BBQ Brisket

2.87 a lb ...16.5lb Brisket.. SAMS CLUB
That's the only place I buy my Prime at!
If you can pull off a brisket, fall apart tender without being dry, you're a master pitsman my friend.
Anybody can cook a brisket, very few can do it right.
The hardest thing to cook, correctly!

Reactions: Trod286
That's the only place I buy my Prime at!
If you can pull off a brisket, fall apart tender without being dry, you're a master pitsman my friend.
Anybody can cook a brisket, very few can do it right.
The hardest thing to cook, correctly!
Amen,
Brisket done right is hard to beat.
I found about 205 in the middle of the point seems to work pretty well.

I've done some very good briskets lately. Some very picky people loved it at a recent party. I think about 4 hours in a cooler after reaching 203 is the best thing to do with it.

Reactions: Ed1967
I can smoke killer, juicy pork BBQ that falls apart. My briskets always come out dry though. I don't do them anymore, haha
Have you tried the tallow method used in that video? Seems to be the game changer and possibly Franklin's secret. Jeremy has more videos on brisket trying to perfect it. That one in that video looks to be very close to perfect.

I've done some very good briskets lately. Some very picky people loved it at a recent party. I think about 4 hours in a cooler after reaching 203 is the best thing to do with it.
Apparently 10 or 12 hours of rest is even better.

I'll be trying as soon as I can get some time.

I wish I had taken pictures of the finished product. I've smoked probably 50 Briskets so far and have learned that each Brisket is different. Each Brisket has its own make up. some cook faster some slower. I always start them off at 225 for approximately the first 3-6 hrs to induce the smoke flavor and get the bark to set. Time and internal temperature doesn't matter as much as look and feel at that point. Ill temp it to just see it the stall has began. Ill poke my finger in the fat and if it makes a hole without bounce back that tells me the fat has hit the temp of rendering and is a good thing. If the fat bounces back and the color isn't right Ill let it ride and 225 for another hour or so. 225ish allows the smoke and fat to slowly render and keep my Brisket from burning and create bark. When the fat and Bark change color them ill temp it and 99.9 % of the time the Brisket is between 165 and 175, that tells me its time to wrap. NOT in foil, but pink butcher paper to keep the bark and not steam it like foil does. Ill wrap it tightly with 2 full rotations in the butcher paper and kick the smoker up to 265 to 285 to help push through the stall The stall can last several hours but patience is key. Yes you can get a Brisket done in 8 to 10 hors but SLOW and LOW is way better. Once the Brisket temps around 195 Ill began to check it for resistance and tenderness. If I'm 3 to 4 hrs from service time. Ill Burp the Brisket and let it sit on the counter in Butcher paper only for about an hour or until it drops to around 180 then place in the oven that's been off and at normal temp for resting till service time. Getting it to cool down and stop the cooking and reduce heat slowly. If the Brisket finishes early like 6 to 8 hrs away from service then I'll burp the Brisket to release the heat from the grease soaked paper then rewrap it immediately and place it into a cooler with several towels on the bottom and several on top. Ill also stick a meat probe to watch for that 140 temp of bacteria formation. If the Brisket begins to cool to fast around the 4 to 6 hr rest time. Ill boil a pan of water and pour it on to the towels to get it to hold. this will usually buy me and extra 3 to 4 hours. You can also put it back on the smoker and Get the Smoker Temperature to around 150 to hold your Brisket without Cooking it further, Otherwise you'll end up with Pot Roast and an Over cooked Brisket. A lot of Variants play into this and things are never the same due to Weather Wood and Briskets make up so I always need to be flexible but after doing at least 50 with 2 that had to be turned into Chili due to Trial and Error I've Learned what Works for Me and I'm still Learning. Everyone at Grandmas Birthday Party Loved it. It fed 30 people with no leftovers plus i smoked 3 racks of spares and 30 links just incase more people showed up. While sitting enjoying my alcohol beverages and after cutting and serving I received 2 offers to do the same menu at Wedding Rehearsal Dinner and a Baby Revealing Party. Best advice is Rest that Brisket as long as you can at least 2 hrs 6 is better. Watch temperature swings in the smoker and burn a clean fire. This is my experience.

Last edited:
I wish I had taken pictures of the finished product. I've smoked probably 50 Briskets so far and have learned that each Brisket is different. Each Brisket has its own make up. some cook faster some slower. I always start them off at 225 for approximately the first 3-6 hrs to induce the smoke flavor and get the bark to set. Time and internal temperature doesn't matter as much as look and feel at that point. Ill temp it to just see it the stall has began. Ill poke my finger in the fat and if it makes a hole without bounce back that tells me the fat has hit the temp of rendering and is a good thing. If the fat bounces back and the color isn't right Ill let it ride and 225 for another hour or so. 225ish allows the smoke and fat to slowly render and keep my Brisket from burning and not create bark. When the fat and Bark change color them ill temp it and 99.9 % of the time the Brisket is between 165 and 175, that tells me its time to wrap. NOT in foil, but pink butcher paper to keep the bark and not steam it like foil does. Ill wrap it tightly with 2 full rotations in the butcher paper and kick the smoker up to 265 to 285 to help push through the stall The stall can last several hours but patience is key. Yes you can get a Brisket done in 8 to 10 hors but SLOW and LOW is way better. Once the Brisket temps around 195 Ill began to check it for resistance and tenderness. If I'm 3 to 4 hrs from service time. Ill Burp the Brisket and let it sit on the counter in Butcher paper only for about an hour or until it drops to around 180 then place in the oven that's been off and at normal temp for resting till service time. Getting it to cool down and stop the cooking and reduce heat slowly. If the Brisket finishes early like 6 to 8 hrs away from service then I'll burp the Brisket to release the heat from the grease soaked paper then rewrap it immediately and place it into a cooler with several towels on the bottom and several on top. Ill also stick a meat probe to watch for that 140 temp of bacteria formation. If the Brisket begins to cool to fast around the 4 to 6 hr rest time. Ill boil a pan of water and pour it on to the towels to get it to hold. this will usually buy me and extra 3 to 4 hours. You can also put it back on the smoker and Get the Smoker Temperature to around 150 to hold your Brisket without Cooking it further, Otherwise you'll end up with Pot Roast and an Over cooked Brisket. A lot of Variants play into this and things are never the same due to Weather Wood and Briskets make up so I always need to be flexible but after do at least 50 with 2 that had to be turned into Chili due to Trial and Error Ive Learned what Works for Me and I'm still Learning. Everyone at Grandmas Birthday Party Loved it. It fed 30 people with not leftovers plus i smoked 3 racks of spares and 30 links just incase more people showed up. While sitting enjoy my alcohol beverage and after cutting and serving I received 2 offers to do the same menu at Wedding Rehearsal Dinner and a Baby Revealing Party. Best advice is Rest that Brisket as long as you can at least 2 hrs 6 is better. Watch temperature swings in the smoker and burn a clean fire. This is my experience.
When I rested a brisket 6 hours in a cooler it was a little cool when served, I guess this is why you added hot water. Did that water make its way to the meat?

