AX-15 transmission making noise

Theonlysteve

I have 1997 Jeep Wrangler with a ax15. There was no 3rd and 4th gear so I rebuilt my transmission with a rebuild kit, and checks, double checked and triple checked everything and all measurements. Jeep shifts 10x better than before, even In the lower gears, but when I let off the gas there’s a loud clicking sound coming from the transmission, once I give it gas, it goes away, if I press the clutch in it goes away, if it’s in Neutral you hear is but it’s very quit. Any ideas?

I have 1997 Jeep Wrangler with a ax15. There was no 3rd and 4th gear so I rebuilt my transmission with a rebuild kit, and checks, double checked and triple checked everything and all measurements. Jeep shifts 10x better than before, even In the lower gears, but when I let off the gas there’s a loud clicking sound coming from the transmission, once I give it gas, it goes away, if I press the clutch in it goes away, if it’s in Neutral you hear is but it’s very quit. Any ideas?
I rebuilt a 98 ax-15, afterwards everything worked great but coming on or off throttle in 3rd gear the shifter would rock back and forth about a 1/4 inch. Never caused and issues so I just let it ride. Might not have been perfect but for my first transmission rebuild I considered it a win.

Is it one click or repetitive? Increase or decrease with road speed or engine speed?

Does it happen when you turn corners or go straight or does it matter?
Could it be coming from something else like a ujoint since you touched those at the same time?
Could it be a rock in your tire tread?
It sounds like you did a good job, take your time to really try and pin point a pattern. Chances are it isn't the trans at all but since that is the last thing you touched you are second guessing yourself.

Another weird thing is an exhaust leak can make a ticking sound, and you moved that around to get the transmission out so check for exhaust leaks.

Keep us posted this is really interesting. Also post an update if you do figure it out. It could help others googling in.

Did you replace anything else, throwout bearing, pressure plate, etc?

Does it happen when you turn corners or go straight or does it matter?
Could it be coming from something else like a ujoint since you touched those at the same time?
Could it be a rock in your tire tread?
It sounds like you did a good job, take your time to really try and pin point a pattern. Chances are it isn't the trans at all but since that is the last thing you touched you are second guessing yourself.

Another weird thing is an exhaust leak can make a ticking sound, and you moved that around to get the transmission out so check for exhaust leaks.

Keep us posted this is really interesting. Also post an update if you do figure it out. It could help others googling in.

The happens weather going straight or in the corners, and it’s 100% the transmission, like I said when it’s parking and running you can hear it a little. But once you get to speed and release the gas it’s loud and continuous. I’ll post a video soon

In neutral, only thing turning in trans is main/input shaft, all others are idle. clutch in, everything is idle and sound goes away. problem has to be in main/input shaft/bearings, pilot bushing and or throwout bearing.

In neutral, only thing turning in trans is main/input shaft, all others are idle. clutch in, everything is idle and sound goes away. problem has to be in main/input shaft/bearings, pilot bushing and or throwout bearing.
Throw out bearing is new.

Throw out bearing is new.
Right. Usually TB's, that are bad, make noise when clutch is pushed as they are idle otherwise. So that cuts the possibilities down. Unfortunately, I think you are going to have to pull your trans again, I can't really think of any way around it.

Yea I’m
Right. Usually TB's, that are bad, make noise when clutch is pushed as they are idle otherwise. So that cuts the possibilities down. Unfortunately, I think you are going to have to pull your trans again, I can't really think of any way around it.

Going to pull it back out tomorrow and see

Pulled the transmission back out, should the main or input shaft have any play, as it back and forth, side to side or should it tight with no play?

Pulled the transmission back out, should the main or input shaft have any play, as it back and forth, side to side or should it tight with no play?
I'm sure there has to be some play on the input shaft. I don't know and can't find any specifications on it though. Here is the AX15 manual,,, maybe I just missed it. How does your pilot bushing look?

Attachments

• Jeep_AX15_service_manual_Transmission.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 255