Balancing Beads

Maybe you need more beads?

At least I haven't been living with vibes like you for nearly as long!

The recommended amount of beads/tire on multiple sites for 31x10.5 is 6oz. That's what I did and the results I got suck. I saved the weights, so I'll re-adhere them later today and see how it drives then. Anything will be better. Had to drive to town 10 miles at 40mph. At least it wasn't 50 miles!

I'm also going to continue diagnosing the DW. I really don't have the money to spend, but I'm thinking of doing the ZJ Tie Rod and drag link conversion with a new steering dampener (mines leaking and not working). I realize it's not the steering dampener, just needs to be replaced. If that doesn't solve the DW I'll look at suspension related parts.

Reactions: psrivats
Do a dry steering test on your two drag link tie rod ends. If they don't have any play, then you'll only need the ZJ tie rod ends and adjusting sleeve to purchase.

Reactions: psrivats and JMT
Do a dry steering test on your two drag link tie rod ends. If they don't have any play, then you'll only need the ZJ tie rod ends and adjusting sleeve to purchase.
I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks!

Hmm sounds like something is not right here. Can you hear the beads moving around when you spin the tire by hand?

Hmm sounds like something is not right here. Can you hear the beads moving around when you spin the tire by hand?
Yes. I can hear them. I removed the tires to put the weights back on and I could hear them moving around then too.

Ok, I'd put up a video, but I don't have a youtube channel or any of that stuff. Here's what I found underneath.

1) The drag link at the passenger wheel definitely has play
2) The pitman arm at the steering box has a knock when you turn the wheel. It's very slight but present.
3) When you put your hand on the drag link you feel clunk, clunk....
4) There is a small amount of movement where the drag link y's with the tie rod
5) The trackbar is solid!
6) Tie rod looks good at the drivers wheel

Please advise...

Okay, so I put the wheel weights back on, sure glad I kept them and marked where they were on the rim. Now I don't get the DW, at least not every time I hit 40mph! But I can still feel it in the steering components, so I'll get them fixed up and check back. Beads still in the front tires, 6 oz each.

Reactions: bobthetj03
@Ahoragi, no, should I now that I've got them up front? It was just taking so long that after I got the front tires done I had to go to work. When I saw the results I got dismayed with the beads. If I should put them in the rears I will. Let me know...

Last edited:
No was just wondering and you could swap rears to front to see if there is any difference.

Just thought I would add some input here. I just put 8oz. of balance beads in each of my 33x12.5r15's. The tires are new and had between 2.5-4.5oz of wheels weights on each tire already. Since I had the tires mounted and balanced I have been experiencing bad wheel vibrations over 60 and would continue to get worse as speed increased. After adding the recommended 8oz to each tire I have no more vibrations. $40 well worth it.

Reactions: derekmac
My TJ had beads in the tires when I bought it. They apparently were balanced prior to adding beads, a lot of weights added. I have owned it almost a year and it has been smooth as silk at speed. It will feel like they are out of balance when you accelerate from a stop, but they seem to settle by 20-25 mph. I have new tires to mount and will have beads in them.

Reactions: Jp'n Jess
The instructions stated to remove the wheel weights when adding the beads. It rides so good now that I'm a little hesitant to remove the wheel weights. . . why mess with with good results. . . but curiosity does get the better of me sometimes. I could always put the weights back on. ;)

Reactions: ac_
The instructions stated to remove the wheel weights when adding the beads. It rides so good now that I'm a little hesitant to remove the wheel weights. . . why mess with with good results. . . but curiosity does get the better of me sometimes. I could always put the weights back on. ;)

I haven't heard anything good about the beads, but am interested. Please post up your results. I am interested in knowing what happens.

Just to let you know I have had a ton of issues from Discount tires. They put a ton of weights on all of the time and they never get it right. So the las time I got tires I ordered them from the tire rack and I got 5 tires to had a 1/4 ounce 2 had 1/2 ounce and one had about 3 ounces. At first I was discouraged, but it rides smooth and of course I made the 3 ounce one as a spare. Tire rack does the road force balance, but DT charges extra for it. Would be pretty amazing if I can eliminate the tire company all together with beads.

I'll pull the wheel weights sometime in the next few weeks just to see what happens. I would like to eliminate them if possible.

I don't have any experience here with the beads, but am sure they work. A good friend of mine that owned several over the road reefer trucks introduced me to Centramatics. I run dump trucks, and only use the Centramatics on the steer axle. They work wonders, keep the truck running smooth, and the steer tires last longer. 11r22.5 steers are $500-650 each.

Another hobby of mine, military vehicles, in which I have seen people use 19 ounces of windex in each tire to balance each tire. (Think 53" tall, 600 lb. 10 ton HEMTT tire/rim) A number of fluids would work here, beet juice, antifreeze, or window cleaner.

I’m amazed . Keep this thread going .

On the death wobble, those drag link ends will allow a lot of shimmy.

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited