Backup camera reverse wire?

RWerksman

Supporting Member
I just installed a Sony Android Auto Radio, and a backup camera. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a wire in the for reverse.

Is there a good place to pick it up under the dash? Any idea what wire that it would be and where?

There should be a reverse wire coming off the block under the driver side under dash. Check your wireing diagram for the right color.
20181128_200142.jpg

Is yours an "X?" If not, you should have a wire right under your top center dash panel that feeds the compass mirror (even if you don't have the compass mirror). Hang on, I'll get you the color...

It looks to be white with light green tracer. Just pull up on the middle top dash panel (the one with the defrost vents).

One way or the other you have a wire for reverse since you have reverse lights. I know there is a wire that comes off the transmission that does this but there may be a more accessible point elsewhere.

Is yours an "X?" If not, you should have a wire right under your top center dash panel that feeds the compass mirror (even if you don't have the compass mirror). Hang on, I'll get you the color...

Not all Jeeps that aren't X's have that harness. My 2006 Unlimited didn't have it.

I've done a bit more reading, and it looks like violet with the back tracer from the second plug up is it.

I'll report back after giving it a whirl...

Why do you want to hook it up? Mine works fine without it. Thought I was smart enough to turn rear on when backing up or not. Also nice to use when not in reverse..

In my 2004 LJ with a factory auto-dimming mirror the reverse wire is Purple with a black trace. It was easily accessible from directly inside of the radio cavity as part of a bundle that was wrapped in black tape. I just peeled back some of the electrical tape, found the purple/black and tapped in.