Battlestations

davew

Any of you into them? Mines for both work and play.
IMG_2008[1].JPG
IMG_2009[1].JPG

I was a Linux guy from around 1993 to 2008. In 2008, I got into modifying OS X so it would run on a PC. I in 2010, I finally bought my first Mac.

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

I’m a terminal monkey and love bash; macOS feels like Linux but with actual big business application support. I have access to pretty much all the same open source software Linux distros have and full command line control... yet I don’t have to fret over all the heartache (it was a hobby back then) that I had with Linux.

Of course, I was a gluten for punishment since I started with Slackware and eventually migrated to Gentoo. I have always loathed “Linux gurus” that run Ubuntu or any other flavor that allowed regular people to use Linux.

I guess I turned into what I hated... since macOS runs beautifully and without a hitch, allowing anyone to use it. It’s a shame most people don’t even know how robust and powerful the macOS (OS X) is.

I still compile a lot of my own software from source, I pipe and grep harder than a drunk frat boy on a sorority girl, and I even run X11. It’s pretty neat being able to run e16 (enlightenment) and Compiz/Beryl. I’m so old school l33t it hurts.

I was a Linux guy from around 1993 to 2008. In 2008, I got into modifying OS X so it would run on a PC. I in 2010, I finally bought my first Mac.

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

I’m a terminal monkey and love bash; macOS feels like Linux but with actual big business application support. I have access to pretty much all the same open source software Linux distros have and full command line control... yet I don’t have to fret over all the heartache (it was a hobby back then) that I had with Linux.

Of course, I was a gluten for punishment since I started with Slackware and eventually migrated to Gentoo. I have always loathed “Linux gurus” that run Ubuntu or any other flavor that allowed regular people to use Linux.

I guess I turned into what I hated... since macOS runs beautifully and without a hitch, allowing anyone to use it. It’s a shame most people don’t even know how robust and powerful the macOS (OS X) is.

I still compile a lot of my own software from source, I pipe and grep harder than a drunk frat boy on a sorority girl, and I even run X11. It’s pretty neat being able to run e16 (enlightenment) and Compiz/Beryl. I’m so old school l33t it hurts.

Mac makes me sad. I see the appeal of it, but I don't like the fact that you are stuck with the one window interface. I don't like how hold the hardware is. I have a mac book pro that has a dual core. It is a 13 inch and I bought it because it was the best 13inch I could find, and I needed it for traveling. I want to go upgrade the other day, but the 13 inchers are still dual cores.

Since I have to run linux at least in a vm the mac doesn't have enough umph to run the os and the vm. I can bog it down to the point that is is useless. That said if I am not working, I don't mind the window manager so much, I would probably like mac a lot more if it would let me run Mate or XFCE, but since that isn't' a choice I stay with Debian.

I have a 5 year old system 76 box running Debian, and it has better specs than the new mac book pros, and half the price.

Personally between you and me, if I was just using a computer to play I would be fine with a mac, but I have a difficult time working on one. I use my 13 inch like people use tablets. I take it to meetings and travel with it because it is small.

I know I could get a Dell XPS 13, but it is nowhere durable as the mac for traveling. Most of the time I am in the VM working in Debian. I would probably like the MAC more if they had newer hardware, and more choices.

The biggest thing that drives me nuts about it, is the multi desktops. I don't think they do that well, at least for me. I don't like the fact that if I open a shell in one desktop and start work, then go to a clean desktop and try and open another shell it takes me back to the original desktop. That drives me crazy every time. It would make me feel much better if I open a new desktop, if it is a fresh desktop, and I can stay there until I choose to leave it.

Like you I started with Slackware and played a little in arch. but mostly I dig Debian. I have worked professionally in Linux since 2000, so it is really what I know. I have had a couple of MBP's, but can't seem to get passed being locked down. I get the appeal, but never really having to work in windows or mac, I got used to running Linux professionally and love it. Seriously, I have always worked professionally in a Linux desktop. My first job back in 2000 they made my run Windows NT4, so I put it in a VM on my laptop. That is the only time I worked in windows and truth be told I don't think, I ever really booted it. I think it was just a requirement to have it. I even went to college using a Linux desktop, and the classes were in outlook. I cheated and used crossover office back then, but I have managed to get though life doing everything I needed to in various linux distros.

I am not talking down about Macs or Windows although it may seem I am, but I have never had to use either of them, so I am horrible at them both, so that kind of makes me a Linux zealot.

