Awful clunk on uneven right turns

jkimm7

This has been driving me nuts, Whenever I take a sharp right turn or turn right on an uphill or downhill, there is an awful clunk that seems to come from the back end. I have recently installed new shocks, new sway bar bushings and sway bar end links and still cannot find where the sound is coming from. I cannot replicate the sound parked or jacked up. Some of the control arm bushings are starting to show some dry rot but are not visibly worn. Would control arm bushings be the cause of this or produce a sound like this? the sound doesn't seem to be metal on metal but a much lower clunk (unfortunately that is as best as I can describe it) I have checked the play in the rear axle c clips and it is within the normal amount of movement. I do have 1.75 inch coil spacers if that might cause some original parts to be maxed out. Any suggestions are appreciated

This has been driving me nuts, Whenever I take a sharp right turn or turn right on an uphill or downhill, there is an awful clunk that seems to come from the back end. I have recently installed new shocks, new sway bar bushings and sway bar end links and still cannot find where the sound is coming from. I cannot replicate the sound parked or jacked up. Some of the control arm bushings are starting to show some dry rot but are not visibly worn. Would control arm bushings be the cause of this or produce a sound like this? the sound doesn't seem to be metal on metal but a much lower clunk (unfortunately that is as best as I can describe it) I have checked the play in the rear axle c clips and it is within the normal amount of movement. I do have 1.75 inch coil spacers if that might cause some original parts to be maxed out. Any suggestions are appreciated
I have to ask, have you checked the frame at the control arm mount for rust? Very common on a tj. Track bar bushings?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: TJBob
I read on here awhile back, about how it’s good practice to loosen up control arms and re-torque them once in awhile, with the vehicle on the ground. Something to do with coil springs settling over time and binding the bushings on the control arm. Idk if this would cause the arms to pop or clunk, but it could be a good place to start since you have the spacers.

Maybe one of these guys that has a bit more knowledge than I do will chime in for ya.

I had a mysterious clunk I chased for awhile. Turned out to be the rear sway bar end link on the driver side. The upper endlink bolt had worked its way loose. You said you have replaced all of that. May go back and double check torque just to be sure you didn’t miss a bolt.

Good luck!

Do you have some form of limited slip differential in the rear? Could cause this type of noise with quick turns.

Find a diagram online and check that all of your body mount pucks are in place.

Do you have a body lift?

I read on here awhile back, about how it’s good practice to loosen up control arms and re-torque them once in awhile, with the vehicle on the ground. Something to do with coil springs settling over time and binding the bushings on the control arm. Idk if this would cause the arms to pop or clunk, but it could be a good place to start since you have the spacers.

Maybe one of these guys that has a bit more knowledge than I do will chime in for ya.

I had a mysterious clunk I chased for awhile. Turned out to be the rear sway bar end link on the driver side. The upper endlink bolt had worked its way loose. You said you have replaced all of that. May go back and double check torque just to be sure you didn’t miss a bolt.

Good luck!
X2. The first thing I would check it the torque on the control arms. Every so often I hear a clunk in the rear end and so far every time the issue has been that my passenger side lower control arm needs to be re-torqued. In my case I usually hear a clunk if I quickly smash the throttle and let go. (think a bucking bronco).

Can you simulate the noise by pushing the jeep really hard side to side or jumping on the rear bumper?

X2. The first thing I would check it the torque on the control arms. Every so often I hear a clunk in the rear end and so far every time the issue has been that my passenger side lower control arm needs to be re-torqued. In my case I usually hear a clunk if I quickly smash the throttle and let go. (think a bucking bronco).

Can you simulate the noise by pushing the jeep really hard side to side or jumping on the rear bumper?
I will try re torquing the control arms, can't replicate it by jumping on the bumper, I will try side to side soon

I will try re torquing the control arms, can't replicate it by jumping on the bumper, I will try side to side soon

I had the exact same issue. TjBob's comment is right on

....rear sway bar in mine as well.

I had a mysterious clunk that I chased for a bit. Couldn't replicate it by jumping on it, shoving it side to side, etc. Only while driving. It turned out to be a control arm bolt. I finally gave up and took it in. The Mechanic hit them all with an impact, and broke the one that was loose. Apparently, it had been stretched and was not holding torque anymore (as I torqued it when I put it in). It was probably right on the edge of breaking when I finished. Just took another check to find it.

Do you have some form of limited slip differential in the rear? Could cause this type of noise with quick turns.

Is that common? I recently took mine to the shop for a mess of noises (bent axle, control arm bracket, and the slip on the rear 44 was no good.) I replaced it with a truetrac but hear that clicking noise on sharp right or quick turns. Sometimes on left as well. They told me at the shop (who only work on Jeeps) that it’s the slip. They checked the slip again and changed the gear oil after 500 miles and said everything looks perfect. Other than the click, it rides like a champ. It wouldn’t get to me as much if I knew that’s what it is lol

Is that common?

I honestly don’t know if it’s common or even a concern. I had read before that a LSD can cause a clunk when taking corners and it just got me thinking I guess. It makes some sense that if the differential locks especially on a vehicle with oversized tires while cornering, that there would be unfavorable stresses across the rear end. Ideally the differential would be open while cornering. When I posted that question I was actually hoping to get some affirmation that this could be the case.

Let’s ask @Rob5589 - he’s very knowledgeable about gearing.

A TT should be silent. There is nothing inside to "click" together like a true locker. If on the gas hard in a turn you may get a tad bit of tire chirp but it shouldn't click.

Reactions: Shinebox_LJ
I have the same problem but may be a little worse, I only hear this horrible sound when I turn right on un even ground or even just around a round about, and it comes from the back right end of the car, I have managed to record it and I’ve attached the sound below

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    7.6 MB
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    3.8 MB
Funny, it seems I’ve heard the same noise from my rear end before. Only sharp right turn, uneven ground.

Second time I heard it I thought it might be the LSD slipping. Maybe due to low oil level or wrong type of oil.

I’ve only had the Jeep about 6 months and haven’t changed the diff oil yet. Thought I might find out more when I pop the covers off to service ‘em.

Anyone else experience this?

Man....clunks are my arch enemy. They drive me nuts! On my Black Jeep I had a control arm that was digging into the bracket after having shifted on a trail, never noticed till the bracket was almost gone. Had to get a new one welded on.

On another occasion, it was loose pieces within the rear diff. However, answering your question, it could be the bushings. My new LJ has had a clunk/knocking noise that has been driving me crazy!! Turns out it was the right Lower/rear control arm has a busted Johnny joint. So every time I turn or hit a bump, it’s like a musical instrument back there. Part came in today and getting them replaced tomorrow. Finally!!!!

Some of the control arm bushings are starting to show some dry rot but are not visibly worn.
I’m not an expert level here, but “dry rot” on bushings....is the definition of being visibly worn for me. Yes, worn CA bushings can cause clunking and movement.

Hey , did you ever get to the bottom of this , I have same thing...thanks