Bad key switch

Wes london

my wife has had a few issues where she tried to start the Tj and it won't unless you lift up the key when starting. But last week it wouldn't start and she's been driving my truck since. Auto zone lists two parts to replace it but I'm not sure which item is the culprit for failure. Any recommendations?

Sounds like she has to jiggle the key to get it to start, yes? If so, I would almost guarantee it's the ignition switch that needs to be replaced.

Which ones the common replacement?

image.png

image.png

For some reason they are separate line items. I'm guessing ones the part the key goes in and the other is on the opposite side.

or...
DSC_0005 (1).jpg

yes. Key this side... right. The white fork goes into the switch... left
Real common for the die cast tips to break every 10??? years.
Ignition actuator??? I bought a Dorman part about $50.00?

As I recall I had to play with mine too for a month... betting 1 tip was broken. 2 tips and No Start.

Last edited:
Parts are ordered. Should be in tomorrow. I ordered both parts so I can just replace them. No need for the actuator pin to break a week later.

Reactions: Serbonze
Parts came in from 1aauto. Put it together. No start. Reassembled, made sure it all lines up and starts like a champ. Let's see if she has another problem.

Reactions: Chris
Well we will see. The issue was random in the past. To where she would click all the way and it wouldn't start or do anything. And every now and then you'd have to lift up on the key to get it to turn. So if this repair doesn't work, new tumbler.