Backyard tore to crap

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Finally getting started on the house extension...

DSC00506.JPG
DSC00511.JPG

Soil guy is coming Monday to check for proper soil density/compaction, then its wait for the sub to come do the concrete and block...

What are the holes drilled in the exterior for ?
What you're seeing are "grabbers" holding on fender washers. Holds hurricane shields when needed. They went up 4 years ago in a huge hurry just before Irma. Will get re-engineered after this project...

Reactions: JMT
Ok well we don't have those in CA. but we do have Earthquake codes, kind of the same thing just local codes

Reactions: JMT
I'd rather deal with earthquakes. I *HATE* hurricanes.
You're insane. You'd rather have unexpected ground movements that a storm that can be forecast weeks in advance?

Looks like a hell of a project, is the gravel area the add'l living space?

Reactions: MarvinL
You're insane. You'd rather have unexpected ground movements that a storm that can be forecast weeks in advance?

Looks like a hell of a project, is the gravel area the add'l living space?
Its possible to build against earthquakes, its damn hard to stop storm surge. Seeing a hurricane spinning its way towards Florida, not knowing where its going or what its going to do is terrifying. And it happens EVERY fucking year. I grew up in Commiefornia, and only had to deal with an earthquake once. ONCE! OTOH, my wife would agree with you - she grew up with tornadoes and earthquakes terrify her beyond the capacity for rational thought.

Footings dug for the expansion. RH window is MBR, that half of the wall comes down. LH window is my Library. That will be bricked in. The left half will be a walk in closet.

DSC00509.JPG

On the far right, there will be an added screen room that comes out to about the edge of the current eave of the MBR roofline. The rest of the rock/gravel will be a patio expansion.
DSC00510.JPG

If you don't recognize communism....try and build something!
Tell me about it. I've seen it countless times before — gov't gets involved so it takes twice as long and costs more money. For absolutely NOTHING. Yet the building dept. here is head and shoulders above the bullshit I had to deal with in California. I had to get the state after the local department...

• Wow
Reactions: Farmergreg
My Colorado cousin has but up two "factory built" houses. First one about 25 years ago 1 hour east of Denver vacant 5 acres property, it was a piece of cake.
The one he's mostly done with now is on 160 acres and off grid about 2 hours SW of Denver. Complete shitshow of permitting / inspection hold ups. Then contractors who don't show and some that show that do crap work. He's completing the rest of the work himself.

My Colorado cousin has but up two "factory built" houses. First one about 25 years ago 1 hour east of Denver vacant 5 acres property, it was a piece of cake.
The one he's mostly done with now is on 160 acres and off grid about 2 hours SW of Denver. Complete shitshow of permitting / inspection hold ups. Then contractors who don't show and some that show that do crap work. He's completing the rest of the work himself.
That's pretty typical.

Oh, you can build without permits, but wait till you need an appraisal or want to sell?
Zorba, are you doing the project yourself or subbing it out?
I just love home projects! lol
I can't get one completed before the wife starts me on another one.
I fucked up by showing her I know how to "do stuff" she had no idea I knew how to do.

• Haha
Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Oh, you can build without permits, but wait till you need an appraisal or want to sell?
Zorba, are you doing the project yourself or subbing it out?
I just love home projects! lol
I can't get one completed before the wife starts me on another one.
I fucked up by showing her I know how to "do stuff" she had no idea I knew how to do.
This project is WAY beyond my capabilities. I could do the electrical work, and actually am going to do the paint and flooring, but otherwise a contractor is handling it all. Too old to do concrete work anymore and the forming for same turned out to be very complex! The project bid in at at least 2X what I thought it should be, but whatcha gonna do?

Tell me about it. I've seen it countless times before — gov't gets involved so it takes twice as long and costs more money. For absolutely NOTHING. Yet the building dept. here is head and shoulders above the bullshit I had to deal with in California. I had to get the state after the local department...
Yeah.... get a hospital project approved in SF and you'll learn about code hell. 6 separate codes involved..... State of CA OSHPD which was set up originally for structural integrity.... now it's 20K people who it feel like each one has to sign off on your project....

A 50,000SF hospital addition in AZ would take 40 days to get approved.... in SF/CA it's up to 300 if you and another 200 if your plans get bounced. Cost of a hospital in SF area: $1,850 to 2,100 a SF.... same building in AZ: $450 to $485.

I've designed hospitals in Florida (Brandon, ST. Pete and Winter Haven) and while it's easier than CA.... it's a lot harder than AZ.

I wouldn't give $5 for the whole state of California ! but hey their getting what they deserve now with all the smash and grab thefts. maybe we should remove the partial wall on the Mexico border and put it around California instead, and just before putting up the last section, kick Pelosi and Waters ass in there and seal it shut