When I rested a brisket 6 hours in a cooler it was a little cool when served, I guess this is why you added hot water. Did that water make its way to the meat?
The Brisket sits 4 towels high and 4 towels to cover. Id pour liberal amounts around the sides and eyeball what i put on top. The Butcher paper has not shown obvious signs of being soaked with water so far as its usually soaked with its own rendered beef Talo. If i make beef Talo i would rub it on the butcher paper prior to wrapping. I use the trimmings from the brisket to create this. However this last Brisket yesterday i didnt as I was using another smoker and Grill all at the same time. So organization was out the window.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
elyuI wish I had taken pictures of the finished product. I've smoked probably 50 Briskets so far and have learned that each Brisket is different. Each Brisket has its own make up. some cook faster some slower. I always start them off at 225 for approximately the first 3-6 hrs to induce the smoke flavor and get the bark to set. Time and internal temperature doesn't matter as much as look and feel at that point. Ill temp it to just see it the stall has began. Ill poke my finger in the fat and if it makes a hole without bounce back that tells me the fat has hit the temp of rendering and is a good thing. If the fat bounces back and the color isn't right Ill let it ride and 225 for another hour or so. 225ish allows the smoke and fat to slowly render and keep my Brisket from burning and not create bark. When the fat and Bark change color them ill temp it and 99.9 % of the time the Brisket is between 165 and 175, that tells me its time to wrap. NOT in foil, but pink butcher paper to keep the bark and not steam it like foil does. Ill wrap it tightly with 2 full rotations in the butcher paper and kick the smoker up to 265 to 285 to help push through the stall The stall can last several hours but patience is key. Yes you can get a Brisket done in 8 to 10 hors but SLOW and LOW is way better. Once the Brisket temps around 195 Ill began to check it for resistance and tenderness. If I'm 3 to 4 hrs from service time. Ill Burp the Brisket and let it sit on the counter in Butcher paper only for about an hour or until it drops to around 180 then place in the oven that's been off and at normal temp for resting till service time. Getting it to cool down and stop the cooking and reduce heat slowly. If the Brisket finishes early like 6 to 8 hrs away from service then I'll burp the Brisket to release the heat from the grease soaked paper then rewrap it immediately and place it into a cooler with several towels on the bottom and several on top. Ill also stick a meat probe to watch for that 140 temp of bacteria formation. If the Brisket begins to cool to fast around the 4 to 6 hr rest time. Ill boil a pan of water and pour it on to the towels to get it to hold. this will usually buy me and extra 3 to 4 hours. You can also put it back on the smoker and Get the Smoker Temperature to around 150 to hold your Brisket without Cooking it further, Otherwise you'll end up with Pot Roast and an Over cooked Brisket. A lot of Variants play into this and things are never the same due to Weather Wood and Briskets make up so I always need to be flexible but after do at least 50 with 2 that had to be turned into Chili due to Trial and Error Ive Learned what Works for Me and I'm still Learning. Everyone at Grandmas Birthday Party Loved it. It fed 30 people with not leftovers plus i smoked 3 racks of spares and 30 links just incase more people showed up. While sitting enjoy my alcohol beverage and after cutting and serving I received 2 offers to do the same menu at Wedding Rehearsal Dinner and a Baby Revealing Party. Best advice is Rest that Brisket as long as you can at least 2 hrs 6 is better. Watch temperature swings in the smoker and burn a clean fire. This is my experience.
You got it!
Even temp and patience and let the meat tell you when it's done.
Nicely put brother!
Good luck on hiring out.

You got it!
Even temp and patience and let the meat tell you when it's done.
Nicely put brother!
Good luck on hiring out.
Got a Call today for a Father's Day Brisket Only. 240.00 for 78.00 Brisket (16lbs). Didn't really want to do it, but thats what I get for offering the other Night.

20210618_183421.jpg

20210618_183427.jpg

Got a Call today for a Father's Day Brisket Only. 240.00 for 78.00 Brisket (16lbs). Didn't really want to do it, but thats what I get for offering the other Night.

View attachment 260224

View attachment 260225
You'll still smoke it as if it was for yourself I'm sure.
When it's ready you'll probably hesitate taking it over.
Nice simple seasoning I see. Let the meat and smoke speak for itself!
I'm probably going to do one tomorrow myself. Especially after seeing this!