Ball Joint Delete Coming Soon to TJ

I've always been able to use the standard ball joint press even before I knew about the throwing them in the freezer trick. It's an exhausting job but after some experience its gotten easier. If I had the money I'd give these a try but I've had good luck with conventional ball joints.

Ya I’m not sure 470$ is worth it. That’s like 3or 4 spicer ball joint purchases and a free tool rental at the local auto parts store. I’ve owned my Jeep for 5 years and have only replaced the ball joints once.

Reactions: Chris and SvtLdr
That's kinda where I'm at also. Plus the cost to just rebuild this kit is $130. A brand new set of Spicer ball joints can be had for less than that. I'm sure the labor between the two designs is where you'll find the difference. And perhaps if I were going thru ball joints more frequently I might look at the cost differently...

Reactions: Davidtj
I think the point on any of these is that they are not being developed for those of you who have only changed a BJ once in the past 4-10 years. They were developed and are being sold to the guys who are having to replace their BJ's every 6-12 months. It's sort of like many other parts for our rigs. If you're having to ask do I need this then most likely you don't.

I agree. And if you find yourself changing ball joints every 6-12 months, perhaps there's something else contributing to this that should be addressed?

Reactions: Chris
You shouldn't (in a perfect world) need to replace ball joints more often than your wheel bearings (sealed, not repackable) on a 2 to 1 basis. If you do then there is something putting a lot of extra strain on them. Running rims with a lot of offset or even a big increase in tire/rim weight.
Obviously this doesn't apply to you Johnson Valley types.

• Haha
Reactions: SvtLdr