Battery of Choice?

Agree with the above. Stick with quality AGM batteries.

I use NorthStar batteries. They're a very high quality battery commonly used in high demand applications.

Stock size is a Group 34. A Group 24 is about 15% larger capacity and will fit with little or no modifications. It is the exact same shape and size except 1" taller than a Group 34.

If you have the wedge style battery hold down, no modifications are needed for a Group 24. (If you have the clamp style hold down, it will need to be extended.)

This is the specific Group 24 battery I use:
https://www.northstarbattery.com/product/nsb-agm24m
I prefer the "Marine" designated ones because they come with an extra set of terminals which make it very easy to hook up a winch cable or other large cable.
I have a Northstar too but with the aux front connectors for the winch cables since it keeps them down out of the way.

Northstar Battery.JPG

I have an optima and contrary to common opinion here it hasn't given me issue. I've just passed the 2 year mark so maybe I'll be eating my words. But I changed the alternator about a month after my old battery died.

It held up for a 100 mile trip keeping my headlights and engine running when my alternator died. And still got me started and to the parts store the next day.

I have an optima and contrary to common opinion here it hasn't given me issue. I've just passed the 2 year mark so maybe I'll be eating my words.
Probably. I had three Optima batteries that failed prematurely at the 2-3 year mark. The last non-Optima battery that failed me was my Sears Diehard Platinum made by Odyssey, it finally failed just after ten years.

Doesn’t look like that’s available in the 24 size
The one Jerry linked is actually a Group 34/78 combination. A Group 34 and a Group 78 are the same size, but one has terminals on the top and the other on the side. Group 24 only comes in top terminals.

If you don't have A/C you may be able to fit a Group 65, but I don't think they offer it with side terminals either.

Reactions: Apparition
I'd go for nearly any AGM type battery with the exception of Optima. Higher CCA is good for your winters.

Whats wrong with OPTIMA ? I have a yellow top optima in my 68 Vette which sits all winter & starts right up in the spring. It had a 4 yr warranty & last year in its 3rd year it was replaced no charge & no questions either.
My previous lasted over 10 yrs with NO issues. Have Optima Blue x 2 in my Donzi & no issues there either. Was told Optima is great for long resting periods with no start or vehicles with big draw stereos / lights / etc ? Auto craft GOLD is in the Jeep. Seems ok / not really familiar with that battery its what was in there when I bought it from PO.

Last edited:
Whats wrong with OPTIMA ?
Probably better phrased as 'what happened to Optima'? That was a great battery company until they were purchased by Johnson Controls who immediately transferred their entire manufacturing operation to Mexico. That's when they cheapened the manufacturing process including switching from pure lead to a lead alloy. So many failures after that that even Costco stopped carrying them due to all the returns under warranty. And they were probably Optima's biggest retailer. Personally, I had two Yellow Tops and one Blue Top (same internally as the Yellow Top) in a row die premature deaths.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Probably better phrased as 'what happened to Optima'? That was a great battery company until they were purchased by Johnson Controls who immediately transferred their entire manufacturing operation to Mexico. That's when they cheapened the manufacturing process including switching from pure lead to a lead alloy. So many failures after that that even Costco stopped carrying them due to all the returns under warranty. And they were probably Optima's biggest retailer. Personally, I had two Yellow Tops and one Blue Top (same internally as the Yellow Top) in a row die premature deaths.

Makes sense based on the fact the first one lasted over 10 years & the 2nd only 3 & replaced under warr.
Whats the deal with AUTO CRAFT GOLD thats in my Jeep ?

When I had my '98 XJ 4.0L I purchased an Optima 34 series around 2000 that lasted for more than 8 years and since I had such good luck with the 1st one I purchased another, but this one only lasted about 2 years as others have responded. I went thru a couple other Optimas in the next two years before purchasing the Sears Diehard Gold. Unfortunately those batteries are not available any more.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
As an update, Odyssey and Northstar are now the same company.

Odyssey now sells relabeled Northstar batteries as their Extreme series, and their old line is sold as a more budget-minded Performance series.

The Northstar AGM or Odyssey Extreme are the same and the best on the market. Northstar also makes a few private label brands. I believe Canadian Tire has a couple of rebranded Northstar batteries available.

Note how literally everything is the same except the label:
https://www.northstarbattery.com/product/nsb-agm24mhttps://www.odysseybattery.com/products/odx-agm24m-battery-nsb-agm24m/https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...treme-agm-group-size-24-battery-0102496p.html
Note I’m not suggesting this is a bad thing. Unlike the fiasco with Optima, I have no reason to believe the performance of the batteries will be degraded. The batteries are still made in the US.

I seem to recall the reason for the acquisition is the parent company of Odyssey was interested in all the extra idle battery production capacity that the parent company of Northstar had in the US.

Also if anyone really needs a true premium battery, lithium-ion batteries are really starting to become available for the consumer automotive market.

Consider this one:
https://www.lithiumion-batteries.co...es/group-24-12v-120ah-lithium-ion-battery.php
It’s a Group 24 just like the Northstar or Odyssey, but has 120Ah of reserve, compared to the 76Ah of the Northstar/Odyssey. It is also far lighter, at just 34 lbs vs 57 lbs. And it should last 20+ years.

The drawback is of course the price tag. I doubt many here are ready to drop 1.4K on a battery.

Also if anyone really needs a true premium battery, lithium-ion batteries are really starting to become available for the consumer automotive market.

Consider this one:
https://www.lithiumion-batteries.co...es/group-24-12v-120ah-lithium-ion-battery.php
It’s a Group 24 just like the Northstar or Odyssey, but has 120Ah of reserve, compared to the 76Ah of the Northstar/Odyssey. It is also far lighter, at just 34 lbs vs 57 lbs. And it should last 20+ years.

The drawback is of course the price tag. I doubt many here are ready to drop 1.4K on a battery.
How does the fire risk compare?

Consider this one:

That had my interest, until I looked at the price. I'm going to have to wait for the $1400 price to come down just a little!

My Optima Red Top is 10 years old. And it’s been in 3 different vehicles and currently in my 4Runner.
A 6 year old Diehard Platinum is in my TJ.

My Optima Red Top is 10 years old. And it’s been in 3 different vehicles and currently in my 4Runner.
optima use to be good, my 2009 red top is still going strong. I think they were bought out in 2013 and that's when they went to shit.

Reactions: alittleoff
I'm still kicking myself in the rear for not keeping a battery tender on my Diehard Platinum. It lasted 7 years and only died because I let it sit uncharged for a long time. :mad: