Axle bearings in Dana 44 rear axle

davelittlewood

Hi there,

got a 2000 4.0L TJ (right hand drive cos we live in the UK) with a Dana 44 rear axle.

Just done the rear brakes (cylinders, shoes, springs drums) and noticed that one of the rear seals is weeping ever so slightly.

Each axle has a really small amount of axial play (like 0.020") but no radial play. My guess is that the bearings are OK but the seals are starting to go.

From looking for new bearings and seals I think that there are two types of bearings in the end of the axles, cylindrical roller and tapered roller??
If this is correct, is it possible to work out what type of replacement bearings we need without taking the axles out?

On the Dana 44 rear, is the axle tube flooded with diff oil or is the diff oil supposed to be contained just within the diff casing? The diff has oil seals so are they supposed to stop all oil from entering the axle tube? If so, what's leaking out the end seal??

Cheers,

Dave

The gear lube travels down the tubes to lubricate the outer axle shaft bearings. The only seal in the Dana 44 pumpkin is around the pinion shaft.

Sounds like you need a new outer axle shaft seal. Replacing that seal requires a new SET-10 bearing and bearing retainer too since they are pressed onto the axle shaft above the seal.

The seal is that black object between the bearing and axle shaft retainer bracket. The bearing retainer on top has to be drilled off and then the bearing has to be removed to replace the seal.

IMAG2340.jpg

Jerry,

Thanks for the confirmation and clarification. I'd watched quite a few Youtube videos and there had been some with taper roller bearings (but still with the | retainer ring | bearing | seal | plate ) set up.

I can get a Crown kit in the UK for like 80 bucks per side but I'll import some stuff from the USA as I'm not convinced of the quality of the Crown kits.

Stripping the old bearing off won't be a problem and luckily I've got a friend with a 20 ton press to refit the bearings and retainer ring - just wanted to make sure I order the right bits!

Dave