Banks turbo for the 4.0?

WOW! Screw that... For $2500 you can get a bolt-on supercharger that installs in 3 hours or less and yields very close to the same power output (I know, because my last TJ was running the same supercharger).
There is a guy here in CO who did this in an XJ. Check out NAXJA. He built is specifically to kill all the Subaru’s out here lol

Reactions: kareem koshok
There is a guy here in CO who did this in an XJ. Check out NAXJA. He built is specifically to kill all the Subaru’s out here lol

I used to have the Eaton M90 supercharger on my old TJ. It transforms it entirely, makes it feel like you've got two 4.0s under the hood!

For $2500, it's really hard to beat.

I used to have the Eaton M90 supercharger on my old TJ. It transforms it entirely, makes it feel like you've got two 4.0s under the hood!

For $2500, it's really hard to beat.
I would kill you self with that lol. Actually I’d be more worried about my wife. When the top is off the TJ she drives it like a Lotus Elan lol

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Starting
I would kill you self with that lol. Actually I’d be more worried about my wife. When the top is off the TJ she drives it like a Lotus Elan lol

My biggest complaint is that you are then forced to use premium gas (which adds up), and your mpg gets even worse, because you're constantly on the accelerator trying to feel the boost!

After months of research on the difference between super chargers and turbo chargers and the months more on which system To buy I bought a Banks Turbo with intercooler and got their monster exhaust at the same time. It was installed over a 3 day weekend by my brother and I, both of us are pretty good wrenches. Any time you increase power with these types of products 2 things happen, you need to use premium fuel and you will use more of it. If I am commuting and being good I can get as high 17 mpg, if I’m not being good that number will drop to 12 pretty quick, and let’s face it with all that power on tap who is going to be good. Everyone has different wants and needs so their priorities will also be different. My priority was a quality built product, a good customer service department, a product that will last for the life of the vehicle. Some of the companies I talked to would not talk to me unless you are ordering their product. At least one company sacrificed quality for cost, another looked like box full of parts from a muffler shop. Can you buy a cheaper product than what purchased, yes you can. Can you buy a better one for the price, it is not evan close.

I dunno if you guys live in hot places like I do but I’d be really concerned about the extra heat generated by a turbocharger. Sure with an inter cooler you can mitigate some of that but it’s a lot of exhaust piping radiating a lot of heat.
Installed a Sprintex charger on my wife’s JK and that has been awesome. It doesn’t get hot at all but it sure is thirsty.

Banks builds them for the military for use in places like Afghanistan so they work in the heat as well. I guess you need to do some research on how a Banks Turbo system works to understand it, YouTube has several videos on how it works. If I am going to be spending money on something I am sure going to make sure it works, and this system is not cheap. I’ve had mine on for almost a year now and couldn’t be happier.

Banks builds them for the military for use in places like Afghanistan so they work in the heat as well. I guess you need to do some research on how a Banks Turbo system works to understand it, YouTube has several videos on how it works. If I am going to be spending money on something I am sure going to make sure it works, and this system is not cheap. I’ve had mine on for almost a year now and couldn’t be happier.

That’s good to know.

If price was my concern I would not have asked any the banks system. From what I've read, watched and heard it's the best thing out there. And doesn't take a bit of time to spool up, so when off roading it will give constant power.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ron Hockett
My main concern when wheeling with a turbo is dunking the hot charger in water and killing it with the fast cooling. I'm sure it's fine if you keep it at a constant temperature but we have to do water crossings up here. (lots of beaver ponds)

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

It’s on my list of to-do mods along with the 37” tires. I’ve looked at all the options including an aluminum Chevy 5.3 and I feel the Banks turbo is the winner. Seems expensive up front but it’s a complete turn key deal. Mine will be a little tricky making the exhaust work with my long arm lift. I’m in California so CARB is a factor in my decision. If I were somewhere where smog was not such a big deal I would consider cheaper alternatives.

I’ve met two different Jeepers running the Banks turbo. Both were very happy. That’s good enough for me...