Now I run a network out of my home, and I have a full time job working in a Linux shop on three different Debian os's, and one that is on my 13 inch mbp.

I have had discussions with mac guys at work that say that they prefer mac too because they say it runs flawlessly. but to tell you the truth. I have no issues with my Debian w Mate. To me it runs flawlessly. I am probably the minority. but I am OK with that. If I don't have to learn how to work on a Windows or Mac box for the rest of my career, I can live with that. Plus I only support Freebsd and Linux distros at work anyway.

I am not trying to start a flame war just telling you where I come from with a little background.
I don't have a problem with what people prefer. I say work with whatever you are comfortable with. That is when you are your best.

My Mom uses Microsoft Vista still. That is what she prefers. I have no idea how to support that lol. She knows nothing about computers, but she knows she likes the Vista!

Reactions: mots
Mac makes me sad. I see the appeal of it, but I don't like the fact that you are stuck with the one window interface. I don't like how hold the hardware is. I have a mac book pro that has a dual core. It is a 13 inch and I bought it because it was the best 13inch I could find, and I needed it for traveling. I want to go upgrade the other day, but the 13 inchers are still dual cores.

Since I have to run linux at least in a vm the mac doesn't have enough umph to run the os and the vm. I can bog it down to the point that is is useless. That said if I am not working, I don't mind the window manager so much, I would probably like mac a lot more if it would let me run Mate or XFCE, but since that isn't' a choice I stay with Debian.

I have a 5 year old system 76 box running Debian, and it has better specs than the new mac book pros, and half the price.

Personally between you and me, if I was just using a computer to play I would be fine with a mac, but I have a difficult time working on one. I use my 13 inch like people use tablets. I take it to meetings and travel with it because it is small.

I know I could get a Dell XPS 13, but it is nowhere durable as the mac for traveling. Most of the time I am in the VM working in Debian. I would probably like the MAC more if they had newer hardware, and more choices.

The biggest thing that drives me nuts about it, is the multi desktops. I don't think they do that well, at least for me. I don't like the fact that if I open a shell in one desktop and start work, then go to a clean desktop and try and open another shell it takes me back to the original desktop. That drives me crazy every time. It would make me feel much better if I open a new desktop, if it is a fresh desktop, and I can stay there until I choose to leave it.

Like you I started with Slackware and played a little in arch. but mostly I dig Debian. I have worked professionally in Linux since 2000, so it is really what I know. I have had a couple of MBP's, but can't seem to get passed being locked down. I get the appeal, but never really having to work in windows or mac, I got used to running Linux professionally and love it. Seriously, I have always worked professionally in a Linux desktop. My first job back in 2000 they made my run Windows NT4, so I put it in a VM on my laptop. That is the only time I worked in windows and truth be told I don't think, I ever really booted it. I think it was just a requirement to have it. I even went to college using a Linux desktop, and the classes were in outlook. I cheated and used crossover office back then, but I have managed to get though life doing everything I needed to in various linux distros.

I am not talking down about Macs or Windows although it may seem I am, but I have never had to use either of them, so I am horrible at them both, so that kind of makes me a Linux zealot.

Now I run a network out of my home, and I have a full time job working in a Linux shop on three different Debian os's, and one that is on my 13 inch mbp.

I have had discussions with mac guys at work that say that they prefer mac too because they say it runs flawlessly. but to tell you the truth. I have no issues with my Debian w Mate. To me it runs flawlessly. I am probably the minority. but I am OK with that. If I don't have to learn how to work on a Windows or Mac box for the rest of my career, I can live with that. Plus I only support Freebsd and Linux distros at work anyway.

I am not trying to start a flame war just telling you where I come from with a little background.
I don't have a problem with what people prefer. I say work with whatever you are comfortable with. That is when you are your best.

My Mom uses Microsoft Vista still. That is what she prefers. I have no idea how to support that lol. She knows nothing about computers, but she knows she likes the Vista!

I feel ya man, no flaming felt at all.

Just a heads up, though, you can run XFCE on Mac. :)

I’d give you a more verbose reply but I’ve had a bit too much bourbon at the moment and just wanted to say thanks for the excellent reply. I’ll pop in later.

Reactions: ac_
I feel ya man, no flaming felt at all.

Just a heads up, though, you can run XFCE on Mac. :)

I’d give you a more verbose reply but I’ve had a bit too much bourbon at the moment and just wanted to say thanks for the excellent reply. I’ll pop in later.

When you are ready I am all ears(and eyes)
That is intriguing.

