Back in an LJR (build / plans)

Looking forward to watching this build, it’s always fun to see another LJ getting done well.

I have the JKS tb front and rear, no complaints other than it’s not the Currie with a little added clearance :)

If you have some time to price watch I picked up a ce-9800hl from Currie for under 2k. This includes springs, front track bar, sway links, and control arms. I was messing around with trying to piece together everything from different brands but glad I just got the kit. The quality from Currie is top notch.

If you have some time to price watch I picked up a ce-9800hl from Currie for under 2k. This includes springs, front track bar, sway links, and control arms. I was messing around with trying to piece together everything from different brands but glad I just got the kit. The quality from Currie is top notch.

Where did you end up finding it? Used or new? Im in no rush other having a stock Jeep on its way haha

Where did you end up finding it? Used or new? Im in no rush other having a stock Jeep on its way haha
It was brand new. Found it on summit racing but they wanted over $100 in shipping. If you search on google for the Currie part number they compare prices from a lot of different vendors. I asked quadratec if they could price match and they did with free shipping.

I have the MC front trackbar too. I've got about 20,000 miles with no issues I know of, so far. I should check the heim for slop, that is something I have not done. I agree it has decent clearance, it works for my setup, right now. LOL

I developed noticeable play in mine. On the positive side, they sent the complete end as a replacement.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Ill make the move to the JKS trackbars!

When I first installed my OME 2" lift on my LJR, I installed JKS trackbars front & rear. I had clearance issues up front. The frame-end joint hit the diff housing just left of the cover and broke the jam nut loose. I saw the same exact thing on another LJR with the JKS track bar. That was with stock control arms. Since then, I switched to the MC track bar but that hit the stock diff cover. The solution that's working for me now was to replace all 4 CAs (Savvy uppers, Currie lowers) and locate the axle back just slightly, like maybe 1/4". Now everything clears.

I have not heard of clearance issues on non-LJR models. So the Dana 44 up front is part of the equation but I also think the axle or bracketry on some LJRs may be slightly different thatn on non-LJR models. YMMV.

I'm not sure if something like a JKS or Currie TB would clear everything as I have it now or not.

When I first installed my OME 2" lift on my LJR, I installed JKS trackbars front & rear. I had clearance issues up front. The frame-end joint hit the diff housing just left of the cover and broke the jam nut loose. I saw the same exact thing on another LJR with the JKS track bar. That was with stock control arms. Since then, I switched to the MC track bar but that hit the stock diff cover. The solution that's working for me now was to replace all 4 CAs (Savvy uppers, Currie lowers) and locate the axle back just slightly, like maybe 1/4". Now everything clears.

I have not heard of clearance issues on non-LJR models. So the Dana 44 up front is part of the equation but I also think the axle or bracketry on some LJRs may be slightly different thatn on non-LJR models. YMMV.

I'm not sure if something like a JKS or Currie TB would clear everything as I have it now or not.
@jjvw had the MC front until recently Switching to the Currie, I wonder if he had similar issues with the Dana 44? I have RE up front and am thinking about the Currie bar to push my axle forward a little more.

Reactions: AndrewLJR
@jjvw had the MC front until recently Switching to the Currie, I wonder if he had similar issues with the Dana 44? I have RE up front and am thinking about the Currie bar to push my axle forward a little more.

Under is profile name, it says free from all MC so I assume he didn't like it much either hahaha

It was brand new. Found it on summit racing but they wanted over $100 in shipping. If you search on google for the Currie part number they compare prices from a lot of different vendors. I asked quadratec if they could price match and they did with free shipping.

Man, thank you for posting this. Did some searching, can get the full Currie 4" with disco's for $2100 or with anti-rock for $2300, just need shocks. Obviously, this is a higher cost but much better value. I just really didn't want to go 4" of suspension lift.

Reactions: gaabbee and JMT
Man, thank you for posting this. Did some searching, can get the full Currie 4" with disco's for $2100 or with anti-rock for $2300, just need shocks. Obviously, this is a higher cost but much better value. I just really didn't want to go 4" of suspension lift.
Mine is 3” front, 2.5” rear + 1.25” body lift for overall 4.25/3.75” running 33’s and I love it. But yeah, you’d have to piece it all together

I see you wanted to run a 285/75/16 which is about 32.8 inches? I run the same size on my 4 inch currie and seems to do well. I know being in FL you probably think 4 inches is over kill but most recommend a 4 inch lift with 33's.

I see you wanted to run a 285/75/16 which is about 32.8 inches? I run the same size on my 4 inch currie and seems to do well. I know being in FL you probably think 4 inches is over kill but most recommend a 4 inch lift with 33's.

Don’t think it’s overkill, I just wanted 3” suspension and 1.25” body lift. I like that look but guess I really don’t need a body lift yet so this could work

Reactions: gaabbee

If you get a moment would you post a side picture of your Jeep?

039CA036-705F-4786-974B-72DCC2DC0099.jpeg

@zebra12

Last edited:
Once it arrives, I’ll post a bunch! Transport early next week

Edit: Thought you asked me hahaha

Pictures of yours would be great too.

I'm debating on the 3 inch Savvy coils and the 4 inch Curries. I have a 1.25 bl and plan to run 255/85 16 inch tires.

Ok, so quick update as I've been going back and forth on my plans for the last week but I've settled on what I'm doing:

CE-9801HSL- Full kit with double adjustable uppers, single lowers
OME 60047L and 60049L Long travel shocks for 3.5-5" lift
285/75/16 ProComp Xtreme MT2s

I debated and debated, researched left and right. I have the itch to go to 315/75 but no desire to regear or body lift just yet. I have a 6 speed so 33s should be "OK", I feel 34's might be pushing it. I REALLY like the AEV Highline so Ill probably being doing the DIY version, but cleaner with trimming the fenders and welding them so they're not poking out. At that point, I may decide to go larger tires but that's down the road. For my needs right now, I feel like I'll be happy. Not to mention, 4WD as price matched and beat everything, so I'm ordering from one spot for an unbelievable deal shipped to my door.

Couple of things to note:

I didn't want Bilstein 5100s, had them for a really short period of time and was not happy with them which is why I went with the OME long travels. I read some reviews with pairing the Currie springs and these came up a few times but not much. So I am fully aware this is sort of an experiment with the lengths and valving but I'm ok with that. I'm somewhat worried about the Antirock with its on-road compliance but it should be fine based on what I've seen.

Originally, I had plans to do a modest OME lift, body lift, and 33s. While talking this over with my father, who brought me up working on Jeeps, he reminded me the Jeep has 226k miles on it. Suspension bushings and other items will need my attention. With my original plans, it'd be running me in the neighborhood of $2700+ with tires before any surprises. The new order is $3900 all-in, but I'll have an entirely new suspension, tires and will address steering in the new month or so.

I appreciate everyone following along and making recommendations. This is what its all about and looking forward to the building process. Oh and the Jeep isn't even here yet hahaha

Reactions: Alex01 and zebra12