AX-15 Slow Drip / Leak

LarryTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Need recommendations to resolve this slow persistent drip/leak from my AX-15. As you can see from the photo’s the leak is not from the RMS (just changed/replaced DIY RMS and Oil pan gasket in the past 200 miles). What are the your recommendations? Take it to a reputable tranny shop and have the gasket replaced and while there in there do an inspection? Or is dropping the skid plate and tranny and gasket replacement DIY project? This is not a DD, but the gear oil is driving my significant other bonkers.

I'm in the SoCal area if anyone has transmission repair/shop referrals that would be appreciated.

IMG_5110.jpg

IMG_5118.jpg

IMG_5119.jpg

IMG_5120.jpg

Reactions: Blondie70
Put a pee pad under it while parked and make sure to top it off as needed.
Ha ha, I had one of those blue puppy looking pads prior to changing the RMS (that was a pretty good leak/drip amount), i guess I'll have to lay down another one.

When I bought my 99 TJ, it had an issue with the AX-15 where it wouldn't shift after it was warmed up. This can be caused by many reasons but the problem was that the transmission input shaft wasn't slowing down, preventing me from changing gears.

In my specific case, it was a very small leak coming from the transmission input shaft seal. It was travelling up the inside of the sleeve on the transmission bearing cover and was being slung out over the clutch disk and pressure plate. Over time, it completely covered the clutch and when warm, the disk wouldn't release from the pressure plate.

If the leak is from the front of the tranny inside the bellhosung, there are 2 spots it can come from, either the input shaft seal in the bearing cover or the gasket that seals the bearing cover to the tranny. If the latter, the fluid drips down to the bellhousing and may not contaminate the clutch. If it is the seal, it will eventually ruin the clutch.

Either fix does involve pulling the tranny so you may want to verify that it is, in fact, coming from the tranny. Add some dye to the tranny and keep an eye on the leak by checking what leaks out with an IR light.

By chance, could it be coming from your valve cover gasket. that usually drips in the same area as well. It can enter the bellhousig from the CPS area.

Last edited:
While seepage may be insignificant, I am generally not fond of leaks of any kind. My advice would always be to fix every leak anywhere. Leaks have to be watched and managed, good seals do not.

Reactions: TrueTexas
When I bought my 99 TJ, it had an issue with the AX-15 where it wouldn't shift after it was warmed up. This can be caused by many reasons but the problem was that the transmission input shaft wasn't slowing down, preventing me from changing gears.

In my specific case, it was a very small leak coming from the transmission input shaft seal. It was travelling up the inside of the sleeve on the transmission bearing cover and was being slung out over the clutch disk and pressure plate. Over time, it completely covered the clutch and when warm, the disk wouldn't release from the pressure plate.

If the leak is from the front of the tranny inside the bellhosung, there are 2 spots it can come from, either the input shaft seal in the bearing cover or the gasket that seals the bearing cover to the tranny. If the latter, the fluid drips down to the bellhousing and may not contaminate the clutch. If it is the seal, it will eventually ruin the clutch.

Either fix does involve pulling the tranny so you may want to verify that it is, in fact, coming from the tranny. Add some dye to the tranny and keep an eye on the leak by checking what leaks out with an IR light.

By chance, could it be coming from your valve cover gasket. that usually drips in the same area as well. It can enter the bellhousig from the CPS area.
I don't believe it's coming from the valve cover gasket, the fluid has that distinct gear oil smell. Fortunately there are no clutch issues and I'v driven it approximately 5K miles since I owned it but its not my DD.

I'll have to look online for some dye to add to the tranny and locate the exact area of the leak.

I think you are probably best to drop the skid and get a better look to ID the leak. If you can't figure it out, clean it up and check back in a few hundred miles.

While seepage may be insignificant, I am generally not fond of leaks of any kind. My advice would always be to fix every leak anywhere. Leaks have to be watched and managed, good seals do not.
Completely agree! I changed the RMS this past couple months since it needed it and now my goal is to fix this leak.

I don't believe it's coming from the valve cover gasket, the fluid has that distinct gear oil smell. Fortunately there are no clutch issues and I'v driven it approximately 5K miles since I owned it but its not my DD.

I'll have to look online for some dye to add to the tranny and locate the exact area of the leak.

The inspection cover won't come off without pulling the tranny but if you think it's coming from inside the bellhousing you can remove the starter to see inside (may take some creative phone camera angles). If it is coming from there and not causing driveability issues, then chances are I'd is the bearing retainer seal as a leak from there will just run down the inside of the bellhousing. Unfortunately, fixing that still means pulling the tranny.

It is possible it is dripping forward from the top or middle of the tranny and just dripping off the edge of the bellhousing. Couple areas come to mind.... Fill plug, drain plug, tranny case halves, shifter seal, or output shaft seal to transfer case. The advice from @Lou is good to pull the skid and have a look. Just make sure you support the tranny before removing the skid

The inspection cover won't come off without pulling the tranny but if you think it's coming from inside the bellhousing you can remove the starter to see inside (may take some creative phone camera angles). If it is coming from there and not causing driveability issues, then chances are I'd is the bearing retainer seal as a leak from there will just run down the inside of the bellhousing. Unfortunately, fixing that still means pulling the tranny.

It is possible it is dripping forward from the top or middle of the tranny and just dripping off the edge of the bellhousing. Couple areas come to mind.... Fill plug, drain plug, tranny case halves, shifter seal, or output shaft seal to transfer case. The advice from @Lou is good to pull the skid and have a look. Just make sure you support the tranny before removing the skid

When i changed the RMS i dropped the skid plate (supporting the tranny) and cleaned the skid plate (determined to resolve this leak). During that time there was zero drip/leak. However, after changing the RMS, re-installing the skid plate and driving it approximately 80-90 miles those little drips started (see photo's). What I'm finding is i had multiple leaks, one was the RMS and this second tranny leak. The RMS leak is taken care of.

Last edited: