Barlow Trail (Road)

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Finally got around to running the Barlow Trail.
20190817_164205.jpg

Started out in The Dalles after cruising up Hwy 14 on the Washington side. Crossed the Columbia just below The Dalles dam.
20190818_135317.jpg

Didn't realize that the Barlow Trail actually doesn't start until south west of Tygh Valley. There was an existing wagon road from The Dalles to Tygh Valley in 1846.

Last edited:
There are places where the existing road doesn't actually follow the Barlow Trail. We camped for the night above Wamic. The next morning, when I wandered off to take a bio-break, I stumbled onto a well preserved section of the original trail about 50 yards south of the current road. It went for at least a half mile through the woods towards Wamic. The form of a wagon trail is much different than a Jeep trail. It looks strainge until you get that mental flash "horses and skinny wagon wheels! Of course!".
No pictures though.

20190818_144225.jpg

This is a pretty representative section of trail. A stock TJ on stock tires can do this with no issues. A Subaru? Maybe not so much.

20190818_144234.jpg

It's really cool to see the vegitation change as you travel the trail. Started out on high desert prairie and ended up in high Cascade forest.

20190818_144823.jpg

Last edited:
20190818_150654.jpg

Immigrant Springs. The spring box is about 100 yards North of the trail.

20190818_144842.jpg

The trail at Immigrant Springs. It's a climb up to that point. I couldn't imagine doing that with a wagon and team. There's a very small meadow just north of the trail that was used to overnight back in the day.

20190818_150313.jpg

Can't get away from political correctness any more. Even in the backwoods.

Last edited:
20190818_173650.jpg

White River bottoms. Miles and acres of sand. Who'd a' thunk?

20190818_173920.jpg

The sign at the other end.

There's more Barlow trail, but the upper bridge is gone. You have to come in from Hell's Half-acre and drop down to the White River from there. We ran out of time, so that's for another day.

Last edited:
Looks like a fun time. That trusty little SE takes you just about anywhere, huh?

Reactions: StG58
Looks like a fun time. That trusty little SE takes you just about anywhere, huh?
Yup. It's gone everywhere it's been pointed, so far. Totally reliable too. Never give it a second thought...just point and shoot. We got an average of 17.5 mpg this trip.

It's time for some protective upgrades though. The Barlow Trail wasn't a big deal, but some of the side trips poking our nose into interesting places got a little sketchy. The wife is learning, but she did get into the skid plate a couple of times.

Reactions: Chris
Yup. It's gone everywhere it's been pointed, so far. Totally reliable too. Never give it a second thought...just point and shoot. We got an average of 17.5 mpg this trip.

It's time for some protective upgrades though. The Barlow Trail wasn't a big deal, but some of the side trips poking our nose into interesting places got a little sketchy. The wife is learning, but she did get into the skid plate a couple of times.

Well, it doesn't help that that damn skid plate hangs as low as it does, and has an edge that can catch on just about anything.

Still, I wish I had done more of this. Just keeping the TJ mostly stock with a very mild lift and some 31" tires. Then using it as much as I could until I actually got to the point where I felt I absolutely needed to do __________ modification.

In hindsight, that would have been the smart way to go about.

Reactions: StG58
Well, it doesn't help that that damn skid plate hangs as low as it does, and has an edge that can catch on just about anything.

Still, I wish I had done more of this. Just keeping the TJ mostly stock with a very mild lift and some 31" tires. Then using it as much as I could until I actually got to the point where I felt I absolutely needed to do __________ modification.

In hindsight, that would have been the smart way to go about.
Lol, right!? The SE is telling me it needs more protection. Down in the Steens it was front lower control arm skids, lately it's been rocker guards and a belly skid. Haven't done any of them yet. Still don't have a winch. All of that will eventually bite me in the ass. Maybe.

Reactions: Chris