Axle shaft and spline nightmare

Brad W

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So yesterday I got the whole driver side done and got to work on the passenger side. I got everything apart, ready to go and got to this point.

I took one side off the u joint and was not paying attention when taking off the other. Instead of doing the opposite side I did one cap next to the removed one.

Now this results in a hell of 4 hrs trying to get these things out.

I'm still not don't but can someone give some advice before I just buy a new shaft and spline.

The inner ears look like they are damaged as well.

20190203_215312.jpg

20190203_215307.jpg

20190203_215302.jpg

20190203_215259.jpg

Ouch. Your best bet is to find something with an opening large enough to receive a cap and then try to drift the cap out by using a punch on the end of the trunion. If you have a driveshaft shop near by they may be able to help. From some of the markings in those cap bores though you may not have good luck with putting a new joint in.

Reactions: Brad W
If you have a ball joint press you can probably push one of the caps back through but it's going to be iffy. If you have a torch you could cut the ujoint in half and start again. If the ears are damaged it's not fun to get them back where they need to be without messing them up, best way I've seen is a bolt with some big washers so you can pull the 2 sides evenly. (I tried with a vice, it wasn't good.)

Ouch. Your best bet is to find something with an opening large enough to receive a cap and then try to drift the cap out by using a punch on the end of the trunion. If you have a driveshaft shop near by they may be able to help. From some of the markings in those cap bores though you may not have good luck with putting a new joint in.
I've used a large socket if you don't have scrap tubing around for things like that.

I'm dealing with something similar. I had to cut the cross out with a grinder. I carefully took a Dremel to the ears and cleaned them up too. Pressing them in I only need about 1/8" (if even) to get the new cap on. But it's binding up again

I have the original cap with all the bearings still in it. I'll give that a try.

Reactions: The Real Lxxtsy
If you have a ball joint press you can probably push one of the caps back through but it's going to be iffy. If you have a torch you could cut the ujoint in half and start again. If the ears are damaged it's not fun to get them back where they need to be without messing them up, best way I've seen is a bolt with some big washers so you can pull the 2 sides evenly. (I tried with a vice, it wasn't good.)

I do have a press. The insides are shearing and peeling the smooth surfaces. I wonder how much a replacement for all of it is. I'm betting it's not cheap.

I do have a press. The insides are shearing and peeling the smooth surfaces. I wonder how much a replacement for all of it is. I'm betting it's not cheap.
That's problematic it probably didn't start perfectly straight and now that it's on an angle you are hooped. I tried a 4.5" angle grinder to get one out but it's not quite large enough to reach all the way across the trunion. If you have a larger grinder or a torch you may be able to cut up the joint. Other than that it's new shaft time, and you may already be there.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

That's problematic it probably didn't start perfectly straight and now that it's on an angle you are hooped. I tried a 4.5" angle grinder to get one out but it's not quite large enough to reach all the way across the trunion. If you have a larger grinder or a torch you may be able to cut up the joint. Other than that it's new shaft time, and you may already be there.

Im going to give it one more try to see if I can get it tonight. If not then I can say I tried.

With cleaning the ears, when you put the new joints in. Did they slide out? im worried that I sheared the metal to bad on the inside of the ears and the new joints will slip out to bad.

Holy cow I did this and it worked! They came right out! I used the socket to keep them straight when using the press. Thank you so much. I just needed another set of eyes/ideas.
Great to hear, a joint that's been replaced a couple time, you can usually push the cap in about half way but will need to finish it off with a hammer or press. (I usually use a vice to get them in most of the way and then tap them home with a hammer.

Holy cow I did this and it worked! They came right out! I used the socket to keep them straight when using the press. Thank you so much. I just needed another set of eyes/ideas.
It feels good doesn’t it!