Automatic Transmission Shifts Hard

Hoytcrx32

When my transmission is cold the second gear shifts hard. Once it warms up, it doesn’t do it. I had the computer reloaded and it will quit for a day or so then start again. The Transmission has been rebuilt by a very reputable company that does only transmissions. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you mean when you say you had the computer "reloaded"?

Have you checked the fluid level to make sure there's enough fluid in there?

When my transmission is cold the second gear shifts hard. Once it warms up, it doesn’t do it. I had the computer reloaded and it will quit for a day or so then start again. The Transmission has been rebuilt by a very reputable company that does only transmissions. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh I got this...hopefully.

Is this an Auto? To me this sounds like a case of low transmission fluid. Have you checked the level recently?
Remember it is absolutely essential that the Jeep is warmed up, running and in neutral when checking the level on the dipstick. A wise man (Jerry) once told me that was the only way to get an accurate reading, and make sure you are using the correct fluid as well. You can also shift through each gear to make sure fluid is getting in each area.

I had a similar hard shift into 2nd on cold starts and when warmed up it wouldn't happen but once I checked the fluid in this manner (warmed up, running, and in neutral), I found that my fluid was low, and in fact I needed almost 2 quarts of ATF. Once the fluid was added, the issue simply went away and has been perfect since.

I hope this is the issue with you and not something worse, check your fluid and let us know. Good luck!

Last edited:
Oh I got this...hopefully.

Is this an Auto? To me this sounds like a case of low transmission fluid. Have you checked the level recently?
Remember it is absolutely essential that the Jeep is warmed up, running and in neutral when checking the level on the dipstick. A wise man (Jerry) once told me that was the only way to get an accurate reading, and make sure you are using the correct fluid as well. You can also shift through each gear in neutral to make sure fluid is getting in each area.

I had a similar hard shift into 2nd on cold starts and when warmed up it wouldn't happen but once I checked the fluid in this manner (warmed up, running, and in neutral), I found that my fluid was low, and in fact I needed almost 2 quarts of ATF. Once the fluid was added, the issue simply went away and has been perfect since.

I hope this is the issue with you and not something worse, check your fluid and let us know. Good luck!

X2. This is exactly what I'm thinking as well.

Hey guys I hope this thread is not too old to get a response but I am having a similar issue. I have a 2002 jeep wrangler X automatic with 79k+miles. I have checked the transmission fluid level, warmed up and in neutral, while running. it was at min level, put added a quart of ATF+4 in there, now its at max. but its still doing it. it does it regardless if its in a flat surface or in my drive way with small incline. it clunks or jolts into drive or reverse. I saw in another thread that I might be the transmission mount. or what lese could it be? I attached a video hopefully y'all can see it