Ball mount snapped and killed driver (Warning: images - no gore or blood)

This is the setup I have on the back of my Jeep. Just to be clear you are all saying this is not a good idea?

IMG_7016.JPG

There were lots of folk elsewhere saying they've seen bent hitch pins that are hard to remove. I don't see that being an issue with a good cut off disc on a grinder. We've also pulled on hitch pins 100's of times in JV and never bent one. I don't doubt someone has, I've just never seen it.

bending a 5/8" pin within the span of 1.5" takes some nut, and probably the use of the wrong type of attachment and or force, no?

We pulled all kinds of heavy loads with pins on tractors.

We pulled out crap that would tear a truck apart. Thinks like a stuck 4wd tractor with a grain cart, a tractor with duels, or a combine.

Shop at Tractor Supply or a farm store for pins and clevises.

I don't know what it takes since I've never been able to do it. If I was that worried, I'd grab a Grade 8 5/8" bolt and use that.

Bending would still be a win over breaking.

I did run across this paper on hitch pins which could potentially see a similar type of load. Sadly reminded me of bent pins we used on the farm for hay racks but the big grain wagons used the better pins.

https://ppp.purdue.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/PPP-94.pdf

Reactions: InOmaha
Damn it, why would you keep your kids in there during that? Oh man, we all make mistakes, may God bless them all.

We bent a pin towing an A-7 out of a hangar. Not sure how the pin was ever removed. 19K pounds dry weight but this one did not have an engine in it. Smooth concrete but tires flat.

IMG_4959.jpeg

How big of a pin are we talking?
Well, the pin was in the aircraft, not the tow vehicle (my truck so no pictures). The aircraft had the tail hook removed so we put a pretty large pin through the assembly for the tail hook. Problem was the span between supports there was probably 10 inches. Really does not apply to this thread but it was a great experience. We put the wing back on that airplane that day and today it is on display at the National POW/MIA Memorial at the former Naval Air Station Cecil Field.

Well, the pin was in the aircraft, not the tow vehicle (my truck so no pictures). The aircraft had the tail hook removed so we put a pretty large pin through the assembly for the tail hook. Problem was the span between supports there was probably 10 inches. Really does not apply to this thread but it was a great experience. We put the wing back on that airplane that day and today it is on display at the National POW/MIA Memorial at the former Naval Air Station Cecil Field.

Makes sense. 10 inches is a fair span for a pin. My truck receiver is only 3”.

Reactions: FJQue
Makes sense. 10 inches is a fair span for a pin. My truck receiver is only 3”.

Cant remember where we got the pin. The diameter was quite large but with the large span it bent. Might have been the pin that held the entire A-frame tail hook assembly on the aircraft. When in use with a hook no gaps of course.

Reactions: Apparition
If you follow the link they talk about the pin strength.

View attachment 352249

If you don't understand what it going on with hitch pins, that can be fairly misleading. It is very similar to the bent pin at the 10" span above. In normal use, a hitch pin is fully supported close to the inside walls of the hitch receiver tube so the bending forces are concentrated at the small gaps to either side of whatever hitch draw bar or tube is being used. The pin is essentially operating in shear. When you stick that through the eye of a strap, that moves it into bending and out of shear due to width of the strap eye.

I've still never seen a bent pin but I don't discount the possibility in a receiver when used with a strap.

Ran across this video. He discusses load testing the pins saying they can bend at 9 metric tons of load.

I hate it when they start out so good, take a break in the middle to point out that the pin bends at the lowish point of 9 metric tons so you should not use it. Then they point to something with a 4 3/4 ton load limit as being better. Fucking shill.