Axle seals question

LFF2020

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and the jeep world. I just picked up an 05 that's in good shape but has just over 200k on it. I noticed yesterday that the rear passenger side axle is leaking. It's the Dana 35 and from what I have found from watching some videos it doesn't look that hard to replace the seal and bearing. So my questions are. Is it as straight forward as it looks and should I replace just the side that is leaking or do both sides? Thanks and I love this site.

My experience, if you're doing it do both. Circumstances may direct you differently, but if you're pulling one, and getting out the gears, draining differential, might as well. It's not complex, doesn't mean it's easy per se, but it's a straight forward process. Long bar to get the inner seals in and out, lots of little tricks etc if you watch experienced folks on this forum. Doing one bearing may be different, I've seen folks do just one side, but if you're pulling the diff, I'd do both inner seals.

Dana 35's don't have inner seals. They have a bearing and seal that is pressed in to the end of the axle tube.

I would still do both sides, and when you get your axles out make sure they aren't deeply grooved from the bearings.

Dana 35's don't have inner seals. They have a bearing and seal that is pressed in to the end of the axle tube.

I would still do both sides, and when you get your axles out make sure they aren't deeply grooved from the bearings.
Well I'm an idiot, sorry, I've been working on my front end for 2 weeks when I have time, and had that in my head. Thought he was talking front. Admitted idiot here in Texas, maybe slow down and read a little better.

Reactions: Lou