Basket's Build

And never let anyone borrow it!

Perks of living almost 2 hours away from most of your friends, it'd be easier to rent a uhaul :LOL:

Nice! You'll probably sink as much money into getting it road worthy as buying new, but it will be a fun project!

You think?? I was thinking it'd end up being way cheaper... The only things that really are gonna cost much is the wheel and tires (has 2 good ones already) and ramps. Although wouldn't be the first, or second, time I've grossly underestimated hahaha.

Now you can sell all the flat tow stuff and buy straps.

I don't plan on trying to have it ready by Moab really. I will need to go through the homebuilt trailer title process and such I think. But that is the plan after

Perks of living almost 2 hours away from most of your friends, it'd be easier to rent a uhaul :LOL:

You think?? I was thinking it'd end up being way cheaper... The only things that really are gonna cost much is the wheel and tires (has 2 good ones already) and ramps. Although wouldn't be the first, or second, time I've grossly underestimated hahaha.

I don't plan on trying to have it ready by Moab really. I will need to go through the homebuilt trailer title process and such I think. But that is the plan after

I dunno, really. I just know when I pick up a project like that, I go way overboard and spend way more than I should

I have a hard time believing that someone would really scrap a trailer than just needed tires and some lights.

I dunno, really. I just know when I pick up a project like that, I go way overboard and spend way more than I should
Yeah we'll see! It is homebuilt it isn't something they went and bought... He picked it up from them loaded with scrap and junk on it.
I have a hard time believing that someone would really scrap a trailer than just needed tires and some lights.

Yeah, I'm always surprised by the stuff the rich people in Castle Rock give away as scrap. He's gotten multiple running vehicles WITH TITLES. These rich people just dump vehicles worth like 2-5k at his lot for free and give him the title, it's insane. Like an XJ, jeep liberty, a Chevy panel van with a 454 swap... It's wild lol

Forsure. Besides repacking bearings, checking brakes, and rewiring, what else might I be missing? I guess get under it and look for any fractures in the frame?

Frame, axles, leaf springs, and tongue would be my top items for a used trailer.

Everything else like you mentioned is fairly easy.

Frame, axles, leaf springs, and tongue would be my top items for a used trailer.

Everything else like you mentioned is fairly easy.

Okay sweet, yeah good point I should definitely make sure it is not straight broken somewhere. On the bright side, it didn't fall apart under its own weight on my 80mi drive home haha

Especially if you are planning on using it long distance i would add a spare tire mount and a spare. A greased bearing set(or two!) In a ziplock bag are also a great idea

• USA Proud
Reactions: lBasket
Especially if you are planning on using it long distance i would add a spare tire mount and a spare. A greased bearing set(or two!) In a ziplock bag are also a great idea

Good call. 2 wheels and 3 tires it is then. I've seen people mention "bearing buddies" is that something you'd recommend or does the extra bearings cover the same thing?

Reactions: reddvltj
IMG_20240515_094416.jpg
IMG_20240515_094456.jpg
IMG_20240515_094438.jpg

IMG_20240515_094406.jpg

Extra bearings cover roadside damage. Bearing buddy is just a dust cap with a zerk if i remember right. Handy for boat trailers with no brakes. Not good for braking axles,they tend to toss grease out the seal

Extra bearings cover roadside damage. Bearing buddy is just a dust cap with a zerk if i remember right. Handy for boat trailers with no brakes. Not good for braking axles,they tend to toss grease out the seal

Sweet, good to know. Didn't know much about them just seen people talking about them. Thank you

Reactions: Wildman
For $200 and lunch I would have bought it too, but that looks to be a landscaping/utility trailer and your TJ will likely be too heavy for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband
Huh, how do you figure? I thought landscape trailers were around 8' long and single axle

Sorry--not landscape but utility. I could be wrong because its "homemade" but to me the cross bracing on the deck doesn't look very thick and the leaf springs look thin.

Some can be a tandem axle. I could be wrong because its "homemade" but to me the cross bracing on the deck doesn't look very thick and the leaf springs look thin.

I can take a pic underneath it today... I can always reinforce it and get new leafs if I must, right?