Axle seal; differential vent, leak question

01browce

Supporting Member
When I bought my TJ I checked the fluids and topped a few off that were needed. I then developed a leak on pass side axle seal. So recently I changed bearings and seals. Filled fluid. Leak came back. Today I was going replace seal again but I read a post on here about the diff vent being clogged. So I checked and mine was. So I cleared the plastic tip on the hose and was able to blow through it. However I could not blow through the hose. I removed hose from axle and the nipple was clear. Should I be able to blow through it? Also the post I was reading suggested fill by volume and not the fill hole. So my next question is with the diff now pointing up higher than stock, would it still take the correct volume of gear oil? Seems it would hold less.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. 2005 Rubicon.

It will require slightly less gear lube with the pinion angled upward but when filled to the bottom of the lube hole the differential will still have way more lube inside than it requires. The ring gear is what picks up the gear lube and it slings it forward toward the pinion bearing in such volume with so much force it's amazing to see.

You won't be able to blow through the vent hose while it is still attached to the nipple on top of the axle.

Reactions: pc1p
Thanks Jerry. Hopefully the clogged tip was my problem. I cleaned the wheel and tire and should know soon.
I agree about the movement of the gear oil being impressive. I watched some of the videos Banks put out out the deeper diff covers. The clear ones they showed in use were neat to see.

I have the same problem and was going to replace the seals. I really didn't think they were bad but had no idea about the vent. I'll be checking that out asap. Thanks!