Banks Sidewinder Turbo Issue with 06' TJ

Hm, at that point it probably is something going on with the tune/pcm. Luckily for you it’s not happening all the time. You mentioned swapping the fuel pump-be sure to test it again first that it’s putting out the correct amount of pressure. You might just have to continue bugging Banks about it or could just spend the extra $ and take it in for a Dyno Tune. Personally I’m wanting to stray from it currently since Banks is suppose to be able to work this out since there are no further mods.
Since my problem was that under full throttle with a warm engine at 3600 rpms the engine would stumble and then after 2 seconds return to running for second and then stumble again. At part throttle there was no problem. First I changed the OPDA, no difference. Then the fuel pump, no difference. Then crank/cam relearn, no difference. Then plugs, no difference. Then coil packs, no difference. Then rebuilt PCM, no difference. I live in Oregon so the best fuel we can get is 92 Octane with 10% alcohol. I heard no knock but just on the off chance the problem was knock I found a gas station with 98 Octane fuel so I tried some and the problem is gone. So I assumed the Jeep had a knock sensor , see attached picture, but according to Jerry, who seem to the reliable source here, the Wrangler has no knock sensor.

My question is what is the sensor in the attached picture?

IMG_4301.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It will interesting to find out why you need that high of octane, something isn’t right or they gave you a tune too aggressive for your available fuel. Was the tune flashed specified for 91 or 93 octane, or something else? If the tune was for 93, perhaps they can give you a 91 or 89 octane file to flash. Typically you step it up and monitor things before you go for the most aggressive tune. I don’t know what premium gas grade you guys have out there, nor if the quality of fuel in your area is praised or scorned. Forced induction will bring out the sins of fuel and/or other weaknesses that you may not know about, that is for sure! Let us know what you find out. Thanks!

Reactions: Bill M.
Read his first post again and it says the CEL is flashing, so he is experiencing misfire. I would be surprised if codes weren’t stored. Does the Banks solution add a knock sensor? (I don’t know much about their solution)

Read his first post again and it says the CEL is flashing, so he is experiencing misfire. I would be surprised if codes weren’t stored. Does the Banks solution add a knock sensor? (I don’t know much about their solution)

The Banks system does not add a knock sensor. I pull 6 psi all the time using 91 octane without any knocking that I can detect.

Reactions: mots
Since my problem was that under full throttle with a warm engine at 3600 rpms the engine would stumble and then after 2 seconds return to running for second and then stumble again. At part throttle there was no problem. First I changed the OPDA, no difference. Then the fuel pump, no difference. Then crank/cam relearn, no difference. Then plugs, no difference. Then coil packs, no difference. Then rebuilt PCM, no difference. I live in Oregon so the best fuel we can get is 92 Octane with 10% alcohol. I heard no knock but just on the off chance the problem was knock I found a gas station with 98 Octane fuel so I tried some and the problem is gone. So I assumed the Jeep had a knock sensor , see attached picture, but according to Jerry, who seem to the reliable source here, the Wrangler has no knock sensor.

My question is what is the sensor in the attached picture?

View attachment 111533

Oil pressure transducer I believe.

How does it feel if you smash the throttle from a dead stop? Does it accelerate good? Does it pull all the way through the RPM range or does it fall on it's face at a certain point?
It accelerates great from a dead stop. It runs through RPM ranges in each gear up until the last gear then just sticks at 3200rpms. Currently finishing up returning it to stock and see if it doesn’t change. (which it should since it ran flawlessly prior to the turbo). Currently Banks Techs couldn’t give me any insight as to why it’s doing it mentioning their tune doesn’t mess with anything related to the transmission. Though, it is integrated to the PCM so I’d imagine it potentially could.

I have done a little more research and it appears the 2006 Wrangler does have a knock sensor and the code for a failed sensor is P0325 according to the Jeep manual.

This isn’t the case from my research. I will only believe you if you can show me a link to where you can buy this OEM part ;)

I have done a little more research and it appears the 2006 Wrangler does have a knock sensor and the code for a failed sensor is P0325 according to the Jeep manual.
This isn’t the case from my research. I will only believe you if you can show me a link to where you can buy this OEM part ;)
You are correct there is no knock sensor just a code for it in the manual.

What are your plugs gapped at? I would try gapping them tighter, like around .025".
That's a good call, or a change to a colder plugs altogether would be recommended most likely.

Banks should be helping you @Sicairos49 . I feel bad that you have to go back to stock.

It accelerates great from a dead stop. It runs through RPM ranges in each gear up until the last gear then just sticks at 3200rpms. Currently finishing up returning it to stock and see if it doesn’t change. (which it should since it ran flawlessly prior to the turbo). Currently Banks Techs couldn’t give me any insight as to why it’s doing it mentioning their tune doesn’t mess with anything related to the transmission. Though, it is integrated to the PCM so I’d imagine it potentially could.
I feel your pain bro, my problem seems to be same as yours and Banks has no answers. Each time I think I make progress on the problem it just returns. I thought I had it solved with higher octane fuel but after a day the problem returned. Like yourself, I am about to remove the turbo and restore the stock tune to see if the problem goes away. Please keep us posted.