Basket's Build

To polish, I'd start with a green scouring pad and go to town. Get all the debris, grime, etc off and clean with a wet rag. Then I'd start with a fine sandpaper like 320-360 and go over each wheel. Then step up to a finer grit like 400, repeat. Step up again to 600, repeat. Step up to 1000, repeat. Step up 1500, repeat. Step up 2000. I've never polished anything simply because of the time and effort. I'd expect 4-6 hours per wheel.

You think there are compounds I should use or do you wet sand at a certain point?

4-6 HOURS isn't gonna be worth it lol. Hopefully that's assuming by hand? Damn at that point I might check out harbor freight for a cheap polishing kit for my angle grinder or something lol. Then if I end up giving up I don't feel so bad

You think there are compounds I should use or do you wet sand at a certain point?

4-6 HOURS isn't gonna be worth it lol. Hopefully that's assuming by hand? Damn at that point I might check out harbor freight for a cheap polishing kit for my angle grinder or something lol. Then if I end up giving up I don't feel so bad

I'd definitely soak the sandpaper in water with each step. Then when you're complete with your 1500-2000 process, polish it with a compound like mothers.

If you have a tool like an angle grinder or orbital sander I am sure the process would be a little faster.

Reactions: lBasket
I haven't cleaned the interior in forever it feels like. The cupholder area was getting nasty. Cleans up pretty nice still, minus the carpet.
PXL_20230210_225443317.jpg

received_915142202854478.jpeg

I noticed the passenger airbag while cleaning, I really ought to disable that so it doesn't explode onto my dog. Is there an easy/safe way to do that? I'm nervous to "fuck around and find out" with an airbag lol. I might remove the passenger grab handle too if I can, Atlas doesn't use it very often.

Anyways I cleaned it cos I'm going to a car meet tomorrow and didn't want to show up in the dadmobile lol. It's an mr2 owners group so we'll see if anyone is interested in it haha.

I finally decided to go after some of the weirdness with the lights in my jeep.

Passenger headlight would flash with the blinker at super speed. Read something about the ground and it was just hanging off
PXL_20230211_165906611.jpg

Tapped the hole for a bolt I had laying around and fixed.

I centered my steering wheel finally, hoping it would fix my lack of auto-shutoff of my turn signals like someone suggested earlier. Did not fix that one.

I also have them led reverse lights from I think it's @jscherb and haha I posted a pic earlier with one working then when I installed the second they both didn't work. Well today I finally found out why, blown fuse take off a cover and:
PXL_20230211_172227531.MP.jpg

Can see where it cut and shorted. Way to go me, should be an easy fix later today

Okay so I've been waiting for it to be official, but finally I've moved! I moved to Florissant, it's gonna be a lot different but I'm so stoked to be out of the frickin ghetto lol. Really seems like a good balance of mountains and not being too remote.

I closed and moved today, so I don't have a huge amount of pictures.

PXL_20230413_011551649.jpg
heres my disaster moving in right now.

PXL_20230324_202058658.jpg

I live a few miles south of florissant, putting me very close to the gulches. Should be fun this season!

I'll have to meet more of the springs crowd too

Congratulations on the new place. Does it have a garage for you to work on stuff? Looks like a really nice place BTW.

Reactions: lBasket
Congratulations on the new place. Does it have a garage for you to work on stuff? Looks like a really nice place BTW.

There is this nice parking area
PXL_20230413_124249551.jpg

And then a carport
PXL_20230413_124309989.jpg

Choices with a garage that weren't trailer homes were a bit slimmer than I originally expected, so I figured this will get me by until I build a real garage. The lot is 2acres so there is space when I get there!

Okay so I've been waiting for it to be official, but finally I've moved! I moved to Florissant, it's gonna be a lot different but I'm so stoked to be out of the frickin ghetto lol. Really seems like a good balance of mountains and not being too remote.

I closed and moved today, so I don't have a huge amount of pictures.

View attachment 415885heres my disaster moving in right now.

View attachment 415886

I live a few miles south of florissant, putting me very close to the gulches. Should be fun this season!

I'll have to meet more of the springs crowd too

Congratulations!

Reactions: lBasket and Wildman
The views look great. I miss living out of town on a small property. I love that living area. Room to build a garage will be priceless. Congratulations!

Reactions: lBasket and Wildman
Well looks like it's time to work on the jeep again.

I've been driving the piss out of it lately with moving, since my VW is still in the shop. They haven't even finished getting a quote to my fucking insurance, got hit in November. Still waiting to see how bad the frame damage is.

Anyways. Jeep started overheating yesterday, popped the hood and I've got coolant in reservoir. Overflow to rad tube has popped off at some point. I reconnected it and it was keeping good temp in motion, but heating up at idle.

Water pump is new (2-4k) coolant system flushed a year or two ago (probably 5-7k miles). I'm hoping it just sucked in air and I can bleed it and be good. Otherwise I saw some posts about drilling a hole in the tstat, might try that if I have a gasket laying around.

It's almost sad... Look how long it's been since I've needed to do something to do this thing while beating on it off-road and up and down the mountains lol. It was a good, reliable run

Definitely start with the thermostat. That's cheap and easy. I'd also look at the fan clutch

Definitely start with the thermostat. That's cheap and easy. I'd also look at the fan clutch

Tstat was also replaced fairly recently, fan is definitely spinning/quiet. Oh the rad cap is also newish. I've only had the jeep for like 14k miles or so total so anything I've replaced is still fairly new

For a bit there the heat wasn't coming out hot either while I tried to cool it down in traffic. My first thought was stuck Tstat but then the heat came back. Thinking that also points to air bubbles

I'm about to try my extremely high tech tried and true bleeding method of squeezing the upper rad tube with the rad cap off