Axle ujoint modification

On the front axle shafts i have 2 sets of axles. One set is just run of the mill tj stuff. The other is also tj axles but have had plates installed to keep the ujoint caps from falling out. Is there any benifit to this or does it cause issues? Im in the process of combining 3 different dana 30 axles into 1 axle for my jeep that already is setup with 4.56 gears and a spartan locker

20221217_164243.jpg

I hope you have "lifetime" u-joints installed in that axle.

But seriously I don't understand what problem this is trying to solve. If one ever breaks, how do you propose to get it out?

Reactions: Lubbockguy1979
If one breaks does it not destroy the shaft and stub? I completely understand what your saying about serviceability though. If you had a worn shaft it would complicate repairs though

I hope you have "lifetime" u-joints installed in that axle.

But seriously I don't understand what problem this is trying to solve. If one ever breaks, how do you propose to get it out?

Maybe stretched yoke ears and did that in an attempt to keep it together?

Why not install FULL circle clips to support the U joint cups instead of the retaining plates ?
The installation of the full circle clips will still allow for normal U joint replacement.
Years ago while replacing the Dana 30 axle shaft U joints in my '98 XJ; I noticed the axle ears are only set up to support the cups with 270* C clips.
I machined the remaining 90* of each seating surface with a Dremel abrasive cutting wheel to allow for the installation of full circle clips.
There is a lot of load applied to the axles ears and U joints cups; the 270* C clips allow for too much lateral movement of the cups while in 4x4.
The full circle clips provide 360* support for the cups inside the ears; the chances of spitting out the cups are far less decreasing the potential for damaging the ears when a U joint decides to fail.

On the front axle shafts i have 2 sets of axles. One set is just run of the mill tj stuff. The other is also tj axles but have had plates installed to keep the ujoint caps from falling out. Is there any benifit to this or does it cause issues? Im in the process of combining 3 different dana 30 axles into 1 axle for my jeep that already is setup with 4.56 gears and a spartan locker

View attachment 384973

Its used to retain the caps when not using full circle clips.

Insurance if you will. Some guys carry a grinder when they wheel among many other tools and wouldn't have an issue using a grinder if it meant saving ears.