Barnes 4x4 Low Profile Bumper

You build for what you want the Jeep to do. Mine needs a minimal bumper and it needs corners for reasons beyond the lack of bumper protection. And the spare will eventually go into the bed for reasons other than it's exposure hanging of the rear. Regardless, any bumper enormous enough to protect the spare tire is too enormous if a bumper.

The only reasonable way I am aware of to protect the tailgate with the spare on it is airing down the spare?

The only reasonable way I am aware of to protect the tailgate with the spare on it is airing down the spare?

In my case, the only time I'm dragging the spare tire is going into a very steep climb out dropping off of a tall steep ledge. These are typically slow calculated events where I'm more annoyed that the tire is in the way than concerned about damage that is not likely to happen.

I thought I would chime in as I was there when you dragged your existing bumper over that ledge Saturday. The minimalist bumpers are light and have a great departure angle, however you are leaving that large 35" spare tire very exposed. Taking direct hits to the tire rather than the bumper deflecting some of the impacts is going to take a toll on your tailgate. There are lots of ways to skin that cat. Protection (tub corners, spare tire, gate) vs. weight vs. price vs. moving the spare to the interior. Most of the aluminum bumper I have looked at are over 40lbs. so there's that. If I was to go that route maybe something like this from RuffStuff https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/R2506-A . Just my 2 cents.

That was the new bumper I was talking about. I like the wrap around protection but it doesn't have enough fasteners on the rear crossmember than most other recommended bumpers on the market.

Ruff stuff front bumper doesn't look too bad though. Bolts to both sway bar bolts but is steel. Have to trim for the steering box which annoying.

Maybe I am just overthinking this. I mean I had never got hung up on my bumper before which lead to the spare tire getting hit as well. I just don’t want to do it again (or at least lower the likelihood.)

Well nuts. While I could bitch that customers shouldn't have to do that, at least they're still making the stuff, albeit apparently not their bumper brace. Still, I bet if you asked...

Was the bumper brace their tie ins? Those are available as an option with the bumper so you'd have to call if that's what you want.

Was the bumper brace their tie ins? Those are available as an option with the bumper so you'd have to call if that's what you want.

Yes. I have a set, they used to be listed on their website as a separate item. Best ones made as far as I'm concerned.

00.jpg

Reactions: Apparition
I have that bumper. Looks nice and is light but above concern about lack of corner protection is valid and I'll add that its not too beefy (3/16" steel). The receiver is not tow rated and I wouldn't use for that. The D-ring mounts are only welded on the outside. They do go through and I welded mine on the inside as well but the structure is light enough that I would still be corned about damage with a hard pull.
c33efedb-5d63-41d3-9ea4-db1711510f16-jpeg.362367

They also come with company logo laser cut into the driver side, so I had to weld that closed before powder coating.
View attachment 398641

This looks great.. Love your Jeep.

I just bought the one without the receiver. My plan is to tow a small camp trailer and the bumpers' receiver isn't tow rated. so I'll be adding a tow hitch at some point. The corner logo doesn't bother me. And, since I see only outer beach, dirt and fire roads the exposed corners don't worry me either. I've been running the sock number with jugs removed so corners are exposed anyway.

Still deciding on finish. Love the look of powder coating, but if it gets dinged the whole bumper will need to be stripped to repair it so.. I am thinking Eastwood Ceramic finish might be better.