Basic control arm installation questions

Rick2004LJ

TJ Enthusiast
Weekend project is installing new Savvy Double Adjustable aluminum control arms all around - think I have install generally figured out with 1 exception.

I will be doing this in drive way with Jacks and jack stands, no lift. As I do one at a time - How do I setup jack and jack stands? Get frame up on jack stands, pull tire, and just support axel at level it is hanging and remove 1 arm at a time?

Any basic install advice, hacks, tricks appreciated.

2004 LJ - 4 1/2" lift, current control arms a combo of stock and aftermarket adjustable.

TIA

I wouldn't do the arms on jack stands. Just keep the jam nuts loose while you pull one arm to replace it at a time. You might need a jack to lift the pinion (but I usually don't).

Then you'll need to get the pinion angles all set before tightening the jam nuts. To do that use a small prybar/big flat head to move both joints to the side they would naturally go during tightening and tighten each jam nut a little bit a time.

Last edited:
You can install the control arms with the tires on, it's a lot safer that way. I use jack stands under the frame as a last resort, I do use some ramps to get it up off the ground sometimes but the jeep frame really doesn't have a sweet spot for jack stands. Under the axel is a different story.

So i can do the install with jeep sitting on the ground? like the idea of ramps to get a little more room to work - does that put pressure on anything and push out of alignment?

I'd support the Jeep with a set of 6 ton jack stands placed under the axles. That keeps the arms at their normal angles and makes setting their lengths easier. 3 ton jack stands are strong enough but they're not tall enough for a Wrangler.

like the idea of ramps to get a little more room to work - does that put pressure on anything and push out of alignment?
That should have nearly the same pressure as sitting on the street, the natural pressure will be for the pinion to want to drop.