Banks turbo for the 4.0?

265/75/16 TA KO2 tires (about 31.5 inch), 6-speed manual (6th gear is 0.84 OD), 4.10 gears. With the turbo it moves right along but a Civic can still outrun me.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCNoDots
Does anyone with the banks turbo system have to do any special maintenance like between oil changes other then clean the air filter?

I am considering the Banks Turbo for my 2005 LJ. It is an automatic (4 spd) and I have regeared to 4.88.
Do I need to have a tranny rebuild done first in order to safely handle the added horsepower, and torque?

I am considering the Banks Turbo for my 2005 LJ. It is an automatic (4 spd) and I have regeared to 4.88.
Do I need to have a tranny rebuild done first in order to safely handle the added horsepower, and torque?

I have had my Banks Sidewinder Turbocharger with intercooler in my ‘04 TJ automatic with 3.73 gears for over 2 years and I am just now getting my transmission rebuilt because of the added hp & torque. It’s going to cost you the same either way. When mine failed I was on the freeway, it would have been a different story if I had been back on a trail. I absolutely love the power and torque I have with the turbo, now I won’t have to worry about my transmission failing again.

Ron — thank you for your response. I've been thinking about a stroker for some time but am moving in the direction of the Banks Sidewinder Turbo Intercooled now. Either way, I thought it might be wise to rebuild the transmission. The tranny runs fine now but I figure it was never designed to handle the added power and a rebuild will be the next project.

Reactions: Ron Hockett
Ron — thank you for your response. I've been thinking about a stroker for some time but am moving in the direction of the Banks Sidewinder Turbo Intercooled now. Either way, I thought it might be wise to rebuild the transmission. The tranny runs fine now but I figure it was never designed to handle the added power and a rebuild will be the next project.

I researched for more than a year before I purchased the Banks. It was also a relative easy installation. My brother and I did it over a Memorial Day weekend almost 3 years ago. I also installed a Banks Monster Exhaust at the same time. My 4.0 only had 47K miles on it and liked the idea of retaining it and it’s ledgenary longevity, also the weight increase in minimal. Rebuilding the transmission now will save you headaches down the road regardless of what you do to increase your hp. I could not be happier with my choice of Banks.

Well, my 2005 LJ has more like 147,000 miles on it but compression is good and it runs fine. All hoses, belts, OPDA, radiator, and anything else easy to replace has been replaced (thanks to my son-in-law). I don't know if extra power will over stress this old motor but I am willing to chance it.

Well, my 2005 LJ has more like 147,000 miles on it but compression is good and it runs fine. All hoses, belts, OPDA, radiator, and anything else easy to replace has been replaced (thanks to my son-in-law). I don't know if extra power will over stress this old motor but I am willing to chance it.
My LJ has 114,000 miles with a Banks Turbo Kit. The kit has been on it for several years and I have not seen any engine problems.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I know this sounds goofy but what does having the turbocharger feel like on these vehicles?

I've had turbochargers and I'm driving a turbocharged diesel truck so I understand the boost I just want to have some idea of how much more power it feels like.

@Ron Hockett Nice Jeep! What exhaust are you running with the turbo? Did you get the inter-cooled option? Im also wondering if anybody has ever seen the Banks kit go on sale at any time during the year?

Thanks all!

I am using Banks Monster Exhaust, I installed it the same time as the turbo. Yes, I have the intercooler. It adds well over 30 horsepower over the turbo only option. I have not seen Banks discount any of their Sidewinder turbochargers in the year that I researched it or the 3 years that I owned it.

I know this sounds goofy but what does having the turbocharger feel like on these vehicles?

I've had turbochargers and I'm driving a turbocharged diesel truck so I understand the boost I just want to have some idea of how much more power it feels like.

It depends on how you drive it, if you put your foot to the floor it will launch you. If you accelerate normally it will not. It works great Off Road. I have a Dodge Turbo Diesel as well.

Reactions: KCNoDots and AndyG
Thanks! I wondered how it performed with the 3.73 gears and 33s. Do you have a 5-speed? I am currently on 35s, 3.73s, 5-speed, and its honestly not terrible, but i know it could be a lot better!

I’m running 33s, 3.73s, automatic. It fly’s on the highway and goes great off road. I am upgrading to 35s, I will then change gearing.

Reactions: KCNoDots and AndyG

I would give Banks a call, they are really helpful and friendly. They spent a LONG time on the phone with me answering my questions, when I asked a question they couldn’t answer they transferred me to an engineer who did answer it so I understood it. Their custom service sold me on their product, now that I’ve had it for 3 years I could not be happier.

I’m running 33s, 3.73s, automatic. It fly’s on the highway and goes great off road. I am upgrading to 35s, I will then change gearing.
Like Ron I have the turbo kit with intercooler, Banks header, Banks exhaust and deleted cats. I run 35's with a 4.10. with an automatic. Get same milage as my wife's TJ but with way more power when I need it.

Banks has beed super healthful and when recently I had to replace the PCM with one from ECM to GO that didn't have a program that the Banks supplied tuner recognized they had Diablo write me a special tune and emailed it to me all in the same day. Don't know where you could find a better outfit than Banks.