Ball joints and u-joints recommendations

Cole

TJ Enthusiast
I'll be replacing the ball joints and U joints this Saturday (with help!) and trying to figure out what I need to purchase for the job. I read the Replacing ball joint post - are these still the go to for replacing ball joints?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007N6OHI0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

As far as the U joints... any recommendations? I'll be "renting" the press from O'Reilly's, figure i'll pick up the U joints there as well. Not sure if there's a huge difference from U joint to U joint to U joint..... But I'm sure there is.

I'll be replacing the ball joints and U joints this Saturday (with help!) and trying to figure out what I need to purchase for the job. I read the Replacing ball joint post - are these still the go to for replacing ball joints?

View attachment 92402

As far as the U joints... any recommendations? I'll be "renting" the press from O'Reilly's, figure i'll pick up the U joints there as well. Not sure if there's a huge difference from U joint to U joint to U joint..... But I'm sure there is.
Yes those are excellent ball joints to go with, they're what I installed into my TJ 4-5 years ago.

For u-joints, also stick with Spicer. Spicer 5-760x for the front axle shafts, Spicer 5-1310x for the driveshafts for all Wrangler TJ models except for the Rubicon which requires different driveshaft u-joints.

Reactions: Cole
Awesome. And they have them in stock too.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Thanks for all the input. Replacement went mostly problematic free. Fun little trick I learned this weekend for installing the new ball joints.... throw them in the freezer for an hour or two before your ready to install.. Heat up where they go with an acetylene torch or something of the like, then drop in the ball joints. For the most part, slid right in.

Maybe that's a well known trick though! New to me! : )