Basket's Build

* not drawn to scale

I do need to find out if I can actually sleep in a hammock first

That would be a GOOD idea. I've slept in them a few times and it's been a hit & miss thing for me. But these were military type ones that were small and you hung between two trees or rigs.

Reactions: lBasket
That would be a GOOD idea. I've slept in them a few times and it's been a hit & miss thing for me. But these were military type ones that were small and you hung between two trees or rigs.

I think I'm going to borrow my friends stand and put it in my dang living room lol.

I know there are a LOT of nice bougie hammocks out there thanks to the new era of hippy trustafarians. My brother hangs out with a lot of them

Reactions: Wildman
Love the idea, can't find any that are big enough for me and my dog and are still made for overnights. All the bigger ones that are still sold all appear to be made for day-trips essentially. I need it for some colorado camping

This is the one we throw in the wife’s JKU.

6445C4C5-A514-4412-BD84-7C4FF59D84FC.jpeg

And there was the experimental version 😂

4492F3D3-DC0A-4EF4-9B6F-563977AC0294.jpeg

38EF36E1-E7B3-4E68-9A6E-D85CB3902B36.jpeg

This is the one we throw in the wife’s JKU.

View attachment 392855
And there was the experimental version 😂

View attachment 392856

View attachment 392857

I think that kamp-rite is the ones I'm thinking of. A friend went camping with that 1-person cot/bivvy you first sent and I loved it. Really wanted one but seems like the kamp-rite a lot of reviews say it has problems with leaks/drafts where the mattress and tent meet? How do you like ity? How cold/what kind of weather have you camped in it? Hows it fit in the TJ?

The RTT to me just seems like too much weight too high - I try to avoid putting anything on the roof at all if I can, normally. Doing too many tippy things

Reactions: DrDmoney
I think that kamp-rite is the ones I'm thinking of. A friend went camping with that 1-person cot/bivvy you first sent and I loved it. Really wanted one but seems like the kamp-rite a lot of reviews say it has problems with leaks/drafts where the mattress and tent meet? How do you like ity? How cold/what kind of weather have you camped in it? Hows it fit in the TJ?

The RTT to me just seems like too much weight too high - I try to avoid putting anything on the roof at all if I can, normally. Doing too many tippy things

I mounted the single person one to the top of the TJ for a Rubicon trip that required some camping in really cold weather. It was fine the two person one is a lot like an easy-up but shorter and it fits in the back of the JKU without issue, never tried putting it in the TJ but it should fit between the sides just not between the wheel wells with no rear seat the double wide would fit folded up pointing north south no problem.

I mounted the single person one to the top of the TJ for a Rubicon trip that required some camping in really cold weather. It was fine the two person one is a lot like an easy-up but shorter and it fits in the back of the JKU without issue, never tried putting it in the TJ but it should fit between the sides just not between the wheel wells with no rear seat the double wide fit pointing north south no problem.

They seem to have more options than I remember the last time I looked. They have an extended 1-person, and then the "compact tent" and XL version of that that would probably be a more appropriate size for me + dog. I need to measure him when he's asleep I guess

They seem to have more options than I remember the last time I looked. They have an extended 1-person, and then the "compact tent" and XL version of that that would probably be a more appropriate size for me + dog. I need to measure him when he's asleep I guess

We use to camp a lot in the winter and spring and a ground tent just didn’t work for us, that’s an XL on the TJ

0F12143D-1688-44C4-B240-ADD8C2C8C536.jpeg

A7ED5702-7FD8-44C8-B97D-E7B98369B165.jpeg

Reactions: Irun and lBasket
We use to camp a lot in the winter and spring and a ground tent just didn’t work for us, that’s an XL on the TJ

View attachment 392874

View attachment 392875

Doesn't look like they're advertised for RTT, how do you mount it? Just strapped down?

I'll have to look again if you're saying they cut it for cold weather. Looks convenient. Seems like they're out of stock on most of their tents on their website though

Doesn't look like they're advertised for RTT, how do you mount it? Just strapped down?

I'll have to look again if you're saying they cut it for cold weather. Looks convenient. Seems like they're out of stock on most of their tents on their website though

That was the experimental part I mentioned …but it worked.

So is that the XL single one? Or something else? Looks like they have in ascending size order:

single
single oversize
Compact Tent Cot CTC
CTC XL
CTC Double

very confusingly named lol

Wow, the price sure has gone up on them. Mine is the oversize.

• Sad

I removed all the legs and mounted the two center legs to channels that were attached to the roll cage. The other two legs are really to keep the cot from tipping which it doesn’t do with the center ones hard mounted.
855A3FB7-8756-4BBB-A98F-55AEEA2299A7.jpeg

36686B64-82C1-4F20-8A07-2062B6E94B64.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Irun and lBasket
I removed all the legs and mounted the two center legs to channels that were attached to the roll cage. The other two legs are really to keep the cot from tipping which it doesn’t do with the center ones hard mounted.
View attachment 392879

View attachment 392880

Yup, everything is expensive nowadays!

This is cool, seems like a good idea. Maybe I'll play around with trying that one day. This might be the move, really

It's not jeep focused, but the jeep is guest starring...

Such a sketchy way to lift a vehicle lol. Better down than up, I always say...
PXL_20230208_022244220.jpg

Guest starring the jeep, pulling out the drivetrain.
PXL_20230208_024024894.jpg
Oh hey, you can see the new motor peeking around on the left.

Hopefully I can get this swap finished ASAP. I'm starting to get itchy about working on the jeep again.

To polish, I'd start with a green scouring pad and go to town. Get all the debris, grime, etc off and clean with a wet rag. Then I'd start with a fine sandpaper like 320-360 and go over each wheel. Then step up to a finer grit like 400, repeat. Step up again to 600, repeat. Step up to 1000, repeat. Step up 1500, repeat. Step up 2000. I've never polished anything simply because of the time and effort. I'd expect 4-6 hours per wheel.