Badlands Offroad Park in Attica, Indiana

Mike_H

autos are better - WRWD508
Supporting Member
I posted a bit in my build thread and I'll do a bit more trip summary here. Last weekend, a group of buddies and I spent three days at the park in the title. It was an awesome time. We had two TJ's (mine and an 00 sport on 33's), an LJ on 35's and a Cherokee on 32's. All locked. Good group to get in trouble with.

1653516695978.png
1653519095622.png

1653516737845.png

The park is large, at 1400 acres. Its an old sand and gravel mine that has been "converted." Lots of varied terrain and obstacles to scratch every itch. There is a creek that runs through the property and you can drive in it...which was a first for me. Not sure how they get around that with the DEQ or EPA...but it was fun! We did three of the four trails they have and kinda ran out of time for the fourth. The trails are long and go around the whole property. Mud holes, climbs, rocks gardens, and sand dunes. You get a little bit of everything on their trails. They also have some specific areas. I mentioned sand dunes. There is a LOT of sand hill terrain. Its not really sand, its very coarse, but not really gravel either. It reminded me of stamp sand (the stuff left over from mining copper). That was fun to play in and made me wish I had better shocks. it would have made the whoop areas a LOT more fun. I managed to loose my first bead in the sand too...

1653516299187.png

Dropped into a bowl at a fairly high rate of speed and heard it let go. I finished and got out of the bowl and could feel it. Thankfully I didn't screw up the tire. Swapped the spare on and reseated the bead back at the house we rented (where we left our compressor).

We spent a fair bit of time playing in the "quarry." Those "rockstar garage" guys put out a video on it. There is a part of that video that we didn't try though, because we couldn't find it...called the v-notch. That looks a bit more challenging that the cliff face in the Quarry (which is where most of the video is taken).

Anyway, some pics of the quarry.
1653517045135.png

1653517101507.png

1653517132552.png

Screwing around, putting tires on stuff...

1653517175379.png
1653517189582.png

the Cherokee making a short, fairly vertical climb.

1653518596739.png

I think the driver was spooked...

1653518632139.png

Trying to capture a sense of scale...This is my ugly mug and 6-2 frame with my jeep in the background.

1653517247217.png

We did have one little issue in the quarry...well, two, I guess. The LJ got hung up on his belly pan and needed a little tug. He wiped out one of his U-joint straps. Easy fix.

1653517338804.png

And I don't have pictures of it, but I was struggling with a climb, spun all four, and dropped my driver's front tire off the ledge I was trying to climb. It was scary...thought I was going over. No one had cameras out because everyone else made it without issue so it wasn't like a, "Hold my beer and watch this," moment. I tried it again later and made it without issue as well. It was wet and slick, and I think having both lockers activated caused it. The rocks were off camber and with all four tires spinning they just slide. Good learning experience.

We also played around in the tubes. This was a fun little area with a technical climb that we surprised a lot of people on.

1653518463814.png

1653519300059.png

1653519048606.png

The climb...it was pretty badly undercut and canted toward the tree. I will have to bug @NashvilleTJ about softtop repair...Oops

1653518679088.png

1653519804863.png

Last edited:
Some random trail pics...We did Red, Blue, and Orange. Blue was MUDDY, but had the most technical climbs. Red was a lot of the blue trail, but traded some of the mud for rock gardens (FUN). Orange was just a good overview of the park.

"most difficult" climb on blue (they have a warning).

1653520100929.png

MUDHOLE!!! Wasn't bad though. Good solid bottom for traction so no one got stuck. It definitely wasn't the clay based silty shit I wheel in around here.

1653520154409.png

Rock Garden
1653520314469.png

1653520328467.png

It was a great time. I highly recommend the park. It was pretty inexpensive (60 bucks for 3 days) and it has a LOT of things for everyone. You could have just as much fun in a stock rig as you could with a well built one.

I posted a bit in my build thread and I'll do a bit more trip summary here. Last weekend, a group of buddies and I spent three days at the park in the title. It was an awesome time. We had two TJ's (mine and an 00 sport on 33's), an LJ on 35's and a Cherokee on 32's. All locked. Good group to get in trouble with.

View attachment 332890View attachment 332908

View attachment 332891
The park is large, at 1400 acres. Its an old sand and gravel mine that has been "converted." Lots of varied terrain and obstacles to scratch every itch. There is a creek that runs through the property and you can drive in it...which was a first for me. Not sure how they get around that with the DEQ or EPA...but it was fun! We did three of the four trails they have and kinda ran out of time for the fourth. The trails are long and go around the whole property. Mud holes, climbs, rocks gardens, and sand dunes. You get a little bit of everything on their trails. They also have some specific areas. I mentioned sand dunes. There is a LOT of sand hill terrain. Its not really sand, its very coarse, but not really gravel either. It reminded me of stamp sand (the stuff left over from mining copper). That was fun to play in and made me wish I had better shocks. it would have made the whoop areas a LOT more fun. I managed to loose my first bead in the sand too...

View attachment 332888

Dropped into a bowl at a fairly high rate of speed and heard it let go. I finished and got out of the bowl and could feel it. Thankfully I didn't screw up the tire. Swapped the spare on and reseated the bead back at the house we rented (where we left our compressor).

We spent a fair bit of time playing in the "quarry." Those "rockstar garage" guys put out a video on it. There is a part of that video that we didn't try though, because we couldn't find it...called the v-notch. That looks a bit more challenging that the cliff face in the Quarry (which is where most of the video is taken).

Anyway, some pics of the quarry.
View attachment 332892

View attachment 332893

View attachment 332894

Screwing around, putting tires on stuff...

View attachment 332895View attachment 332896

the Cherokee making a short, fairly vertical climb.

View attachment 332904

I think the driver was spooked...

View attachment 332905

Trying to capture a sense of scale...This is my ugly mug and 6-2 frame with my jeep in the background.

View attachment 332897

We did have one little issue in the quarry...well, two, I guess. The LJ got hung up on his belly pan and needed a little tug. He wiped out one of his U-joint straps. Easy fix.

View attachment 332898

And I don't have pictures of it, but I was struggling with a climb, spun all four, and dropped my driver's front tire off the ledge I was trying to climb. It was scary...thought I was going over. No one had cameras out because everyone else made it without issue so it wasn't like a, "Hold my beer and watch this," moment. I tried it again later and made it without issue as well. It was wet and slick, and I think having both lockers activated caused it. The rocks were off camber and with all four tires spinning they just slide. Good learning experience.

We also played around in the tubes. This was a fun little area with a technical climb that we surprised a lot of people on.

View attachment 332903

View attachment 332914

View attachment 332907

The climb...it was pretty badly undercut and canted toward the tree. I will have to bug @NashvilleTJ about softtop repair...Oops

View attachment 332906

View attachment 332917

That photo with you for reference is just nuts. But overall looks like you had some good fun!

Reactions: Mike_H and JMT