Banks Sidewinder Turbo Issue with 06' TJ

Sgt Jarhead

A wise man once said, “Google it”
Supporting Member
Been talking with Banks the last week and have only continued to have issues. Since they’re closed for the weekend I’m posting here to maybe come up with other possible answers and maybe come across another with the Sidewinder that had similar issues.

Currently my 06’ TJ with 4.0 engine and automatic transmission had only 40,xxx when installed. Prior to the install it was running flawlessly which is why I opted for the Banks Turbo. By flawless I mean going 80+mph without a hiccup, this is a rig sitting on 35’s with 4.88 gears.

After the installation and test runs I had a flashing CEL pop up (with no codes) and the Jeep wouldn’t go past 65mph (flat roads or small inclines). It would only hit a max speed of 75-80 on deep declines. After speaking with Banks about the issues last week they sent me a custom tune today and so far the flashing CEL is gone but the Jeep still won’t go over 65mph.

Things I’ve done on my end:

*Replaced spark plugs with NGK and gapped correctly
*Double checked coil pak was good by using a friends that we were aware checked out
* Double checked for a leaky injector (They we’re new that Banks provided)
*Double checked the 3 cats-all of them were good
*Replaced a downstream 02 Sensor (NGK) due to accidentally tearing a wire
*Double checked install instructions for the turbo were followed correctly

The Jeep currently isn’t throwing a single code through the dash or through a Scanner.

Yes, gauge shows 6ibs when slamming down on the gas pedal and can hear the turbo spool

Wow, that is strange. With full boost my Jeep really scoots. I don’t know what I am talking about here but could it be insufficient fuel pump pressure? Something wrong with the injector(s)? And you are sure about your cats? I can’t hear my turbo spool at all but my hearing sucks. I can hear the rush through the intercooler. Before I installed the intercooler that noise was not there.

Wow, that is strange. With full boost my Jeep really scoots. I don’t know what I am talking about here but could it be insufficient fuel pump pressure? Something wrong with the injector(s)? And you are sure about your cats? I can’t hear my turbo spool at all but my hearing sucks. I can hear the rush through the intercooler. Before I installed the intercooler that noise was not there. My turbo spools almost instantaneously. It goes from zero to 6 psi in a flash.

Subbed. Curious about what you find. I'd definitely check fuel pressure as suggested. Sounds like it might not be getting enough fuel under load to satisfy all that extra oxygen you are now forcing in.

Reactions: Sgt Jarhead
Hey got the same problem, I think. When accelerating at about 3600 rpm the engine acts like it hits the a rpm limiter. The problem is intermittent I have been been chasing the problem for months now. Banks has worked with me on the problem but nothing has fixed it yet..

My next move is a new fuel pump.

Wow, that is strange. With full boost my Jeep really scoots. I don’t know what I am talking about here but could it be insufficient fuel pump pressure? Something wrong with the injector(s)? And you are sure about your cats? I can’t hear my turbo spool at all but my hearing sucks. I can hear the rush through the intercooler. Before I installed the intercooler that noise was not there.

Going to double check fuel pressure but should still be solid. Injectors are new and didn’t leak during the install and once again checking after the issues have risen. And yes, I pulled the cats a second time thinking I may have busted one while testing it but they checjed out. I’m leaning towards an issue with the tune/pcm not working well with one another.

Hey got the same problem, I think. When accelerating at about 3600 rpm the engine acts like it hits the a rpm limiter. The problem is intermittent I have been been chasing the problem for months now. Banks has worked with me on the problem but nothing has fixed it yet..

My next move is a new fuel pump.
I’m pretty sure the rpm’s would still go but I’d have to double check on the next test drive. I’ve heard of the last few years of the TJ/LJ with auto trans that the PCM would take a crap that’s related to the transmission functioning properly. If i recall it was more like hard shift points but that might be something to look into if all else fails?

Does your issue seem to be related to rpm or is it just a speed issue?
More of a speed issue. Now that I recall RPM’s would go higher but the Jeep just stays at that speed limit though going down hill it’ll go at a speed between 75-80mph

Not a manual transmission I see, but perhaps the transmission is not able to handle the power? Might be worth checking fluid levels etc.

Reactions: Sgt Jarhead
Not a manual transmission I see, but perhaps the transmission is not able to handle the power? Might be worth checking fluid levels etc.
Had someone mention as far as a torque converter going out on a different page. For a rig with such low miles I’d be surprised but who knows.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure the rpm’s would still go but I’d have to double check on the next test drive. I’ve heard of the last few years of the TJ/LJ with auto trans that the PCM would take a crap that’s related to the transmission functioning properly. If i recall it was more like hard shift points but that might be something to look into if all else fails?
I have already replaced my PCM, which did cure the bad 1st to 2nd shift and several other issues. While the issue I have does often occur while shifting under acceleration it also happens at higher rpm's and just accelerating with both the old and new pcm. My LJ pulls hard until it just starts hiccuping about 3600/3800 rpm's under full throttle but not all the time.

I have already replaced my PCM, which did cure the bad 1st to 2nd shift and several other issues. While the issue I have does often occur while shifting under acceleration it also happens at higher rpm's and just accelerating with both the old and new pcm. My LJ pulls hard until it just starts hiccuping about 3600/3800 rpm's under full throttle but not all the time.
Hm, at that point it probably is something going on with the tune/pcm. Luckily for you it’s not happening all the time. You mentioned swapping the fuel pump-be sure to test it again first that it’s putting out the correct amount of pressure. You might just have to continue bugging Banks about it or could just spend the extra $ and take it in for a Dyno Tune. Personally I’m wanting to stray from it currently since Banks is suppose to be able to work this out since there are no further mods.