Battery Replacement

Johnson Controls sold the battery(power solutions) division around this time last year. New company is Clarios I think.

I’ve always bought mid tier battery from advanced or O’reilly.
Unless the new owners move the Optima manufacturing back to the US or instruct the Mexicans to up the quality back up to what it was when they were made in the USA it won't change anything so far as the current abysmal Optima Yellow/Blue/Red Top battery quality goes.

Instruct the Mexicans? A xenophobic and patronizing comment if I ever heard one.

What does the quality of Optima batteries have to do with "Mexicans"? Are you suggesting that Mexicans cannot or will not produce a good product unless instructed?

Johnson Controls (and now the investment group Brookfield Business Partners) has never been "Mexican" any more than Ford, Chevrolet, Ram, Dodge, Nissan, and Volkwagen, all of which manufacture automobiles in Mexico. Corporate decision making for these global companies, including decisions regarding product specifications, manufacturing processes and quality control, often and usually do take place in countries far from where the products are produced - Wisconsin in the case of Optima.

Perhaps its the "cheeseheads" who need to be instructed.

Una persona debe tener cuidado con los comentarios de viejos malhumorados que piensan que lo saben todo.

Instruct the Mexicans? A xenophobic and patronizing comment if I ever heard one.

What does the quality of Optima batteries have to do with "Mexicans"? Are you suggesting that Mexicans cannot or will not produce a good product unless instructed?

Johnson Controls (and now the investment group Brookfield Business Partners) has never been "Mexican" any more than Ford, Chevrolet, Ram, Dodge, Nissan, and Volkwagen, all of which manufacture automobiles in Mexico. Corporate decision making for these global companies, including decisions regarding product specifications, manufacturing processes and quality control, often and usually do take place in countries far from where the products are produced - Wisconsin in the case of Optima.

Perhaps its the "cheeseheads" who need to be instructed.

Una persona debe tener cuidado con los comentarios de viejos malhumorados que piensan que lo saben todo.

This applies for everything these days. I don't care about place of manufacture anymore as long as the product is well designed and well made. I do (and will continue to) support US made items but I agree with you that it's wrong to slam a company just because it makes something overseas. In the case of Optima, it seems to a clear business decision to go after profits and that's why the quality dropped, not because they moved to overseas manufacturing. It might have also easily happened even if they continued production here.

Last edited:
Reactions: reddvltj
I prefer US made and have no issue slamming any company that moved manufacturing out of our country. I am not a cheerleader for other countries labour force. I can't always get US made goods, but I am of a belief America still has the best workers and I support them over their foreign counterparts. As far as I am concerned, I am supporting my neighbor. In some instances the country of origin price difference is utterly ridiculous, but that is often because of confiscatory corporate taxation and regulations. Not necessarily wages.

The quality of Optima went south when the company moved it south. I didn't see any slam about Mexicans, but a slam on the company for using cheaper (recycled) lead instead of pure virgin lead they used when manufactured in usa.
And it's true. Quality of the lead is the quality of the battery.

d897cf52-12db-42c9-9a1e-b5e82af57a9e.png

NSB-AGM24M
NorthStar marine batteries excel at providing high vibration resistance, with the high cranking amps and reserve capacity that watercraft demand.
Capacityup to 76 Ah
Product details

$327.99 USD(10% off)$364.99 USD

Just ordered this one today to replace a Sears DieHard Platinum. I've really enjoyed that battery and wish it was still available. I did the NorthStar because I don't get that many off-road trips a year and when I off-road I'm often alone. I value durability and reliability.

View attachment 125543
NSB-AGM24M
NorthStar marine batteries excel at providing high vibration resistance, with the high cranking amps and reserve capacity that watercraft demand.
Capacityup to 76 Ah
Product details

Just ordered this one today to replace a Sears DieHard Platinum. I've really enjoyed that battery and wish it was still available. I did the NorthStar because I don't get that many off-road trips a year and when I off-road I'm often alone. I value durability and reliability.
Having those marine terminals in addition to the standard posts really helps when you add aftermarket electronics. All the OE stuff goes to the tapered posts, all the aftermarket stuff goes onto the marine terminals

View attachment 125543
NSB-AGM24M
Capacityup to 76 Ah
Product details

I bought that same battery a month ago, it's a very good battery. Pretty much the same thing as an Odyssey.

