (not related to the broken bushing)

schabj3

Having an issue similar to the broken bushing. However, after inspection the bushing that connects the cable to the shifter is fine and still connected…

However, the car will not shift out of park probably. But I can go under the car and push the mechanism and it can go into drive (emergency brake engaged otherwise my head would get smushed). When I arrive somewhere, I can shift it to park but can’t get it back in drive unless I go back under the car and push it again.

Any solutions? Does the entire cable need to be replaced? Would like to DIY but this may be outside of my abilities.

It's possible the nylon shift rod under the top of the shift handle has broken which is easily replaced. The top of the shifter, the part with the push button on it, is easily removed to check the nylon shift rod inside. Shift into Lo so the shifter handle is closest to you so you can pull directly up on the handle, it just pulls straight off if you pull hard enough. There are no screws or anything to remove, it just has a friction fit.

This is the nylon piece that commonly breaks. A chopstick is commonly used to replace it but I like using a piece out of a plastic coat hanger instead. It's more flexible, slides more easily. and you likely have one in a closet somewhere. The top does need a bit of carving to reduce its diameter so it fits properly.

Shifter with rod.JPG

Shifter-rod.jpg

It's possible the nylon shift rod under the top of the shift handle has broken which is easily replaced. The top of the shifter, the part with the push button on it, is easily removed to check the nylon shift rod inside. Shift into Lo so the shifter handle is closest to you so you can pull directly up on the handle, it just pulls straight off if you pull hard enough. There are no screws or anything to remove, it just has a friction fit.

This is the nylon piece that commonly breaks. A chopstick is commonly used to replace it but I like using a piece out of a plastic coat hanger instead. It's more flexible, slides more easily. and you likely have one in a closet somewhere. The top does need a bit of carving to reduce its diameter so it fits properly.

View attachment 395596

View attachment 395597

If the nylon piece isn’t budging with significant force, is that likely not the issue?

It’s in there pretty good, and needle nose pliers is not getting it out.

If the nylon piece isn’t budging with significant force, is that likely not the issue?

It’s in there pretty good, and needle nose pliers is not getting it out.
Can you pull it out more easily if you shove the shifter forward like to Neutral? It's normally pretty easily pulled out.

Neither of those photos show the transmission's shifter mechanism which is inside the console. But if the rod just doesn't want to come out it's not likely broken... though I cannot figure out why it won't come out.
I'd suspect something is wrong with the shifter mechanism under the shift indicator plate. I'd be inclined to remove the PRNDL shift plate (it just unsnaps and lifts up) then pull the shifter mechanism out to see why the nylon rod is not releasing its catch underneath it.

Capture.JPG