Ball Joints: Teraflex vs. Spicer

Where exactly?

loktite_zpsfxmyxrqe.jpg

Any opinions on SPC ball joints.
Mine appear to be adjustable too.
0.5°

SPC or Specialty Products Company are who developed the offset balljoints for Jeep when they ran into a problem where the inner Cs were not welded on correctly. Jeep had a TSB to solve the problem and a parts package that included the upper ball joint and assembly cups for the ball joint press. My ball joint press is SPC and has been beyond stellar in quality and durability. They are good quality and solve a problem.

Because I'm looking at the ones that are already on my Jeep.

I've put 2 kinds in my jeep: Crown (I know thats cheap shit) and they failed after about 5k miles, and Spicer, which are still kickin like 8kish later. And I beat on my heap lol

SPC or Specialty Products Company are who developed the offset balljoints for Jeep when they ran into a problem where the inner Cs were not welded on correctly. Jeep had a TSB to solve the problem and a parts package that included the upper ball joint and assembly cups for the ball joint press. My ball joint press is SPC and has been beyond stellar in quality and durability. They are good quality and solve a problem.

The PO put them on just before I bought it in 2012.
Not sure if it was to help camber or caster.

Reactions: lBasket
I've put 2 kinds in my jeep: Crown (I know thats cheap shit) and they failed after about 5k miles, and Spicer, which are still kickin like 8kish later. And I beat on my heap lol

Mine have been on for over 10 years, 90k miles, and I like to play in the rocks. ;)

• Love
Reactions: lBasket
So, I got the proper spicer ball joints, upper and lower, and as you can see from photo, the new ones have a longer shank. The longer threads don’t concern me, but where the solid shank starts is closer to the joint on the oem ones.

Has anyone found this to be the case, too and it’s not a problem or should I send them back and get different ones?
Basically I don’t want to press them in just to find out they are the incorrect part and have to press both upper and lower back out.

Thoughts?

IMG_1121.jpeg

IMG_1122.jpeg

So, I got the proper spicer ball joints, upper and lower, and as you can see from photo, the new ones have a longer shank. The longer threads don’t concern me, but where the solid shank starts is closer to the joint on the oem ones.

Has anyone found this to be the case, too and it’s not a problem or should I send them back and get different ones?
Basically I don’t want to press them in just to find out they are the incorrect part and have to press both upper and lower back out.

Thoughts?

View attachment 502345

View attachment 502346

Are you sure the old one doesn't appear shorter because it's shot/worn out? Just a guess...

Sorry to hijack a thread, but would a bad ball joint cause a loud metal popping noise when weight is transferred from the front end to the back. Every time I back up out of the driveway and the wheels are turned in the street to begin to pull forward, I’ll hear a loud pop either when stopping or taking off. I thought u joints, but I did those last year.

Last edited:
Excellent advice and much appreciated. Even without the jeep angled press adapter being sent with an amazon order, I pressed them all in with no issues. Frankly it was far easier than I anticipated. Getting the old ones out was far more of an issue. Now onto the tie rod upgrade. Appreciate the support of this group.

IMG_1473.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack a thread, but would a bad ball joint cause a loud metal popping noise when weight is transferred from the front end to the back. Every time I back up out of the driveway and the wheels are turned in the street to begin to pull forward, I’ll hear a loud pop either when stopping or taking off. I thought u joints, but I did those last year.

Control arm bolt is loose.