Balancing beads

Ahoragi

TJ Addict
I've just installed 6oz of EZ beads (amazon: $40) in each of my 31's in attempt to correct a highway shimmy/bump wobble that occured after a wheeling trip. I've used beads quite a few times in the past so this ain't new. I took the jeep out and drove it hard over bumpy roads. The result: smooth rolling tires with zero wobble.

Once again the beads worked as intended and I probably will not have to balance my tires ever again.

I highly recommend these EZ beads, dynabeads, or any of the similar ceramic beads for aggressive tires that see occasional or frequent abuse.

Reactions: Frank
I've never heard of this before in my life until now... Wow, how cool! One of these days I am going to have to try these out if they work as well as you say!

So you can use these with no wheel weights at all and they work without any vibration? If so, that's amazing!

Beads have been around for many years. I have not used them. However, I have had some horribly out of balance tires from the dealers. - I won't say it was MT Bajas) After having them "forced balanced" they still were not right. Maybe the beads would have worked in addition to weights.

Reactions: Chris
Beads are friggin awesome!! No worries about loosing a weight, or spinning one on the rim. I used them on my 32's on my WJ, and they rode smooth as silk.

Now, I didn't use actual balancing beads, as they are stupid expensive here. Instead I used airsoft BB's. I plan on using them in the tires on my TJ too, as I have a shimmy, and part of one weight has broken.

Yeah airsoft bb's work as well but are a little more noisy when coming to a stop and you have to remove the tire from the wheel to install them. They are quite bigger than the beads and do not fit through the valve stem.

You can use the beads with or without wheel weights. My tires were balanced originally and I added 6 oz of beads with the weights still attached.

I used to run swampers back when they were $95-$110 a piece (31x11.5 ltb's) and the beads kept them riding smooth (except the flat spotting).

Reactions: Chris and derekmac
I have them now on my Honda Goldwing and plan on putting them in my 33x12.50 BFGs because they don't balance well
What year Goldwing? I am on my 3rd and never needed extra stuff to balance.

In my DIY Beadlock thread on this forum, I noted I used airsoft bbs to balance my 35s with beadlocks. There is an estimator/chart somewhere on Pirate4x4 with weight recommendations. It recommended 8oz for 35s, but I went with a little more, for a total of 10oz per wheel. It works great, and I'm very happy with the results.

Reactions: derekmac
I inserted 6 oz of beads in each front wheel (31" Kuhmo's) yesterday and did a 40 mile run on the Intestate just now and the results were remarkable. Typically between 60 and 65 there was always enough vibration for the GPS with the windshield suction mount to slowly dip down to where it would rest in top of the center bezel. Not any more, it just sits there as still as can be.

The beads have my vote.

Last edited:
That's fantastic news! I'd never even heard of these until now, but I'm definitely going to put this on my to do list.

Chris, I had never heard of this either but after reading the initial post I did some googling and the consensus seemed very positive.

Sounds like it is! Pretty cool that something like this exists.

I have been using DynaBeads on my motorcycles for years. I wouldn't even think of installing new tires without them. I was also a Honda "Darksider" before I triked my '08 Goldwing. DynaBeads are not prohibitively expensive from Amazon. I highly recommend them.

Chief

I have used the beads in my Motorcycle for years with great results. I just ordered them for my 31"s Cooper AT/3 so I am hopeing for same results. Will let ya know when I get them this week and get them installed.

I'm thinking I might have to add a little more beads. Maybe 8 or 10 oz instead of 6. I started to get a wobble over bumps lately.