Back in the Saddle

Cheers, man & welcome aboard! Try and get some pics up. Always nice to see another variation of our TJ's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll bet it's good to be back, huh? How did you handle 3 years without a TJ!?

A lot of working, and bringing two beautiful little girls into this world.... (the little girls helped a lot more than the work, but man did I miss it! lol)

Same story here! I've got two little girls, and ever since I've had them, my TJ has been put on the side-burner for a little. I still drive it and work on it, I just don't get to do it as much as I did before I had them. That's fine though, because once they're in school it's back to the TJ!

Reactions: NicKnack
Same story here! I've got two little girls, and ever since I've had them, my TJ has been put on the side-burner for a little. I still drive it and work on it, I just don't get to do it as much as I did before I had them. That's fine though, because once they're in school it's back to the TJ!

That's a pipe dream my friend. Two of my three are in school and the only thing I can tell you is that you have less time as they grow. More and more extra curricular activities like field trips, art in action (and many other volunteer opportunities), school play, school band, school chorus, girl scouts, ballet, year book committee, Food truck Fridays and walkathons at the school for fundraisers, piano lessons (offered through the school), tons of recitals and the list go on and on. But its all good though, its a beautiful thing to watch them grow.

IMG_1165.JPG
IMG_1166.JPG
Here it is... I'm not sure what brand lift is on it (4") or even if it's installed properly yet... but it runs... and I'm driving 5 hrs to Syracuse tomorrow with it and towing a trailer back the next day.

Last edited:
That's a pipe dream my friend. Two of my three are in school and the only thing I can tell you is that you have less time as they grow. More and more extra curricular activities like field trips, art in action (and many other volunteer opportunities), school play, school band, school chorus, girl scouts, ballet, year book committee, Food truck Fridays and walkathons at the school for fundraisers, piano lessons (offered through the school), tons of recitals and the list go on and on. But its all good though, its a beautiful thing to watch them grow.

Mine's 14 now. I'm just starting to get back into the swing of weekend trips! Patience my friend! It may be a while....[emoji30]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris and UpperMI
Update:
Returned from Syracuse and realized a few issues along the way. They should be easy enough to fix though, provided my pockets don't empty first.

Pulls to the right while braking
Hood latches are loose/worn
Stock mirrors are too loose
I think the gearing may be to high for the tires
There's a slight scent of burning oil

Overall, I'd say "not too bad", for 192k and who knows how many owners.

Reactions: Chris
Welcome to the forum!!

Totally agree lol but you can always find time and bring them along for the ride. In 2006 when I got my TJ my son was 6 (yup a Y2K baby LOL) and daughter was 10. Now she is about to turn 21 and loves Jeeps about as much as me.

The days when the kids were little and Jeep was new and stock lol
before_1490279736548.jpg

Can anyone help me I.D. A few things? Pictures are attached for everything

I'm hoping that the silver on my lift doesn't mean that it's RC, the only markings are some serial numbers and "made in Mexico"
IMG_1193.JPG

Just found a small crack in the frame right above skid plate... repairable???
IMG_1195.JPG
IMG_1197.JPG
IMG_1198.JPG

Lastly, I.D. On these control arms?

IMG_1194.JPG

You will definitely need to weld up a section of that frame. The crack and the large hole are not good.
They look like RC fixed control arms. Probably using the Polyurethane bushings which are not very reliable.

You will definitely need to weld up a section of that frame. The crack and the large hole are not good.
They look like RC fixed control arms. Probably using the Polyurethane bushings which are not very reliable.
Maaaaan... so I'm looking at a full RC 4" lift then... incorrectly installed at that.

Just looked up the kit... that's the reason they cut into the frame...

Maaaaan... so I'm looking at a full RC 4" lift then... incorrectly installed at that.

Just looked up the kit... that's the reason they cut into the frame...
I know many here don't them but I have used them since day one. Started with 2" pucks, went on to the 4" like you have and since about 4 years have been running the RC 6" long arms. No complaints at all. Bushings going bad is a common thing on any short fixed arm lift because there is no give when flexing.

I know many here don't them but I have used them since day one. Started with 2" pucks, went on to the 4" like you have and since about 4 years have been running the RC 6" long arms. no complaints at all. Bushings going bad is a common thing on any short fixed arm lift because there is no give when flexing.
My current plan of action ($$ dependent) is to leave the kit on, repair the frame, install a SYE and get ride of the skid plate bars that came with the kit... would that require new control arms?