Back on the road

Hound Dog

TJ Enthusiast
Well, it was looking bleak for my much neglected 02. It got ignored for summer fun as motorcycles took the place of wind in the face fun. Then work and life got the best of everything and I didn't have time for either. I do however live on a mountain (you guys out west would laugh and call it a dirt mound) and have used the little 02 to get around in winter when the roads are bad and the people in the flatlands don't understand why you can't make it because the city roads are clear. Rust and sit time were getting the best of it. I looked it over and wanted to dump it for something new. Then I got sticker shock and had to break out the paddles to shock my wallet back to life!

Repairs and rigging began. I figure to get another year or so out of it, we'll see. At least have to get through this winter.

I put new brakes all around, calipers and all. Flushed the system and it was good. Then was the rust... Spring perches were gone. Welded in new ones. The frame just needed two patches and it was fair. The body mounts were bad off. I had a shop near me take care of them, welding in new mount points.

I cut off the rusting fenders and cobbled together new ones with some scrap diamond plate I had in the garage. Ground down the remaining rust ares and gave it a brand new paint job. Straight from Home Depot with Rustoleum camo. When using that, check the lot numbers on the bottom of the cans. If they don't match it is very noticeable.

Slapped some new 33x12.5 Duratracs on that I got from Quadratec.

Should I regear? Probably but I don't think it will last long enough to be worth the money. It has 3.73s in it now. 44 rear with the stock trac-lok. 3 speed auto.

It has some leaks that I need to get under and see if they are worth fixing. I will also be putting new straps on the u joints since the current ones are heavily rusted.

20191012_162745.jpg

20191012_162734.jpg

Thanks guys.

Yea, in looking at fenders, there's not much to the aftermarket ones. I just traced a cardboard template out, cut all the rusted stock fender back leaving a lip and the wheel well and cut some diamond plate to fit. I wrapped it with some angle. All aluminum with stainless fasteners and sealed with urathane caulk.

If you had to buy the plate it might not be worth it. I had it left from a demo job. It has been in my garage for about 4 years waiting on a use.

Oooh. Love the fenders. They don't look like an afterthought at all.

You get Bofa-Deez thumbs up 👍👍
I chuckle every time I see your name.
Me: You want some bofadeez?
Unsuspecting victim: What’s bofadeez?
Me: 😎

And the rest is history.