Reactions: Starrs
hi mike ,

i got mine done and its freking awesome. i also got the water meth kit too and really all of it was worth it all
1. its fast lol you wouldn't believe how meany people hear it and just in ahh of that it has a turbo.
2. its fast as hell i know that 0-60 is never going to be a sub 9s but tell you what its fast !!
3. works great had it in for 4+ k and not a peep every thing works great except for the radiator fluid keeps running low but no leak so got to keep an eye on that

other than that it sounds great growler and the blow off is nice too, if you steep into it on a turn the front inside wheel will lift off haha bad ass.

Hey Kareem, thank you for sharing. At this point I’m still bouncing between the Banks that will require some special exhaust to get around my long arm lift (already has a customized magnaflow exhaust), and the BoostedTek supercharger. Both Banks and Boosted seem to have proven systems that work well.

Pro’s and con’s the way I see it.
1. Banks is CARB approved so smogging my Jeep is not a problem.
2. BoostedTek is easier to install (and remove or transfer to another Jeep if needed), no exhaust mods needed.
3. Performance is probably great either way.
4. I can do the supercharger install myself so cost is only the price of the system. The turbo will require some custom piping so that’s going to cost extra.
5. Price, the supercharger is going to be $3k and change, the turbo is going to be over $5k and maybe over $6k when the dust settles.
6. I already have a supercharger on my highly modified Chevy Avalanche so I am more familiar with the challenges and solutions related to superchargers than turbos.
7. I’m a big fan of Gale Banks and think he makes great stuff so this would give me an opportunity to support him and his company.
8. I’ve already been in contacted by the BoostedTec guys. They are very knowledgeable and their for support if needed.

So it really boils down to point #1, cost, and ease of install. I can register my Jeep to my buddies Lake house in rural a county where the routine smog checks are not required and go the supercharger path or spend the money on the Banks and be done.

Either way, the power mods are waiting in line behind my fender mods and the jump from 35” tires to 37s so I don’t really need to decide before next year as I see this happening no earlier than 6 months from now.

My main concern when wheeling with a turbo is dunking the hot charger in water and killing it with the fast cooling. I'm sure it's fine if you keep it at a constant temperature but we have to do water crossings up here. (lots of beaver ponds)

I'm not sure what your referring to when you say hot charger, and everything is except the turbo itself is on the top of the engine. I've had my Banks turbo for over a year and had no problems with water in Oregon and Washington. How deep are those beaver ponds that you cross?

hi mike ,

i got mine done and its freking awesome. i also got the water meth kit too and really all of it was worth it all
1. its fast lol you wouldn't believe how meany people hear it and just in ahh of that it has a turbo.
2. its fast as hell i know that 0-60 is never going to be a sub 9s but tell you what its fast !!
3. works great had it in for 4+ k and not a peep every thing works great except for the radiator fluid keeps running low but no leak so got to keep an eye on that

other than that it sounds great growler and the blow off is nice too, if you steep into it on a turn the front inside wheel will lift off haha bad ass.

Kereem, You made a comment about the radiator fluid getting low so I am assuming your Banks has an intercooler? I do and also put on their monster exhaust and can do 0-60 in less than 9 seconds. I've got about 8K on mine and it is still tight and runs great.

Reactions: LTB28
I'm not sure what your referring to when you say hot charger, and everything is except the turbo itself is on the top of the engine. I've had my Banks turbo for over a year and had no problems with water in Oregon and Washington. How deep are those beaver ponds that you cross?
My concern if for the turbo itself, sudden cooling of the housing could cause issues (I assume but don't know for sure)

Got one that built a dam that flooded an access road to about 4ft. I try not to cross anything much deeper than that but sometimes it happens when you least expect it ;)

My concern if for the turbo itself, sudden cooling of the housing could cause issues (I assume but don't know for sure)

Got one that built a dam that flooded an access road to about 4ft. I try not to cross anything much deeper than that but sometimes it happens when you least expect it ;)

I have had the turbo submerged with no ill effects, nor did Banks warn about it in any of their literature, video's, or when I spoke to Banks directly. They build vehicles for the military special ops units. Also, their are a ton of video's on You Tube and if this was an issue it would have been brought up there. Gale Banks has been building turbo's forever and his company is first rate.

Reactions: Juggernaut