I used to be really into computers in high school. I built gaming computer that was really nice (custom watercooling, 780Ti, 4770k). Was top of the line for the time. Then I got my Jeep and that took over most of my time. Stopped playing video games and now I'm typing on a macbook. I got rid of my gaming computer a few years ago. I think PC's are better for most computer enthusiasts out there and macs are better for the casual user. Now that I'm a casual user and don't require a lot of computing power, I'll never go back to a PC.

Yea even the military has gone to ip phones.....it is nice because when someone moves offices the get to keep their number.

When you are ready I am all ears(and eyes)
That is intriguing.

Alrighty, so, as you probably already know, macOS has native support to run X11. Get X11 installed and install macports (or any one of the other nix style package managers). I believe it’s based off of Debian’s package management design... (dpkg?).

Once you’re rocking X11 and macports, you can install any of the thousands of open source software packages just like you can within any Linux environment, including XFCE. Run X11 in full screen mode and have it launch XFCE and you’re cookin’ with fire. You’ll be limited to the open source/nix apps within that WM but the macOS GUI will still be running, albeit, underneath your X11/xfce. Being that X11 and most window managers (at least the good ones, like XFCE) are so lightweight, you won’t notice much if any system performance degradation.

If you’re really happy with your MacBook Pro, though, you can always throw Linux on there and boot it up natively, without any sort of X11 layover or virtualization.

Alrighty, so, as you probably already know, macOS has native support to run X11. Get X11 installed and install macports (or any one of the other nix style package managers). I believe it’s based off of Debian’s package management design... (dpkg?).

Once you’re rocking X11 and macports, you can install any of the thousands of open source software packages just like you can within any Linux environment, including XFCE. Run X11 in full screen mode and have it launch XFCE and you’re cookin’ with fire. You’ll be limited to the open source/nix apps within that WM but the macOS GUI will still be running, albeit, underneath your X11/xfce. Being that X11 and most window managers (at least the good ones, like XFCE) are so lightweight, you won’t notice much if any system performance degradation.

If you’re really happy with your MacBook Pro, though, you can always throw Linux on there and boot it up natively, without any sort of X11 layover or virtualization.

I didn't know you could install X11 on it. I am intrigued and will look into that. Thanks for the reply. I love this forum!

Definitely check out macports as well!

I installed bitchx a few weeks ago so I could get back on IRC.

Ha! I just got it. I installed xfce in X11. It isn't exactly what I was looking for, but I am going to play around with it, and see if I can make it awesome. Thanks for the tip!

For workstations, I use Windows as my primary OS at work, but refuse to support it at home. Hacintosh, real Macs, and Linux (Arch) is all I use at home. I have a couple hack builds on TonyMacx86. I’ve tried about 50 flavors of Linux and various desktops/window managers over the years, but always come back to Arch with Gnome (rolling disro and always has latest software). LateIy, for Arch, I take a shortcut by using Antergos.

For servers, I manage a couple hyper-v clusters and a small data center. There are approximately 50 VMs running Windows Server 2003 all the way to 2016, plus several Oracle Linux/Redhat/Centos VMs, and we also have an IBM iSeries midrange system and several appliances for networking and security.

Sometimes I have to take a deep breath and remember what platform/OS I am using, LOL. Been switch hitting like this for 30+ years. Started working back when Novell and IBM OS2 were king, but In HS I grew up on Apple II, IBM/DOS, and Commodores.

Ha! I just got it. I installed xfce in X11. It isn't exactly what I was looking for, but I am going to play around with it, and see if I can make it awesome. Thanks for the tip!

What’s missing? I’m curious?

When I had X11 fullscreened with e16 on top it was awesome.

Now throw compiz on and you’ll be ready to go! Hehe

What’s missing? I’m curious?

When I had X11 fullscreened with e16 on top it was awesome.

Now throw compiz on and you’ll be ready to go! Hehe

I was hoping it would come with a package manager with specific linux packages. I mean it is sort of what I asked for, but it is really minimalistic. It is pretty interesting. I will definitely play with it more and am happy you mentioned that. I had no idea, but it is what I asked for and what you said it was. It is sort of a xfce emulator running on mac, but I was hoping it was a little more linuxy.

I mean it probably can be. but it definitely isn't out of the gate. It is kind of buggy too. I think it probably ran better before Sierra from what I have been reading.

I am glad there are some more choices for sure.

Honestly it probably wont replace linux for me, but it is definitely cool!