Ball joint press recommendations?

DustinfromOhio

TJ Enthusiast
Plan on replacing ball joints while doing brakes and diff fluid, any recommendations on a good ball joint kit that won’t break the bank? Really won’t use it often but nice to have one around.

I have the OTC kit and adapter as well but i'm also a tool junky and got it knowing replacing ball joints isn't too frequent. I agree with @Apparition tho, rent a good one if you're being economical. The Harbor Freight one will most likely work but will also be more difficult to use (unless you do get that 7894 Adapter).

I’ve done it many times without the specific jeep adaptors But they do make it much easier. I have an Astro press I believe it’s a little cheaper than otc.

I use the tool from autozone, they don't have the adapter. I stacked washers under a portion of the press to get it to work without the adapter. Done that 3x now and it works if a bit finnicky lol.

Reactions: Rcroane
I'd only do that job with the adapter kit. Autozone called it a Dana 44 adapter kit when I borrowed/rented it the last time I installed ball joints using my Harbor Freight ball joint kit .

Reactions: Rcroane
I'd only do that job with the adapter kit. Autozone called it a Dana 44 adapter kit when I borrowed/rented it the last time I installed ball joints using my Harbor Freight ball joint kit .

Thanks...if you needed it, then I'll definitely need it since this is my first time doing this job. If not available to rent, there seem to be several non-OTC adaptor kits available in the $25-$30 range. The OTC adaptor kit is hard to find and/or very pricey.

In my experience, the OTC press is notably superior to the HF press. HF may have updated their material spec since I bought it so it may rate better now.

I wouldn't spend the premium on the OTC adapter kit, though.

Totally agree and if I was running a shop and using it weekly I'd be all over OTC or something equivalent.

HF is perfectly fine for this gravel driveway shade tree mechanic.

Would be nice to know if that expansion kit works with the HF press. Always nice to have more cards in the deck.

-Mac

I too used the HF kit, it was a bit of a struggle, but managed to R&R all the ball joints with it.