Basic recovery gear kit?

Daron

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have looked around the forum, and see alot of items that people keep in their jeep for recovering vehicles. Im new to the Jeep scene, and would like to have the advice from experienced members. What are the basic recovery tools that you would purchase to keep in your Jeep with a front mounted winch?

Thank you.

I bought the old Warn recovery kit that came in a red bag years ago when starting out, it was a good kit IMO, however, I dont like their kits now... the treesavers they use have the stupid metal ends on them (multiple connections when one will do)

If I was buying a kit today I would likely go with the TRE kit https://tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/product/jeep-recovery-gear-kit/ and add a snatch block.

I had a red warn bag as well. Fairly ok kit but a lot of heavy steel in there.

I would get a winch setup from TRE that includes two or three soft shackles, a snatch block, a tree saver, and a strap. That is basically all you will ever need to winch yourself off a tree. You may want to buy a warn steel shackle in case you need to attach to another vehicle. Many recovery points will not accept a soft shackle.

I carried a snatch rope in the TJ for years. I just threw it away this past week since it takes up space and I've never used it a single time. Unless you are out in the mud or sand a lot, I don't think the snatch straps are all that useful.

First thing on the list for most everyone should be a shovel. A real one, not an entrenching tool. I carry both but the entenching tool is for handing to a passenger or mouthy spectator. :)

• Love
Reactions: WSS
Just for the winch I carry gloves, a few shackles and a tree strap along with the winch controller. I have steel rope so I also carry wire rope clips. For general recovery a kinetic strap or whatever type you can afford and a way to attach it is a good idea along with a shovel. A kinetic strap and two soft shackles with some gloves is a great combination to throw in a bag as a minimum although you can't really use that strap with a winch. I wheel with the same few guys all the time so each of us has a different type of strap so we have options but nobody is totally without. I don't carry my block unless I'm doing something very difficult or very remote. I personally would pick and choose each individual piece and avoid kits. High quality duffel bags are cheap at second hand stores.

Reactions: Ephry73 and Daron
I carry more than I need but the minimum winch accessory kit should be gloves, 1 steel shackle and a tree saver.
For recovery with another vehicle involved I have a 30’ ARB snatch strap and a 20’ strap.

Years ago I had a 20’ strap the a buddy hooked up my 20’ to a stock TJ front hook and double backed to my Jeep. He didn’t have the strap hooked properly and the TJ hook poked a big hole dead center of the strap. I cut the strap in half and had loops sewn on the cut end thus giving me a couple of 9-1/2’ straps
I probably used those short straps for 90% of the recovery tugs.

I appreciate all the info.

So far, I have the following items in a duffel bag.

4 shackles
Tree saver strap
First aid kit
2 pair of gloves
Flashlight
Basic tool kit

Is there a certain snatch strap that is recommended?

Mine has been more or less the same for several years.

Winch with 80ft of synthetic rope and Safety Thimble
4- soft shackles
2- 8ft straps
1- 30ft recovery rope
1- snatch block
1- Bottle jack
1- 10x10 double thick square of plywood
2- 4x4x12 wood blocks

Reactions: Daron
4 shackles
Tree saver strap
First aid kit
2 pair of gloves
Flashlight
Basic tool kit
I would add a few blocks of wood for your bottle jack (I use 2"x8")
In addition to your recovery gear and tools, consider mounting a fire extinguisher. It's not only to protect your rig, but you don't want to be responsible for starting a forest fire.

Reactions: L J and Daron
I have an ARB bag with gloves, 4 shackles (2 different sizes because my factor55 winch hook accepts a different size than my bumper 😒), 2 snatch blocks, a tree saver, a 30' tow strap and a kinetic recovery strap.

I do need to get a shovel.

My recovery bag is just some craftsman tool bag. In it is
Winch remote
Viking winch line snatch block
Masterpull line repair kit
Gloves
Tree strap
Snatch strap
Couple shackles
It’s a pretty small bag and I know wheee everything is in it

My recovery bag is just some craftsman tool bag. In it is
Winch remote
Viking winch line snatch block
Masterpull line repair kit
Gloves
Tree strap
Snatch strap
Couple shackles
It’s a pretty small bag and I know wheee everything is in it

Something I try to do with my kit on a trail is to make sure the winch remote, soft shackle and a strap are within easy reach from the driver's seat. There have been more than a few times recently where I have gotten myself in a predicament where I am standing on the brake needing to get tied up with people running around gathering equipment. It's much easier and safer being able to quickly get the Jeep under control by handing over what is needed to set up the winch or a strap to a helper.

Reactions: Vasq and pagrey
Something I try to do with my kit on a trail is to make sure the winch remote, soft shackle and a strap are within easy reach from the driver's seat. There have been more than a few times recently where I have gotten myself in a predicament where I am standing on the brake needing to get tied up with people running around gathering equipment. It's much easier and safer being able to quickly get the Jeep under control by handing over what is needed to set up the winch or a strap to a helper.
Mine is easy to get to, on the top in the bag between the front seats(no center council anymore)

Reactions: jjvw