Axle Advice

Andy Maurer

TJ Enthusiast
I have a 98 TJ, 4.0, 5 speed with dana 30 front, 35 rear, 3.07 gears and found someone selling a dana 30 front with spartin locker and dana 44 rear that have 3.73 gears from a 99 TJ. I would prefer 4.56 gears to allow for larger tires in the future, but the budget is pinned at this point. Going from 3.07 to 3.73 with 32 inch tires will give me some benefit, and for $600 I am happy with it.

My question...is there anything I should do to the axles before the swap in terms of cleaning, diff oil change etc.... Once I have that done will there be any special tools needs for the swap, or it is just undo bolts, drop axle, put new axle in, tighten bolts?

Once complete I doubt there will be any demand for the old axles, is there scrap value in them?

No special tools needed, just basic tools. It's actually a pretty easy swap.

Just be sure to change the axle oil if needed, throw in some new unit bearings in the front (I would at least), and if the brakes are bad, be sure to put some new brakes on.

As far as your old axles go, no one will want them unless it's for a very, very cheap price. If you post them for something like $100 each, someone will likely take at least the Dana 30.

Reactions: greenliftedtj97
I have a 98 TJ, 4.0, 5 speed with dana 30 front, 35 rear, 3.07 gears and found someone selling a dana 30 front with spartin locker and dana 44 rear that have 3.73 gears from a 99 TJ. I would prefer 4.56 gears to allow for larger tires in the future, but the budget is pinned at this point. Going from 3.07 to 3.73 with 32 inch tires will give me some benefit, and for $600 I am happy with it.

My question...is there anything I should do to the axles before the swap in terms of cleaning, diff oil change etc.... Once I have that done will there be any special tools needs for the swap, or it is just undo bolts, drop axle, put new axle in, tighten bolts?

Once complete I doubt there will be any demand for the old axles, is there scrap value in them?
It depends on how proud you are or detailed oriented you are. Me, I would disassemble the Dana 30 and the Dana 44, get them dry blasted and then powder coated black. Put it all back together and drive it out to show it up....

Reactions: Serbonze and ac_
It depends on how proud you are or detailed oriented you are. Me, I would disassemble the Dana 30 and the Dana 44, get them dry blasted and then powder coated black. Put it all back together and drive it out to show it up....

Then you will feel bad when you take it out and get it dirty. I just keep it dirt colored because that is the end result anyway. I did put a 8.8 in the rear of my Jeep and slapped a quick krylon coat on it, but in about a month it is going to look like it has been under there the whole time.

If it is a mall crawler or a show car, I would do as @Fouledplugs suggested.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
It is so far from a mall crawler or show car, I bought this thing to get dirty and have fun! Thanks for the advise, I will be changing the axle oil & working on the swap

Reactions: ac_
Then you will feel bad when you take it out and get it dirty. I just keep it dirt colored because that is the end result anyway. I did put a 8.8 in the rear of my Jeep and slapped a quick krylon coat on it, but in about a month it is going to look like it has been under there the whole time.

If it is a mall crawler or a show car, I would do as @Fouledplugs suggested.
It definitely makes cleaning way easier as the mud, dirt, and grime washes right off. Coating is will also prevent rust and make it look like it did when it came from the factory.

A lot of Davis Autosport Jeeps recieve this treatment and they arnt show pieces. Its just a great solution to rust prevention which our Wranglers are prone to battling.

Reactions: ac_
It definitely makes cleaning way easier as the mud, dirt, and grime washes right off. Coating is will also prevent rust and make it look like it did when it came from the factory.

A lot of Davis Autosport Jeeps recieve this treatment and they arnt show pieces. Its just a great solution to rust prevention which our Wranglers are prone to battling.

You guys may have some good priced powder coat, but it is extremely expensive here. There is no way it would even make the job affordable for me, plus once you drag it over logs rocks or whatever it just scratches off. For the money it costs here it is not worth it. I assumed it was the same priceish everywhere, but last time I priced out a bumper to get a powder coat, they wanted 400 bucks. and it was a warn stubby. I paid 300 for for the bumper. I can't even imagine what they would want for a dirty axle housing.

Like I said on mine I just did a krylon coat if it rubs off, I will just jump under during an oil change and touch it back up. It is pretty tough to touch up a powder coat in my opinion. Also no offense intended if you powder coat yours. I just prefer not to myself.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
You will likely need to shorten the rear driveshaft due to the longer pinion housing on the dana 44. Other then that its plug and play.