Ax15 transmission woes

Drakonious07

Driving down the highway cruising in 5th at about 75mph and hear a loud bang under the jeep and lose all drive in 5th, I shift to 4th and still able to move so I drive to the next exit and that's when I realize that 4th gear is all I have. I did manage to limp it home in 4th as I got lucky on some traffic lights. I had to be somewhere that weekend soni parked the jeep and took my other car. Next weekend I get time to pull the transmission and get it open. And this is what I find

PXL_20230225_213242106.jpg

PXL_20230225_213126432.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Zorba and JKP
I forget the transmission model but I had that exact failure in a Ford bronco II I owned. Or rather, the previous owner did before they sold it to me for $800 rather than dealing with it. I swapped in a later trans with better ratios from an Explorer.

Lack of lubrication could be a cause, and I suppose maybe a severely worn input bearing but I would think it would have been noisy as hell for a while before that happened.

I suspect it was low lubricant, I did not check the levels and I should have. I am replacing the input shaft and the cluster gears and am actually in the process of reassembling it. As of now, the only gear I am having issues with is 5th, when you shift into 5th it locks up the input and the output shaft. I am suspecting it's got to do with the synchro gear is not engaging properly

Wow, stripped the input gear clean. Never seen that before. You by chance have large tires with tall stock gears? Still, even in that setup, a very rare failure.

Wow, stripped the input gear clean. Never seen that before. You by chance have large tires with tall stock gears? Still, even in that setup, a very rare failure.

It's a 98 Sahara 33x10.5x15 and as far as I know the stock 3.73 gears. It was definitely low on oil in the transmission.