Questions about 42RLE automatic to NV3500 manual transmission swap

Hello everyone and anyone who's willing to throw in their two cents!

Been on the forum as a non member for many years getting advice (thank you all) and am finally stumped on an issue.

I got an 05 Wrangler Sport that's auto tranny died. My dad had a 97 lying around that was manual and an uncle of mine swapped out almost all the gear out. The only thing is, the tranny is from a 2002 TJ. All the other parts are from the 97 TJ. Also, I believe the PCM that the old jeep has doesn't fit the 05. I hear swapping auto to Manny is a bitch and a half, but the body of my 05 is almost rustless since it's from California, and we did have the 97 lying around.

It's not running at the moment because I had shoulder surgery and cannot drive it anyway, but I'm gonna be good soon, so I need to finish it up.

The tranny is already mounted on, as are most or the Manny parts. I have some questions that'd I'd love to be answered if someone could help me with.

1) What year do I need for the PCM? I'm assuming a 2005-2006 manual.

2) my uncle said that he was having trouble with the crank sensor. 2002 and 2005 are different. Do I need some sort of adapter?

3) the skim sensor will be an issue I assume. Maybe I could uninstall and reinstall? Or is there a work around?

4) any other information you could give me?

Thanks in advanced guys!

@mrblaine knows a good deal about these sort of swaps, so maybe he'll chime in and offer some of his wisdom on the subject.

Prior to 2005, there was a module for the engine (ECM) and the transmission (TCM) that were two separate units. In 2005 they switched to a single module (PCM) which contained everything.

I can tell you from playing around with the HPTuner software, there is an option to enable or disable the transmission software on the 05-06 PCMs. While I didn't actually try it myself to see if it works, I suspect you should be able to do disable the transmission portion of your PCM by having someone with the proper tools re-flash your PCM. Blaine will know of someone that can do this (if it can be done), and @Wranglerfix can likely do this as well, as he's a good go-to guy for PCM related stuff.

I can't answer the other questions, but hopefully that info helps to some degree.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Hello everyone and anyone who's willing to throw in their two cents!

Been on the forum as a non member for many years getting advice (thank you all) and am finally stumped on an issue.

I got an 05 Wrangler Sport that's auto tranny died. My dad had a 97 lying around that was manual and an uncle of mine swapped out almost all the gear out. The only thing is, the tranny is from a 2002 TJ. All the other parts are from the 97 TJ. Also, I believe the PCM that the old jeep has doesn't fit the 05. I hear swapping auto to Manny is a bitch and a half, but the body of my 05 is almost rustless since it's from California, and we did have the 97 lying around.

It's not running at the moment because I had shoulder surgery and cannot drive it anyway, but I'm gonna be good soon, so I need to finish it up.

The tranny is already mounted on, as are most or the Manny parts. I have some questions that'd I'd love to be answered if someone could help me with.

1) What year do I need for the PCM? I'm assuming a 2005-2006 manual.

2) my uncle said that he was having trouble with the crank sensor. 2002 and 2005 are different. Do I need some sort of adapter?

3) the skim sensor will be an issue I assume. Maybe I could uninstall and reinstall? Or is there a work around?

4) any other information you could give me?

Thanks in advanced guys!
You will need the under hood harness for the 05-06 manual. Or you will need someone to add a few wires to make the NSS switch circuit work.

You will need the conversion bellhousing from Advanced Adapters that moves the CPS from the left side of the trans over to the right side right above the starter.

The PCM should be able to be flashed for a manual and just not use the 4th plug. I haven't done it that way and always use the manual specific PCM.

If you have SKIM, how you deal with that depends on how you solve the PCM issue. If you get a manual PCM, it will have to be paired to the module. If you keep your current PCM and get it flashed, tell them to delete the SKIM function if you want to get rid of it or leave it alone if you want to keep it. We always keep the SKIM functional.

Driveshafts will need to be adjusted.
T-case will need to be checked to make sure the seal engages the snout on the t-case.

T-case shifter linkage is different between manual and auto.

You will need to sort out the reverse light function and tie that into the plug on the side of the AX-15.

@mrblaine knows a good deal about these sort of swaps, so maybe he'll chime in and offer some of his wisdom on the subject.

Prior to 2005, there was a module for the engine (ECM) and the transmission (TCM) that were two separate units. In 2005 they switched to a single module (PCM) which contained everything.

I can tell you from playing around with the HPTuner software, there is an option to enable or disable the transmission software on the 05-06 PCMs. While I didn't actually try it myself to see if it works, I suspect you should be able to do disable the transmission portion of your PCM by having someone with the proper tools re-flash your PCM. Blaine will know of someone that can do this (if it can be done), and @Wranglerfix can likely do this as well, as he's a good go-to guy for PCM related stuff.

I can't answer the other questions, but hopefully that info helps to some degree.
The separate TCM is only for 03-04. All other years have specific PCM's for auto or manual. Yes, give Mark a call at wranglerfix and find out if he can make the current PCM work.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'm speaking to my uncle later today to see what he needs out of what you told me. I'll give an update once things are rolling.
You will need the under hood harness for the 05-06 manual. Or you will need someone to add a few wires to make the NSS switch circuit work.

You will need the conversion bellhousing from Advanced Adapters that moves the CPS from the left side of the trans over to the right side right above the starter.

The PCM should be able to be flashed for a manual and just not use the 4th plug. I haven't done it that way and always use the manual specific PCM.

If you have SKIM, how you deal with that depends on how you solve the PCM issue. If you get a manual PCM, it will have to be paired to the module. If you keep your current PCM and get it flashed, tell them to delete the SKIM function if you want to get rid of it or leave it alone if you want to keep it. We always keep the SKIM functional.

T-case will need to be checked to make sure the seal engages the snout on the t-case.

You will need to sort out the reverse light function and tie that into the plug on the side of the AX-15.

Update:

I got a 2005 manual PCM that's matched with the VIN, and the motor won't start with the key.

The gauges are dead, they won't move at all and there's the key in the circle with a slash across it that lights up too. I'm guessing it's maybe a skim problem.

Mechanically, everything seems to work, because my uncle/mechanic was able to start it up by playing with the battery and I was able to move it forward and backwards a bit. Once I shut if off however, it won't start with just the key. Any idea of what could be wrong?

at this point, if the only option is to remove the skim sensor or to ask for a reflash for the pcm, I'll do it. Let me know what you guys think.

Edit:

We tried putting in the old pcm and the gauges go up and work like normal, the key symbol disappeared too, but it obviously won't start.

Last edited:
Update:

I got a 2005 manual PCM that's matched with the VIN, and the motor won't start with the key.

The gauges are dead, they won't move at all and there's the key in the circle with a slash across it that lights up too. I'm guessing it's maybe a skim problem.

Mechanically, everything seems to work, because my uncle/mechanic was able to start it up by playing with the battery and I was able to move it forward and backwards a bit. Once I shut if off however, it won't start with just the key. Any idea of what could be wrong?

at this point, if the only option is to remove the skim sensor or to ask for a reflash for the pcm, I'll do it. Let me know what you guys think.

Edit:

We tried putting in the old pcm and the gauges go up and work like normal, the key symbol disappeared too, but it obviously won't start.
Neutral safety circuit is where I would start.

Maybe that explains the starting issue, but what about the gauges?

I just removed the SKIM. No luck.
Darn jeep won't turn on with the original computer, but the gauges work.

With the manual PCM, it won't crank with the key and the gauges don't work, but it can be forced to start and will stay on. I'm completely lost lol.