Great deals on TJ parts on Amazon!

Looking for parts for your Jeep Wrangler TJ? Checkout the selection of TJ parts Amazon has to offer, many with 2-day Prime shipping!

Click the image below to browse TJ parts on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler TJ Parts on Amazon

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Banks turbo for the 4.0?

TurboTJ

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Had a Banks turbo on my 2006 LJ auto for 3+ years with no trans problems. The 42rle is a computer controlled transmission and the computer limits the torque to trans to a safe level. Shouldn't be a problem.

I am glad it doesn’t limit my torque too much. It goes pretty good when you put your right foot in it. I was almost able to keep up with a Camry on a steel hill yesterday. That says something for a TJ.

Reactions: Apparition
B

Bill M.

I am glad it doesn’t limit my torque too much. It goes pretty good when you put your right foot in it. I was almost able to keep up with a Camry on a steel hill yesterday. That says something for a TJ.
The computer only limits the torque during shifts, after engagement the computer applies line pressure based on calculated torque and temperature.

bluescapegoat

TJ Enthusiast
I'm more of a carburetor guy but yeah if you like computers and millions of tiny wires and multiplexing.... have at 'er. Before getting yer panties in a knot.... there are a few of us who like to do it all ourselves without paying a geek to tweek the computer.

And yes, after trouble shooting the lockers... even the TJ is stupidly complex.

But first you need to be old enough to understand what hot rodding is.
Tuner cars are not hot rodded cars.
And I prefer rat rodding anyway.

Glad you found your niche in tuner tach and marketing to those who like to pay for it rather than do it.
Me? I only do it for myself.

Troubleshooting the lockers is stupidly complex? They're a few wires and air lines, entirely mechanical. Are you sure you should be doing anything yourself?

TurboTJ

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I just noticed that lots of distributors still have the Banks turbo for sale. Did Banks change their minds and start building them again?

Edit: The distributors may have them but they are not on the Banks website.

steelhd

TJ Addict
I just noticed that lots of distributors still have the Banks turbo for sale. Did Banks change their minds and start building them again?

Edit: The distributors may have them but they are not on the Banks website.
Yes they are

sierradmax

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I wouldn't count your chickens before they hatch. They might not have updated that site. If you go to their main page and put in vehicle details, the turbo kit did not appear for me.

Reactions: Bill M.

Austin 98 TJ

I decided to install the Banks Turbo (Sidewinder) with an intercooler. Did it about 4 months ago and wanted to share some of the outcomes so far. I would be happy to answer questions on either the install or other observations, but let me start with these.
First, prior to the install, I was able to do a full freeway tank drive at 65 miles per hour. It was 13.8 mpg. After the install, I drove the same distance at the same speed. It was 15.2, or 1.4 mpg better. I also did a commute tank test before and after, which included a 3000 ft. pass climb. Before the install my mpg was 13.2 and after was 15.1. That was a nearly a 2 mpg increase. I should add that my jeep has 2" lift on 31" tires and a modified exterior that causes additional drag.
Second, the torque is amazing. Yes, you could see the increase quoted on the stores webpage, but I want to share my experience. From a stop, it accelerates as fast as any new car now. In fact, not that we broke any laws, an LJ challenged me at a light just to see what would happen. Let me say it wasn't even close. And, no, I didn't take his pink slip.
Third, and this is my favorite, the horse power is instantaneous and monstrous! Before the install, I could only climb the pass at 60 mph. before it would drop a gear and push the RPMs to 4000+. After the install, I could do 80 mph IN OVERDRIVE! Not that I drove over the speed limit ;).
Hope you enjoyed reading this. And as I said, hit me up if you have any other questions.
Great info! I’m looking to do the same but only find 99-02 kits, I have a 98. Thoughts?
I’m also a beginner under the hood...
cheers!

R

Rowan River

Great info! I’m looking to do the same but only find 99-02 kits, I have a 98. Thoughts?
I’m also a beginner under the hood...
cheers!
If you're a beginner under the hood, then I would look into a supercharger. A supercharger is bolt on. I've heard about 1 or 2 hour install. Plenty of members on WTJF have done it.
The turbo will require cutting and welding. There are issues that arise that will require a moderate degree of mechanical knowledge. I chose the turbo in part because I live in California. Banks is the only one with a CARB sticker that is 50 state legal. Glad I did. Took me a couple weeks, but I wouldn't have done it any other way. I don't know the current status, but Banks is no longer making them. I bought the last one from a national company, they said. Shortly after they were discontinued on the Banks website, I saw them for $10k on ebay. If you do go turbo, there are plenty of us here to help.

Austin 98 TJ

If you're a beginner under the hood, then I would look into a supercharger. A supercharger is bolt on. I've heard about 1 or 2 hour install. Plenty of members on WTJF have done it.
The turbo will require cutting and welding. There are issues that arise that will require a moderate degree of mechanical knowledge. I chose the turbo in part because I live in California. Banks is the only one with a CARB sticker that is 50 state legal. Glad I did. Took me a couple weeks, but I wouldn't have done it any other way. I don't know the current status, but Banks is no longer making them. I bought the last one from a national company, they said. Shortly after they were discontinued on the Banks website, I saw them for $10k on ebay. If you do go turbo, there are plenty of us here to help.
Thanks! Doubt I’ll do the work myself though. I’m in TX.