AX-5 rough in first gear

Jackman

TJ Enthusiast
98 4cyl 5 speed
When it’s cold ou the Jeep takes off out of first, acts like I’m trying to take off in second or third. Once I’ve gone down the road a bit it’s fine. Just when I first take off.
Would the redline Mt-90 possibly help with this?

Changing the fluid would be a good start. Cheap and super easy to do.

MT-90 is high dollar. Keep in mind that Jeep has approved 10w-30 motor oil as a replacement tranny fluid.

That being said, both of my TJs have AX-15 tranny's, you have a 4 cyl so I'm assuming you have an AX-5. I have a gallon of MT-90 but used Pennzoil Syncromesh as a cheaper gl3 alternative until I got my tranny issues sorted out. However, it's been so smooth, I haven't changed it for the MT-90 yet. You may want to try motor oil or Pennzoil Syncromesh first to see if it improves your cold shift issue.

Maybe I am wrong, but taking off in first gear and shifting into first gear are two different actions. Cold or warm, once you are in gear, it should behave exactly the same. Shifting when warmed up becomes easier. If you are gutless when cold, that is a different scenario. Check your tune and codes. Red Line is a superior lubricant. Worth using.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Maybe I am wrong, but taking off in first gear and shifting into first gear are two different actions. Cold or warm, once you are in gear, it should behave exactly the same. Shifting when warmed up becomes easier. If you are gutless when cold, that is a different scenario. Check your tune and codes. Red Line is a superior lubricant. Worth using.
X2. This doesn't sound like a transmission issue. Most likely related to the engine, or possibly the clutch, but likely not the transmission.

Has it not done this before? It could just be normal to a cold engine. Depending on how cold it is, it may be worth giving it 60 seconds to warm up before starting to drive. Use of a block heater would significantly reduce the time to heat up.

What RPM do you normally hold when letting out the clutch?

X2. This doesn't sound like a transmission issue. Most likely related to the engine, or possibly the clutch, but likely not the transmission.

Has it not done this before? It could just be normal to a cold engine. Depending on how cold it is, it may be worth giving it 60 seconds to warm up before starting to drive. Use of a block heater would significantly reduce the time to heat up.

What RPM do you normally hold when letting out the clutch?
looks like I may have figured it out... the Jeep likes more throttle when letting off the clutch when cold.

Reactions: Steel City 06
It is best for moving parts and the fuel system to be used at the proper operating temperature. Warm that pig up! Fuel, combustion chamber, metals and lubricants behave differently when cold. Give it some foreplay. My Vermont rule of thumb was to drive after the front windshield defroster was blowing warm. My record cold seen on the mercury there was -59 at Wallace pond in Canaan. Ice fishing for brownies. My rusted out 74 Hilux parked outside did get some some TLC before I even turned the key.