Balancing Beads

JMT

Just another auto...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I've read a couple threads on here about these beads. Most comments were very positive. @Ahoragi . I'd just get them balanced but I live in a small town and I've gone through about all of them and I still get a shimmy between 40-45mph if the road isn't near perfect. I'm tired of messing with it. Anyone have any thoughts about these beads?

https://checkeredflagtirebalancebeads.com/tire-charts/#lighttrucks

As you probably heard, I had a little balance issue too from Discount Tire, so I went to Goodyear and they tried too, and couldn't get it either, so they offered to take all of the weight off and run the beads, but I turned them down, because like you I have heard of them, but never heard from anybody I know. It ended up being a couple of bad brand new tires, and Discount replaced the tires and fixed my issue. If they hadn't, I may have been desperate enough to try them. That said, I have a friend with a Victory motorcycle and swears by them.

I am curious to hear from anybody that has actually tried them.

I been running them since I first discovered them back in 2006 when I needed something for my super swampers. They actually work very well. I install them via the valve stem and run a filtered valve core (a must).

I got the ebay beads in my TJ's tires now and going to toss 8 oz in each of my 4runner's tires soon.

I been running them since I first discovered them back in 2006 when I needed something for my super swampers. They actually work very well. I install them via the valve stem and run a filtered valve core (a must).

I got the ebay beads in my TJ's tires now and going to toss 8 oz in each of my 4runner's tires soon.
Do you ditch the weights already on the wheel first?

I don't but you can. I had the wheels painted black before the beads were tossed in so the weights got painted too. I just left em on there so I would not have to paint again. The beads will still function.

Use the chart on the website or check out innovative balancing website for a chart.

http://innovativebalancing.com/mobile/chart_spec.php?4x4=1

More is better than not enough. I personally like 6 oz for 31" or smaller and 8 oz for 33's.
X2. I ordered 4 - 6oz bags today for $24 through eBay for 31's. There's an applicator and new valve stems and caps. They'll be here next week. I'll report back since I know several folks here have balancing issues. My exact issue is a steering shimmy on paved back roads bw 40-45mph. Drives me batty. I hope this solves it. One thing that attracted these to me was that no matter what happens to your tires over time, the beads constantly balance along with the changes. With an MT and on and off road I think I'm having significant changes. Also, they've been used for 30+ years on motorcycles and 18 wheelers.

What about mounting and dismounting...Like if I develop a leak and want to take it to the shop to have them fix it. When they pop the bead, will the balancing beads run all over the place?

Nope they stay inside due to the curved sidewall BUT shops tend to use luberication to mount tires and it is recommended to not use any because the beads will stick to it. It is a good idea to buy an extra bag of beads to have on hand in case you run into a situation where you lose some or all.

I have not had any flats or punctures to date. I bring a shop vac and extension cord when i go in for tire swaps and ask the tire tech to vacuum em out or allow me to. Then i toss in new bags in the new tires.

Tip: Getting the beads to flow through the valve stem can be tricky. I used to keep tapping the valve stem with a screwdriver buy I found a way to speed up the process with a drill. The spinning part of most drills is ribbed for you to grip when tightening/securing a drill bit. Rest this part on the tube or valve stem and run the drill at a low speed. The conatant vibration will keep the beads flowing into the tire.

Last edited:
I've used airsoft pellets now for years. Works great! 3.5-4 Oz. in a 35" tire balances them well unless there's a real problem with the tire being incredibly lopsided when it was assembled in the molding process. Costs next to nothing, wont scrape off or fall off when wheeling in the rocks or mud. Overall the only way I balance big tires anymore these days. Under $5 does all 5 tires.
RE

Reactions: LHC30 and StG58
Ok...I'm liking this more and more...How do you replace the Valve stems without breaking the bead? Most of them install from the inside of the wheel and pull through, correct?

Reactions: StG58
You are only replacing the valve core that is inside the valve stem. It screws out using a valve core tool that most bead kits include. Tire repair kits usually have the tool as well. Looks like a screwdriver.

Hit up youtube for some vids on how it is done.

Reactions: StG58
Arghh, got the beads and tried to put them in today through the valve stem. Little dudes kept getting clogged up. Had a nice vibration device running too, an extra pair of kids hands and went slow. It was frustrating to say the least. I finally gave up and tried to break the bead so I could dump them in. That got frustrating too so I just mounted the wheel back up! Any more tips?

Remove the valve core and drill out the hole one bit size bigger than it is. I forget what size but you can google it. Just do not drill too wide that you hit the threads for valve core. I had to do this to my wrangler when the beads got stuck.

Thanks.

Will I need a bit designed to drill out metal to drill those out?

Any bit. it is rubber or plastic. Try the actual size and see if there is a flap or anything blocking the beads b4 going wider. I remember them saying sometimes there is a flap on some valve stems.

Try not to pour the beads too fast that it fills the tube 100%. Keep the beads flowing slowly, little by little, so only half the tube is being used. It is not a fast process and does take about 10 to 15 min per.

Last edited:
Update. Followed @Ahoragi advice and drilled out valve stem, first with a 1/8" and then with a 9/64". This basically solved the problem of getting them to stop clogging. My wife has a small handheld massage gizmo that vibrates. As long as I put it under the tube right near the mouth of the valve stem they went in single file like a bunch of 3rd graders. The few times they disobeyed it was easy to unclog. One wheel done. Removed weights. Will finish the rest tomorrow and see how they balance! I'm really hoping here.

The gizmo:

IMG_6663.JPG

Three cheers for Ahoragi!

Okay, so got Balancing Beads in front two tires. It is a pain, but if you're patient you get it down pretty good and they go in well. Pulled the weights off the back side just like the directions said.

Now the drive is terrible. Can't get over 42mph without DW. Maybe the tires are balancING, maybe they're not. Who knows? All I know is it drives horrible. What a pain. I guess something else is wrong, but I'm going to get them balanced, or put the weights back on where they were and see how that is. I'll probably have to replace the whole front end to get this mess sorted out.