Axle swap: Is this a fair trade?

Ed 05 TJ

First post and new to the forum. Thank you.

I purchased a 2005 jeep tj, 6 speed manual with a (I believe 4 inch) currie lift. It came with 35 inch tires. Owner never regeared the tj so it's running on original dana 35 and 30 with 3.07's.

I decided to buy dana 44's , with 4.88 gears with elockers. I talked to a jeep shop and mechanic said he would do the swap and we agreed he would keep my old axles as a form of payment. That a fair deal?

Depends how much he knocks off. also are you planning on going on the highway? 4.88 will good in town and on the trails, not so much on the highway

I just regeared my 03 rubi 5 speed to 4.88 for my 35s and its great on the highway.

Depends how much he knocks off. also are you planning on going on the highway? 4.88 will good in town and on the trails, not so much on the highway

He'll be fine on the highway.
NSG370/34"/4.88=3038rpm @ 75rpm

Reactions: strumble8
That’s a pretty easy swap so if you’ve got some tools, I’d save yourself some $ and do it yourself. Hell, the money you save will pay for the tools. It will also familiarize yourself with your jeep if/when future issues arise. Aren’t any mechanics around out on the trails.

Reactions: Midwest

I purchased a 2005 jeep tj, 6 speed manual with a (I believe 4 inch) currie lift. It came with 35 inch tires. Owner never regeared the tj so it's running on original dana 35 and 30 with 3.07's.

I decided to buy dana 44's , with 4.88 gears with elockers. I talked to a jeep shop and mechanic said he would do the swap and we agreed he would keep my old axles as a form of payment. That a fair deal?
Yeah, the old axles aren’t worth more than $200/axle in my estimation, and with 307 gears they are less desirable.

EDIT: Nice find with the Dana 44’s regeared and locked.This is going to do wonders for your Jeep

If this is your first Jeep then I would take that deal. There is a lot more than just pulling a few bolts to setting everything up right. Be sure you have all new upper and lower adjustable control arms if they aren't on already.

Reactions: Sea Cot
If this is your first Jeep then I would take that deal. There is a lot more than just pulling a few bolts to setting everything up right. Be sure you have all new upper and lower adjustable control arms if they aren't on already.

Agreed. Assuming the swap service means aligned, brakes bled- turn-key road & trail ready TJ, I'd gladly trade the labor for the axles. On the back end, you're not dealing with the logistics of selling the axles.

Reactions: 06TJ35's and JMT
I won't pay anything. Hes just keeping the axles
That is a great deal assuming you don't want to do it yourself. I sold my dana 30/35 combo in 3.07 for around $200.

So basically you're paying him $200 for 3-4 hrs worth of work and getting rid of the hassle of selling the axles.

On another note have you addressed the fact that the pinions are a few inches larger on the 44s? During my swap, I had to shorten the front and rear shaft. (not sure about rockjock 44s since mine where rubicon take offs)

Who is buying and installing the new driveshafts?
Who is doing the test drive and making sure there are no vibes and the pinion angles are correct?
Who is wiring up the lockers and installing the switches?
Who has the axles you are buying? Shop or private party, or someone like Currie?
If other than swap shop, who is transporting the axles to the swap shop?

Mechanic mentioned about shortening
Who is buying and installing the new driveshafts?
Who is doing the test drive and making sure there are no vibes and the pinion angles are correct?
Who is wiring up the lockers and installing the switches?
Who has the axles you are buying? Shop or private party, or someone like Currie?
If other than swap shop, who is transporting the axles to the swap shop?
Mechanic will test drive make sure is running good... he will connect lockers to switches.