Reactions: Grant Lasson
View attachment 125543
NSB-AGM24M
Capacityup to 76 Ah
Product details

After 6+ years of service it's looking like I'll have to replace my Diehard Platinum as well. As you said, I wish it was still available. Finding a local dual post option has proven challenging. This may be on my list to order as well!

After 6+ years of service it's looking like I'll have to replace my Diehard Platinum as well. As you said, I wish it was still available. Finding a local dual post option has proven challenging. This may be on my list to order as well!
That's not all that long for the Diehard Platinum, mine took ten years to finally die.

Superstart at Orielly's. Its a Deka brand, AGM size 34. I want to say I paid $190 for it. Has top posts and the front side has a spot for side terminals. 800 CCA. Its been great for me the last 4 years with a winch on for maybe 2 years.

Careful here...Oreilly's is sourcing from multiple vendors. If the battery is from DEKA (or East Penn)...it will have a "made in USA" tag on it. Some of their flooded lead acid batteries are made in Mexico (johnson controls) and some are from East Penn/Deka...have to look at what you're buying.

I got a side terminal mexico Oreilly's battery for my chevy truck and the terminal threads stripped before the cable stopped wiggling...garbage.

I've had excellent results with East Penn/Deka, so usually just buy Deka branded batteries at my local independent parts house...more often than not, they're 10-20% less expensive as well.

Reactions: Blondie70 and JMT
Good to know. I'll have to pop the hood and see if I can find the USA claim.

Regarding country of origin for Interstate Batteries:

Interstate Battery
Updated, March 24, 2019 by contributing editors. "Search America 1st"
Always verify USA Origin

The actual origin of the manufacturing process for Interstate Batteries is vague. The automotive, truck, and marine batteries are made by Johnson Controls which makes 65% of the automotive, truck, and marine batteries sold in the USA. . . From Louisiana to Southern California the Interstate brand batteries are made by a Johnson Controls manufacturing plant in Monterrey, Mexico. In the other states, the batteries are made by Johnson Controls in the United States. . . .

According to Interstate itself,

“We do have some batteries manufactured in Mexico but not all of them. We have several plants located here in the US located in the North, East, South and West. If a battery is manufactured in Mexico it is required by law to have a sticker on the top of it that says “Made in Mexico”. If there is not sticker, it is made in the USA.”

See: https://www.b4usa.com/interstate-battery/

I have a Costco Interstate battery in my jeep and also in my "other" 4x4. According to both Costco and Interstate, it is the same battery sold at Interstate stores. Neither battery is labeled as "Made in Mexico" so if the quoted representations are true one could reasonably presume that my batteries were manufactured in the USA.

I purchased my Costco Interstate batteries in Northern California. I wonder if Costco Interstate batteries purchased "from Louisiana to Southern California" are also manufactured in the USA or whether they are tagged "Made in Mexico"?

That's not all that long for the Diehard Platinum, mine took ten years to finally die.

Agreed. It would have lasted longer if I had not let it die multiple times. Technically it's still holding a charge, but I've noticed it drains much faster now when sitting.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
View attachment 125543
NSB-AGM24M
Capacityup to 76 Ah
Product details

Looking at possibly picking up the same battery, how well did it fit?

Looking at possibly picking up the same battery, how well did it fit?
The 1" taller form factor is an issue. The battery slid right in (so length and width are fine) but the factory battery hold down now pushes into the wiring harness. I'm either going to HF and buy a rubber bungee to hold it down or I will create a new hold down that doesn't have this issue. AGM batteries don't sweat battery acid so I think the bungee will work fine.

In any case, I'm happy with the battery.

20191230_075909.jpg

Reactions: Paranoid057