Banks exhaust mini review

skrelnik

TJ Addict
Lifetime Supporting Member
Both my exhaust/muffler hangers rusted off so I had to do something about that. We, as TJ/LJ owners, have a few options and I ended up going with the Banks monster exhaust.

Options were:

1) Go to a local shop to reweld the hangers, and also weld the muffler seam where it was breaking apart. Cost was $200.

2) Look at one of the many inexpensive brands that uses aluminized steel for around $150. Problem is living in New England you want at least a stainless steel 409, and 304 if the wallet permits.

3) SS409 options like MBRP, Magnaflow, Dynamax and Banks. $200 and up.

4) Stock replacement. Tried to find one and could not. I ultimately wanted stock but I could only find one at quadratec and they said it was a 6 week backorder. I called various dealerships who said none are around, so I had doubts that quadratec could source one.

5) Borla has a SS304 but was too aggressively loud for my taste. Priced around $450-$500.

After listening to sound clips on YouTube, Banks was the choice. Not overly loud, but noticable. Cost was solid at $249 which included tax and shipping directly from Banks. Shipping was quick and packed well. Install was simple except for the two nuts that hold the cat to the muffler, they both rusted such that they were, well see for yourself below. Used a sawzall to cut them off. PB Blaster was used on the skid plate bolts, and tranny mount nuts, and as usual this stuff is awesome at penetrating rust.

20190601_140139.jpg20190601_142031.jpg20190601_152927.jpg

Here is a link to the product I installed for my LJ (Unlimited), Banks part number 51315-B and the B means black tip. Without the B, just 51315, is the chrome tip.

https://www.bankspower.com/i-798-mo...004-2006-jeep-4-0l-wrangler-unlimited-lj.html
Chrome tip

https://www.bankspower.com/i-797-mo...004-2006-jeep-4-0l-wrangler-unlimited-lj.html
Link to website to look up the TJ mode.

https://www.bankspower.com/

Last edited:
Good deal. I still love my Banks exhaust after a year or so with it. Great value, and the sound is just tad more aggressive than stock just as you stated.

Good deal. I still love my Banks exhaust after a year or so with it. Great value, and the sound is just tad more aggressive than stock just as you stated.

A couple of your forum posts on the Banks exhaust pushed me over the edge...so thanks!

• Haha
Reactions: mots
A couple of your forum posts on the Banks exhaust pushed me over the edge...so thanks!
Sorry to be an enabler...err I mean glad to help! If this happens again, I may need to talk to old man Banks about a commission, haha!

Reactions: skrelnik
Thanks for the heads up on this system. I was looking at it all weekend on line and wondered about it. I placed my order for one tonight. Hopefully, my bolts aren't as rusty as those!!!

Thanks

Bob

Both my exhaust/muffler hangers rusted off so I had to do something about that. We, as TJ/LJ owners, have a few options and I ended up going with the Banks monster exhaust.

Options were:

1) Go to a local shop to reweld the hangers, and also weld the muffler seam where it was breaking apart. Cost was $200.

2) Look at one of the many inexpensive brands that uses aluminized steel for around $150. Problem is living in New England you want at least a stainless steel 409, and 304 if the wallet permits.

3) SS409 options like MBRP, Magnaflow, Dynamax and Banks. $200 and up.

4) Stock replacement. Tried to find one and could not. I ultimately wanted stock but I could only find one at quadratec and they said it was a 6 week backorder. I called various dealerships who said none are around, so I had doubts that quadratec could source one.

5) Borla has a SS304 but was too aggressively loud for my taste. Priced around $450-$500.

After listening to sound clips on YouTube, Banks was the choice. Not overly loud, but noticable. Cost was solid at $249 which included tax and shipping directly from Banks. Shipping was quick and packed well. Install was simple except for the two nuts that hold the cat to the muffler, they both rusted such that they were, well see for yourself below. Used a sawzall to cut them off. PB Blaster was used on the skid plate bolts, and tranny mount nuts, and as usual this stuff is awesome at penetrating rust.

View attachment 97660View attachment 97661View attachment 97662
You should post a link to the product(s) you ordered as to assist others who may not be as savvy.