Baofeng UV-5 RAM mount for $15

Very nice! Definitely let us know what you think.
I remember struggling to find an off-the-shelf mount that would work in our TJs. I ended just making my own.

On another topic, is anyone actually using the handheld mic that comes with these radios? Obviously the mic connection port is designed to have the radio lower than the mic, like you would wear on your body (radio on your belt, mic up closer to you ear). The cord tends to pull itself out when I keep the mic mounted below the radio which renders it useless. Kinda frustrating.

Reactions: Ephry73
I remember struggling to find an off-the-shelf mount that would work in our TJs. I ended just making my own.

On another topic, is anyone actually using the handheld mic that comes with these radios? Obviously the mic connection port is designed to have the radio lower than the mic, like you would wear on your body (radio on your belt, mic up closer to you ear). The cord tends to pull itself out when I keep the mic mounted below the radio which renders it useless. Kinda frustrating.
I can't say I've had that problem with my uv-5r. I think the mic is a personal preference.

So, I actually bought it 3 days ago... just got a tracking number and it shows originating from Lakeside, CA and is due to arrive tomorrow.

on my FT60, I put a blue rubber band from the produce dept. around the radio holding the mic plug in place...it's mounted a dash height...seems to work

Reactions: SvtLdr
That's not bad! I wonder if a purple or green rubber band would work ok too?

• Haha
Reactions: L J

I run the microphone cord up over the radio, and drape it to the left of the mount arm that I use. Haven’t had a problem since doing that. I use the Radiodity mic but it’s the same design with the same problem.

My big problem with the UV5r is being able to hear over the sound of my Jeep. Whether using the radio or the speaker mic as sound output, I just can’t understand what other people are saying if I’m not idling.

Reactions: SvtLdr
This thread got me thinking...dangerous for sure, but sometimes it works out. It just so happens that my wife got me a 3D printer for Christmas. I got on Thingiverse, a clearinghouse for 3D print ideas and files, and found about a dozen different mounts for the UV5R. I went with one that uses GoPro's mounting system.

20210324_070857.jpg

20210324_070827.jpg

I bought the $5 mic and really like it. I bought a small velcro/military style bag that I attached to the grab handle. I put the radio in there and then clip the mic on the outside of the bag.

Reactions: Sancho
The "Etsy" mount arrived today in a small, well packaged box. I had a female RAM ball adapter so I picked up a 1/4-20 automotive stud and mounted the assembly to my windshield bar. The radio is held in place firmly by use of the belt clip snapping into a small detent printed into the plastic. Seems it will work well.

20210324_193011_resized.jpg

20210324_193021_resized.jpg