Axle might be offset?

4bangerwrangler

Hey everyone,

So, recently all 4 lug nuts on my back left tire became lose, shearing off the 5th stud along with the lug nut. As the mechanic was replacing the stud and lug nuts today, he noticed that the cup around the top of my spring hits my wheel (when lifted off the groud) while on the right side I have about an inch of clearance. At first we thought something was bent or worn, then realized that since being up on a lift, the track bar was pushing everything to the left. But once we set it down on the ground, it's still a lot closer to my left tire than it is on the right side..any ideas why everything might be shifted? I'd upload a picture, but can't seem to figure out how

A suspension lift will pull both axles off to the side by how they are held by the track bar. The rear track bar will pull the rear axle off towards the passenger side and the front track bar will pull the front axle off towards the driver's side. The track bar is what centers the axle, left to right. One end of the track bar bolts to the frame, the other end bolts to the axle.

The fix for the front is an adjustable length track bar. The fix for the rear can be either a track bar relocation bracket or an adjustable length track bar.

Look at the letter Z. The bottom line represents the axle, the diagonal line represents the track bar, and the top line represents the frame. By pushing the top (frame) up via a suspension lift, the diagonal track bar will pull the axle to the side.

X2 to the above.

We need to know if it's lifted, and if so, how much is it lifted.

We also need to know if there's an adjustable track bar or not.

Uploading a photo is easy. Just click "Upload a File" which is right next to the "Post Reply" button.

My Jeep is not lifted, but I did put larger tires on it. The tires are 32 x 10.50. Here's the picture. This is when it was up on a lift so I realize that the track bar is causing this offset. But even with it on the ground, the left tire is much closer to the spring than on the right side.

20170103_124846.jpg

I'd definitely get some different wheels with more appropriate backspacing.

Your issue is a track bar issue (unless the vehicle has been in a previous accident and has frame damage we don't know about). The track bar is what centers the axle laterally under the vehicle.

Any chance you could snap a photo of the entire from axle from the front (including the track bar)?

Are you sure your tires are 32x10.50 and not 32x11.50? 11.50 wide is more common for a 32" Jeep-appropriate tire. Plus the sidewall is so close to the spring perch that it just seems more likely they are 11.5" wide.

Regardless, factory wheels have too much backspacing (5.25" to 5.5") for your tires which is why they are too close to the spring perches. Converting to aftermarket wheels will fix it since they have reduced backspacing. 15x8 wheels with 3.75" to 4.5" of backspacing will work fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I bought it used from someone and as far as I know, the previous owners were never in an accident with it, and I haven't been in an accident, but both my dad and I agree that it's something with the track bar. I'll try and snap a picture of it.
And Jerry, you're right, they are 11.50. My previous tires were 10.50 and I mixed them up. I am looking at buying new wheels with more offset.

My dad's been talking with some people and they're saying that if the track bar has been moved out of place, there's a bolt that can be loosened and if something has happened to it, once loosened, it'll shift back to the center??

My dad's been talking with some people and they're saying that if the track bar has been moved out of place, there's a bolt that can be loosened and if something has happened to it, once loosened, it'll shift back to the center??
If your tires are equal distance from the spring perches when the Jeep is sitting on the ground, your track bar length is appropriate. Remember you were asked to measure to see if the tires are protruding equal distances from the bumpers. Only if the axle is off-center does the track bar length needs to be adjusted, which is only possible with an aftermarket adjustable length track bar.

And no, there's no bolt that can be loosened so the axle will shift back to the center. The axle will self-center when the track bar is disconnected but you can't run with it disconnected... you have to either install an adjustable length track bar which is preferable, or install a track bar relocation bracket which will push the track bar towards the passenger side to help recenter the axle. That bracket will not center it as perfectly as an adjustable length track bar will.

Forget you ever heard the term 'offset', it's not a term used with Jeep or truck wheels... it is meant for car wheels which is not a useful measurement for Jeeps. Offset is not the same as backspacing, those terms measure two different things and you are only concerned with the wheel's backspacing as described in my previous last post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
With it sitting on the ground, the wheels are not the same distance from the spring perches. The left is much closer than the right. I haven't been able to measure the distance from the fenders.
Currently I'm looking at new wheels and probably an adjustable track bar, but for the time being, would a spacer work? Just to make sure the spring perch isn't rubbing against my tire.

With it sitting on the ground, the wheels are not the same distance from the spring perches. The left is much closer than the right. I haven't been able to measure the distance from the fenders.
Currently I'm looking at new wheels and probably an adjustable track bar, but for the time being, would a spacer work? Just to make sure the spring perch isn't rubbing against my tire.

I wouldn't want a spring perch rubbing against my tire (that's dangerous), so yeah, if you need spacers in the meantime, definitely get them!

A suspension lift will pull both axles off to the side by how they are held by the track bar. The rear track bar will pull the rear axle off towards the passenger side and the front track bar will pull the front axle off towards the driver's side. The track bar is what centers the axle, left to right. One end of the track bar bolts to the frame, the other end bolts to the axle.

The fix for the front is an adjustable length track bar. The fix for the rear can be either a track bar relocation bracket or an adjustable length track bar.

Look at the letter Z. The bottom line represents the axle, the diagonal line represents the track bar, and the top line represents the frame. By pushing the top (frame) up via a suspension lift, the diagonal track bar will pull the axle to the side.
Hello; i seem to have the same problem but I have a 4 1/2 lift and adjustable upper and lower control arms what will fix the problem and it would be ok if left as is?

PXL_20211005_225958698~2.jpg

PXL_20211005_225836931.jpg

PXL_20211005_225752345.jpg

PXL_20211005_225645890.jpg

Clearly the person who installed your suspension didn't know what he was doing, the control arm lengths were not set properly. They plus the track bars are responsible for properly positioning the axles.

It's not an easy first job for a new TJ, I'd look for help to get them set properly. I'd ask Jeep owners in your area for a recommendation or two for a good competent 4x4 shop. To me that would not include a 4Wheel Parts store if they're in your area. If you're thinking of doing it on your own just know it's not gonna be physically easy.

Good luck with it! 😊

Clearly the person who installed your suspension didn't know what he was doing, the control arm lengths were not set properly. They plus the track bars are responsible for properly positioning the axles.

It's not an easy first job for a new TJ, I'd look for help to get them set properly. I'd ask Jeep owners in your area for a recommendation or two for a good competent 4x4 shop. To me that would not include a 4Wheel Parts store if they're in your area. If you're thinking of doing it on your own just know it's not gonna be physically easy.

Good luck with it! 😊
Great, thank you for your input, that's what I thought it can't be right, it was "professionally" done at a 4x4 place by the previous owner, I am not taking it to another shop, so basically I gotta undo the control arms, adjust the track bar, set the control arms to the right length, it shouldn't be too hard considering Ive done a lift myself on a 92 f150 with no issues.
Also now that I am thinking, shifting the axle about an inch 1/2 it is gonna steal some of the length of the driveshaft uh? I have a buddy with a tj and he has the same issue, he tells me it's a normal thing with jeeps.. but can't be

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Can't be! The guy that sold me the truck had it freshly aligned, i am assuming if I fix this little issue the alignment should be off uh? And also both sides of the lower control should about match in measurement from eye to eye? And before I align the axle the upper control arm should also be disconnected?