Axle swap help: Selling stock Rubicon axles and swapping in D60s

Blubicon.LJ

Planning on selling my rubicons axles and lockers, what can i get from them and what does it normally cost to junkyard swap 60’s in with lockers? i’m gonna try to find them in 4.10 so i don’t have to re-gear them but i’m thinking it will look like 5-6k? also can i get that out of selling my axles with the lockers and pumps? Anything helps, thanks!

Your stock Rubicon axles will be worth around 2-3k.

Junkyard swap 60s? I can't help you on that, but you're going to need coilovers, a new steering setup, and a shit ton of welding, fabrication, and other parts. It won't be cheap, that's for sure.

Your stock Rubicon axles will be worth around 2-3k.

Junkyard swap 60s? I can't help you on that, but you're going to need coilovers, a new steering setup, and a shit ton of welding, fabrication, and other parts. It won't be cheap, that's for sure.

I don't know that you'd need coilovers...but yes to everything else. Gotta weld on all new control arm mounts, spring perches, shock mounts, etc. New Steering set-up. New Wheels. You won't find any one ton axles out there with lockers (at least, not fronts), so you'll need to factor in gears whether you stay with 4.10's or not.

Going thru the effort of tons you might as well gear properly.

X2 on 2-3k for your axles. Nowhere near 5 or 6k

I don't know that you'd need coilovers...but yes to everything else. Gotta weld on all new control arm mounts, spring perches, shock mounts, etc. New Steering set-up. New Wheels. You won't find any one ton axles out there with lockers (at least, not fronts), so you'll need to factor in gears whether you stay with 4.10's or not.

Assuming the Dana 60 axles are wider (which I don't think there's any way they aren't?) the only other option would be to weld on spring perches and shock mounts. But at that point, I think you'd probably be silly to do that, as fitting a coilover at that point seems like it would be a lot easier.

How many guys running wider axles do you see with spring and shock setups?

I don't build these things for a living though, so I'd defer to someone like Blaine or @pcoplin on this one. They would know better than I would.

Larger axles could cost anywhere between 3k and 12k, depending on what you build.

Where are you located? Been thinking of selling my axle set, they are narrowed to 65 inch.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Larger axles could cost anywhere between 3k and 12k, depending on what you build.

Where are you located? Been thinking of selling my axle set, they are narrowed to 65 inch.

His profile says he's in Kentucky.

Assuming the Dana 60 axles are wider (which I don't think there's any way they aren't?) the only other option would be to weld on spring perches and shock mounts. But at that point, I think you'd probably be silly to do that, as fitting a coilover at that point seems like it would be a lot easier.

How many guys running wider axles do you see with spring and shock setups?

I don't build these things for a living though, so I'd defer to someone like Blaine or @pcoplin on this one. They would know better than I would.
Doing a quick image search for TJ on Tons showed about 50/50 of coilover vs spring/shock. I think coilovers would be a LOT more work than you think. Not only do you have to figure out whats going on at the axle, you have to change your upper mounting points as well...and not just modifying the shock mounting, but cutting out sections of frame and welding tubes in to hold the coilover.

Planning on selling my rubicons axles and lockers, what can i get from them and what does it normally cost to junkyard swap 60’s in with lockers? i’m gonna try to find them in 4.10 so i don’t have to re-gear them but i’m thinking it will look like 5-6k? also can i get that out of selling my axles with the lockers and pumps? Anything helps, thanks!
What size tire/arrangement are you looking for by going to 60s? Just wondering if there's anyway to just modify your Rubi Axles.

Maybe you have already mentioned it..but why are you needing Dana 60 and 14B? I am guessing you are stretching your wheel base and running a tire size larger than 38’s?

Maybe you have already mentioned it..but why are you needing Dana 60 and 14B? I am guessing you are stretching your wheel base and running a tire size larger than 38’s?
I want to run 40’s, and no i’m not stretching yet and i’m keeping the same suspension setup so no coil overs or anything

Louisville Kentucky, and i’m putting my own lockers and stuff in so it’s not like i’m looking for something built already so what would the price look like if i already have someone to weld and everything i just need the parts basically

You got any pics of a TJ on 40s with the 94inch wheelbase?

I know you mentioned using the factory coil setup. But with what size coil?

I just believe IMO, you are jumping the gun without proper experience and research.

Reactions: tworley
If you're looking to do your swap in the near future (within the next month or so) I might be interested in your axels? I've also been looking at doing a Dana 60 in the rear because I found a brand new one on my local CL for cheap and since I can't find any Dana 44's without having to give an arm and a leg for one (or both).

I thought with the 4.0 and 40s you'd want 5.xx gear ratio, I guess I'm not sure of your transmission, but I would think you'd want more gear ratio.

If you're installing lockers in axles that are on a bench, I wouldn't think the pricing would be too bad for someone to do a gear change for you if you don't want to do it yourself. If this is something you want to do in the more distant future I live near by and wouldn't mind setting up some gears on a bench after I get some practice doing my own.

Do you know what donor axles you should be looking at? I see someone nearby bringing in flat beds full of axles fairly regularly. Are you going to have to cut the tubes width down or what to make them fit or is it just the brackets?